Notes From the Annual Meeting - Oct 3, 2009

by daniel-p 148 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    Perhaps they could take this two-stage idea and morph it into a two-generation theology--one generation of anointed is around for the weed-gathering phase, then the second generation is around for the wheat-gathering phase.

Way to go, OMG...

You just gave them the way to sell it to the dubs.

Wouldn't it be ironic (in a sad sort of way) if they monitored these sites and they gleaned info on how to spin the new doctrine? But then again, that would mean that JWN is part of Jehovah's channel of communication...

Okay, nevermind, I'm hurting my brain now...

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

So I guess this means that there were no new GB members announced. Malenfant who was interviewed, isnt he 'anointed'? I wonder why they dont appoint him but just keep him as a "helper"..

• DNCall
    DNCall

This is just an educated guess but I believe the GB knows that a good number have left the organization over the removal of time sensitivity from the "generation" explanation. If Jack Barr actually spoke as quoted, this would be putting some time sensitivity back into the explanation.

Much of what is taught is based more on how past teachings affect the group as a whole. If there is seen to be a good result, they can say the teaching had Jehovah's blessing. If there is a negative result then it's time to adjust the teaching. Any Scriptural foundation is often lost in this process.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Appreciate the updates --

As for the question of what scriptural basis they will use for this possible "generation" change - that is a bit old-school Watchtower. The new guard simply makes the statement without the scriptural gymnastics used in the past. Take the way the other recent generation change was handled or how dropping 1935 as the cut-off was handled. The magazine simply made the statement with maybe a loosely relevant scripture in parantheses for support. They didn't really call too much attention to the "new light" and as a result it wouldn't surprise of many even recognized a change.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I agree with DNC regarding the impact of the removal of temporal limitation of 1914. In addition to those who have actually left the org, there are many times more JWs who have "slowed down" and lost their "sense of urgency" as a result of the 1995 generation change.

I definitely see a lot more JWs buying houses, driving late-model cars, sending kids to college than I did in the 1980s. I'm sure the GB views such "weak" JWs as dangerous. But these weak JWs aren't committing "gross sins" (yet) and they aren't apostates (yet), so the WTS can't kick them out--and probably doesn't want to kick them out. So how does the WTS deal with the increasing number of weak JWs (or as I call them "country club JWs")?

One way to deal with this problem is to create a sense of urgency. This summer's District Convention was an effort at that. Perhaps a re-worked "generation" doctrine will be as well.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Thanks for all these interesting comments--The problem with anyone with half-a-brain is that this latest "overlapping" idea has absolutely no connection with ANY definition of "generation". If that's what Jesus meant, why didn't he simply say that???? But, alas, I doubt few JWs will think about it this way.

• Gayle
    Gayle

How the GB can "stretch" their lies. They claim, the generation since 1914 is 95 years, which can overlap another generation (for another 95 years???!). Crazy, ridiculous! This is so nauseating. I am sure, most JWs surely can't understand this crazy lie any more than most can't explain blood fractions. Yet, they stand by, dazed and confused. I am disappointed in their proclaimed 'increases' but with their "stretching" ability, surely they can stretch their numbers about anything. Frustrating!!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

But how do they KNOW that that's what Jesus meant when he talked about the generation??

• sir82
    sir82

Then again, maybe we're all reading too much into this.

Maybe it was just an old tired man who got confused and didn't know what he was saying.

Or it was his own, personal attempt at reconciling what he believed for 60 or 70 years, that the "generation that saw 1914 will not pass away" and "no new anointed after 1935!", with new realities, that that generation is dead & gone and that thousands more "new anointed" are partaking every year.

If it was just his personal ramblings, he could get away with it, because, well, who's going to correct Jack Barr? But that wouldn't mean the WT is committed to publishing it or changing their doctrine.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

The increases in the U.S. are not surprising. As someone else (I think it was OTWO) pointed out, the increase in bible studies can likely be attributed to the new policy of allowing both parents to count the family study. Previously only the "family head" could count it. [edit: as sir82 pointed out, this isn't correct--the new policy is that the other parent can count the time, not the study]

Also, the increase in publishers and memorial attenders is not surprising and may continue for a few more years. As long as there is significant immigration to the U.S. from Latin American countries, I expect to see an increase in U.S. publishers. For whatever reason, Latinos seem to be unusually receptive to the WTS message. It's probably a combination of (1) coming from a religious background, (2) seeing the hypocrisy in that religion (usually Roman Catholicism), and (3) being an immigrant in a new country desiring to find a social network--a place to fit in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit