Can you Believe Some of the New Posters on Here?

by lifelong humanist 82 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Quietlyleaving...wow!! Someone actually did that for 2yrs? That was some effort! I wonder what makes people lie about themselves? These types of sites are invaluable for people who don't no where else to turn. For someone to abuse it like that, it's really sad.

There have been several "trolls" or whatever you want to call them over the years. Sometimes they...their threads, are entertaining, sometimes like Quitelyleaving said....people get hurt. Just keep reading...and doing this. or

Too bad there isn't a "best of" section.

Welcome all NEWBIES.....................

lisa

• AgapeAcceptance
    AgapeAcceptance

Well I'm a newbie so I best just keep quiet... <grin>

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Well I'm a newbie so I best just keep quiet... <grin>

Oh look another one...

lisa

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

One will usually see a pattern forming with posters. I just let everyone here be and don't really sweat it.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Goldensky,

A newbie is a newcomer in a group (slang)

A troll, specifically an internet troll is a person who attempts to disrupt online discussions with inflammatory remarks. Exactly how the troll chooses to disrupt things varies from troll to troll. It is a derogatory label but so widely used here that it has lost a lot of meaning. On this board it is usually used to refer to people who are in fact genuine believing JWs (ie here to preach) pretending to be either studies, an interested third party or anything other than a believing JW.

Hope that helps

Snowbird

I can't believe some of the old posters on here!

LOL. Couldn't agree more.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Thank you very much, Caedes! Your beautifully worded definitions have fully cleared up the meaning of both words. You are good at this. Would it be too much to ask you to define "dub" for me? I keep seeing it everywhere and my dictionary, once more, doesn't help much. It seems to replace the word "Jehovah's witness" or "brother"...

And one more thing: the word LOL. I gather it means the person is laughing, doesn't it? And why do they write it in capital letters? Or is it just an American thing?

• Caedes
    Caedes

Goldensky,

Glad to be of help.

LOL stands for laugh out loud another variant is ROFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my arse off. Any acronym should capitalised, I'm from the UK so I think it fairly universal at least for the Internet.

Dub is 'short' for the pronunciation of the W in JW (in much the same way George W Bush was nicknamed dubya), another meaning of dub is the name given to putting new dialogue over a foreign film (which seems to be vaguely approriate to the witnesses, at least to me they seem to be dubbed over with someone elses words.)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Hi GOldensky!

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Seeing as this is now about asking meanings, lol, what does Borg mean? Ive seen it quite alot on here. Im presuming its 'org' as in organisation, but what does the B in front stand for? Thanks :)

• Heaven
    Heaven

I see no reason not to believe Goldensky. I usually wait to see what transpires with people. Time always tells. And I have a good memory.

Regarding the term "Dub": The first sound/syllable of the letter 'W' used as a shortform for the letter 'W'. In the context of Jehovah's Witnesses, 'dub' refers to the first letter in the 'Witnesses' name. It is meant as a derogatory term, labelling someone as not very intelligent. Similar in sound to the word 'dumb'. Also similar to the 'dubya' that George Bush Junior is called to distinguish him from his father and to point out that he doesn't appear to be the most intelligent of U.S. Presidents.

LOL: acronym (hence the capitals) for Laughing Out Loud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit