Can you Believe Some of the New Posters on Here?

by lifelong humanist 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Borg: a term used to describe the WTS/GB/JWs gleaned from the Borg of Star Trek, a psuedo-race of cybernetic organisms, part humanoid, part machine that live in a 'hive collective' that force the assimilation of individuals into their 'collective'. No one is individual anymore. Their main mantra:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

Seems to suit, bang on, how the JWs operate.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Believe it or not, I've just woken up from my siesta (very Spanish, I know) and I've immediately sat in front of my computer for my "free" English lesson (just kidding about the lesson, but not about the siesta).

Thank you very much. I'm amazed at the host of intelligent people out there.

I also wanted to know what "Borg" meant. I thought it stood for "Bible organization". But it's clear now.

Hello, Isaacaustin.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I've just woken up from my siesta (very Spanish, I know)

Wish we had siestas! Sigh. Both the Spanish ... and cats ... know:

Cat Sleeping

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Tranquila, Goldensky. Aqui todo el mundo duda de todo el mundo. No olvides que quien viene a este 'site' es porque tiene dudas sobre su religion. Pero es un buen sitio y hallaras muchas respuestas.

When I joined this board (after years of lurking), a lot of people jumped over me because I said I'm an elder and former CO (which is true); I guess they thought I had some 'special insight'. I read a lot, and posted frequently, but then grew tired of many threads dealing with minutiae, and that unbearable 'Reniaa' stage this board went thru a few months ago.

But as I told Goldesnky (above, in Spanish, one of my two mother languages), this site is great. There's a considerable degree of distrust and eve hostility, but I would expect that, considering people get here driven precisely by doubt and feeling deceived. So, yes, paranoia is part of the deal. But I enjoy it, and have come to 'know' great people here, people I like, despite the fact that I don't know them.

We have to stop labeling everybody. That's in part what we're trying to get away from in the WTS. I'm and elder; I don't reveal my identity. Does that make me an "undercover elder"? Sure! But it doesn't mean I'm here fishing for information or spying. I'm just broadening my views, findind the truth, learning from other people's experience.

Newbies like Goldensky can only enrich this experience. Trolls like who opened this post, just feed the paranoia.

He dicho!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leolaila, you left me mouth-opened ("me has dejado boquiabierta") with your superb post correcting my style. I LOVED IT! Have you studied English philology? How I wish you lived here and could teach me more. Honestly, I'd be ready to pay many euros for each hour's class. I mean it. All your posts have been lovely.

Yes, I do study English philology and that of other languages. I am interested in how grammar varies between different languages, even in the question of how one's mother tongue can influence a second language. So that's a special interest of mine. :) But I am doubtful that direct tutoring on the finer details of style would be as helpful as simple good old-fashioned social interaction with native speakers....kind of like what we are doing right now although best in real life of course.

• parakeet
    parakeet

lifelonghumanist: I've just replied to a thread started by 'goldensky' - an alleged Spanish lady with lots of history as an extremely devout JW in Spain. English, she claims, is her second language. Yet, her first post seem totally implausiable to me - her word choice, punctuation, style of expression just seem alien to me.

lifelong, maybe this excerpt from My Fair Lady will help put things into perspective for you:

Henry Higgins (mocking his competitor's attempts to determine Eliza's true identity):

"Her English is too good, he said, that clearly indicates that she is foreign.

Whereas other people are instructed in their native language, English people aren't.

And although she may have studied with an expert dialectitian and grammarian,

I ... can ... tell ... that ... she ... was ... born ........... HUNGARIAN!"

Sorry, goldensky, Spanish doesn't rhyme with Hungarian.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, how about this:

"Her English is too good, he said, that clearly indicates that she is foreign.

Whereas other people are instructed in their native language, English people aren't.

And although she has studied with expert dialectitians to make her accent vanish

I ... can ... tell ... that ... she ... was ... born ........... SPANISH!"

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    On the other hand we have had a very long time poster who masqueraded for years as 2 people. This poster was very articulate and aspired to be a writer. When he was unmasked both his screen roles got deleted. He posed as dedpoet and fullofdoubtnow and they eventually got married - also fullofdoubtnow was dying.

No, no, no, not the evil spectre of Trevolinda....get out of here ghost, get out of here ghost, get out and don't you dare turn around and come back, for if you do, all the armies of my boot will kick you in the teeth! AND YOU WILL BE CAST UP, and THROWN DOWN into the dirt and thrust back into perdition! And as long as I have teeth, I will bite you! And if I have no teeth, I WILL GUM YOU!!! And as long as I have fists, I WILL BASH YOU!!! NOW GET OUT OF HERE GHOST!!! GET OUUUUUUT OF HERE GHOST!! GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it left! :) Whewwwww!!

However, if this forum is ever haunted by Trevolinda again, please be sure to request an exorcism by someone else....I'm bushed!

• Leolaia
  • Leolaia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit