Can you Believe Some of the New Posters on Here?

by lifelong humanist 82 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Sometimes I can't believe some of the old ones, so it really doesn't matter to me.
    Sylvia

He's only 35 Syl, although it does appear that dementia is setting in.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear all,

Thank you very much for "defending" me. This is rather amusing. Is my English SO good that it can lead somebody to believe I'm faking the whole thing? That's crazy. What a waste of time that would be for me and for you!

Lifelong Humanist, please don't doubt me. I answered you immediately when I read your post. My first answer is written on my thread.

I'll tell you English words I've learnt today: "thread", "epiphany", "newbie" (whatever that means, it's not in my dictionary)... and more I can't remember right now.

If this will convince you, I'll rewrite everything in Spanish on the spot. But this is becoming rather childish...

It's 19:58 and I have to help my kids with homework, give them dinner (Spanish dinner-time: never before 20:00 and often as late as 23:30 for adults) and put them to bed. I'll be with you again soon.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    He's only 35 Syl, although it does appear that dementia is setting in.

LOL.

Sylvia

• shamus100
    shamus100

Hasta luego seniorita.

el troll?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Dear Lifelong Humanist,

I find that many newbies come on board with the most incredible stories to buy. Often, they are in a nearly impossible situation with the JW's in the family or the congregation and they ask for help, then say the suggestions won't work in their situation. Some of those people are trolls, but there are so many nearly impossible situations (to a mind-control cult member) that I cannot typically separate the legitimate from the fake. Then there are others who like to defend anything JW- if we said "black" they would say "white." I doubt hardly any JW-defenders on here are anything but teens and other pranksters seeking attention.

BUT I just give the benefit of the doubt until I am pretty sure a person is not genuine. When I think they are fakers and when I am sure they are, I rarely call them out anymore but simply ignore them, occasionally calling out an inconsistency for the sake of others reading their comments.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    Newbie calling out a newbie...priceless

LOL....THAT is funny!

• flipper
    flipper

LIFELONG HUMANIST- You didn't explain what has caused your " normal belief system to be in doubt" - let me guess - you were lied to by a mind controlling cult - Jehovah's Witnesses. Am I right ? My wife - who has never been a Jehovah's Witness remarked to me that it seems that suspicion runs rampant with ex-JW's on these boards and that not being fooled by newbie posters ends up taking priority over sincerely helping most of the new legitimate posters who have real problems just like you and me.

There have been times on the board when a person who just joined the board had legitimate needs and concerns - and a " gang mentality " develops in which people gang up so intensely on a newbie that they run away scared to death thinking us ex-JW's are the devil reincarnated. You get my point ?

It might very well be that you don't understand THIS PARTICULAR newbie and her posts. But to lump ALL NEWBIES into the title of your thread as if it's hard to believe the rest of them is stretching the paranoia button a bit far- don't you think ? Look - I was in the JW's for 44 years. I know how hard it is to trust again AFTER leaving the cult - but it doesn't mean everyone is out to get us. I would say that 90 % of the newbies I've seen joining in the last couple months are real, legitimate people who want and need support and information to get them going again in post JW life . Something we should consider.

Here is a quote from Steve Hassan's book which shows that exiting cult members can have problems trusting people or their judgment of people . In his book, " Releasing the Bonds " Hassan states on pg. 321 , " Another common problem is a lack of trust. Ex-members sometimes feel that they can never trust anyone again- least of all themselves. They fear intimacy and avoid commitment to people , jobs , and even hobbies, because they worry about taking another emotional risk. They need to have the tools to assess new people and situations , and to understand that when they were recruited into a cult, they didn't have those tools. They need to understand that they were vulnerable to cult influence because they didn't understand mind control and were deceived into an involvement. Now they know better. They need to forgive themselves, and trust that they have new tools to make good decisions. "

So after exiting the witnesses it's good to understand WHAT has caused us to not trust people and realize it's a carry over effect from being duped by the Jehovah's Witness cult. Life is good and there are a lot of good people out here on the board to get to know and we can learn a lot from their experience- no matter how bizarre it seems

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

So after exiting the witnesses it's good to understand WHAT has caused us to not trust people and realize it's a carry over effect from being duped by the Jehovah's Witness cult. Life is good and there are a lot of good people out here on the board to get to know and we can learn a lot from their experience- no matter how bizarre it seems.

I think its a waste of time to try and sniff out trolls. You really tell on yourself more then who you think is a troll....

Trolls act like trolls. They aren't going to change. Hell, they probably won't even shower, so why worry?

• flipper
    flipper

GOLDENSKY- I agree- it is rather childish. But remember some of the folks here were duped by the Jehovah's Witness cult. It can cause paranoia and doubt. I welcome you to the board and look forward to more posts by you ! Take care , don't take this too seriously. Please try to benefit from the rest of the great information that gets brought out here concerning the JW cult. Peace to you, Mr. Flipper

• megs
    megs

I agree completely with Mr. Flipper's post, and I too have noticed a "gang mentality" and a complete suspicion of anyone new... As a non-dub, I pretty much take people at face-value unless they give me definitive reason not to believe them... but then I've never experienced what all of you have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit