IS THERE ANY JUSTIFCATION THAT THE GOD OF THE BIBLE KILLED BABIES….??

by Mr. Majestic 115 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Gladring,

A very valid question, I do NOT ignore the verses I find morally objectionable, I QUESTION them.

I believe in an all knowing and all powerful God, I also believe that the NT and the New Covenant came about for a reason, that reason was the errors in understanding by some of the OT writers.

We really can't have it both ways, IF we believe in an all knowing God and ALL the entails, we can't see him as uncaring and genocidal, as any negative "thing". How can a being that knows all, be uncaring and merciless on childern ( as an example) that have NOTHING to do with the crimes of their parents ?

If we are to believe the words of his Son, of God Incarnate in the form of his Divine Son, then God is loving and just.

Where is the love and justness in systematic slaughter ?

If we are to believe that God gave/allowed us to have free will then we must accept that the atrocities commited fall on US and not God.

The Hebrews slaughter the women and children because they CHOOSE to and then the view it, erroneously, as God's command, God's will.

What do I base this on?

That I would rather believe in the errors of Man than the lack of love of God.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I like the fact that the God of the Bible is not some namby-pamby, bleeding heart pacifist.
    As one poster (LWT) mentioned on another thread, there comes a time when some people simply need killing.
    Sylvia, I become more alarmed with your thinking every day. You've got some serious issues woman.

Oh, pish! Hush up, before I put a pox on you and that trashy green bird of yours! Think about this: With all the parents killed, who was going to rear those babies? Dispensing with them, forthwith, seemed the most humane, imo. Oh, they could have been taken captive and, when older, sold into a life of servitude, but which would have been the greater evil? I do, indeed, have issues. However, I've seen and heard things that you have only read about in your history books. Sylvia

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Think about this: With all the parents killed, who was going to rear those babies? Dispensing with them, forthwith, seemed the most humane, imo.

And why did god kill David and Bath-sheba's child? Did it "need to be killed" as well? Or was that simply to satisfy the whims of a vengeful and bloodthirsty god? That account in the bible always troubled me deeply, even when I was a believing JW.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

It always amazes me how many times this God orders the killing of innocent people even after the Ten Commandments said “Thou shall not kill”. For example, God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people (1 Chronicles 21). God also orders the destruction of 60 cities so that the Israelites can live there. He orders the killing of all the men, women, and children of each city, and the looting of all of value (Deuteronomy 3). He orders another attack and the killing of “all the living creatures of the city: men and women, young, and old, as well as oxen sheep, and asses” (Joshua 6). In Judges 21, He orders the murder of all the people of Jabesh-gilead, except for the virgin girls who were taken to be forcibly raped and married. When they wanted more virgins, God told them to hide alongside the road and when they saw a girl they liked, kidnap her and forcibly rape her and make her your wife! Just about every other page in the Old Testament has God killing somebody! In 2 Kings 10:18-27, God orders the murder of all the worshipers of a different god in their very own church! In total God kills 371,186 people directly and orders another 1,862,265 people murdered.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sylvia,

We do NOT rationalise an atrocity, that is what people in the "dark" do.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It troubled me, too, Keyser. Still does.

One of my sisters and I had many a discussion about this account.

Incidentally, she left the JW's long before I did.

If you google your question, you'll get some interesting perspectives.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia,
    We do NOT rationalise an atrocity, that is what people in the "dark" do.

Not rationalizing, my brother.

Just throwing out some "have you considered" questions.

Sylvia

• glenster
    glenster

Another of these topics. How about babies? He has everyone die. How about the
    old woman waiting for the bus with the bucket over there? He has everyone
    die--it's part and parcel of the package, God's prerogative, etc. How about 800
    people in a battle in 700 BC? If He didn't have them die then, He's have had
    them die later. He has everyone die now--what are you worried about 800 people
    in 700 BC for? He has everyone die. You got some people that don't die, that
    would be a bigger deal.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sylvia,

I have considered this deepy, very deeply, and I can't fathom a God like that, sorry.

One thing history has taught us is that, even to this very day, people commit horrible acts in the name of God, becauce God willed them too and IF we choose to believe the OT, then makes makes these people any different ?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I have considered this deepy, very deeply, and I can't fathom a God like that, sorry.

That's quite alright - no need to be sorry.

You can't. I can.

The world keeps on turning.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit