Does anyone think that maybe we're just wrong?

by paul from cleveland 143 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I often ask myself if what I am doing, going against my JW family is the right thing to do, for myself and my children.

I ask Jesus to direct me, to send God's Holy Spirit to giude me and you knwo what happens?

Every morning when I read the NT, whatever book and chapter I am on, there is always something there that tells me that the WT is wrong, whether it be about disfellowship, or Blood or 1914 or 1919 or Jesus is Michael, or anythign else.

If I don't agree with the doctrines of the JW's, how can I be one?

I just can't, period.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I thought if Hitler is considered one of the worst human beings that every lived, why would we say God is going to do basically the same thing.

I am sure that your gut feeling, as quoted above is both right and true. I came to a similar conclusion around ten years ago. Since then I have never doubted that conclusion, not for one second.

It is sound logic. Who can love a God who threatens to kill you if you do not obey him close enough, or are ignorant of the right way to serve him? The sincere love of God shown by millions of people should never be a reason for their slaughter if they are born into the "wrong" church or culture. That is not Godly....

I agree with you that a lot of ex JWs seem to stumble because of people ..To me that would not be an issue . It is what is printed on the pages that count. There is more than enough evidence of flip flopping and deceit on those pages to convince me that the Organization does Not show evidence of "Spirit direction" ....

Please keep reading , check the "Best of" threads for some gems of knowledge. After all, if it bears Gods name, it has to "Live up to the name"

• minimus
    minimus

Paul, it is either the Truth or it isn't. JWs are a CULT. It's sad that you seem to be questioning what is obvious. The theology, the dates, the "love", the rules are not what they are supposed to be. JWs really do not act like Christians. They act more like Pharisees.

• greenie
    greenie

I thought the same sort of thing about the UN example - maybe it wasn't that big of a deal and just really poor judgment. In an explanation the society gave, they said they didn't realize the implications of being a member and terminated their membership as soon as they did. HOWEVER, then I read somewhere how long they were actually a member - what I read was several years, maybe even a decade? That seemed like a longer time than necessary for it to be simply bad judgment. That's when I began to think it was hypocritical, too. Can anyone confirm the dates?

The argument about being God's chosen organization in 1914 is also compelling to me. The JWs of 1914 look a lot different than the ones today. Would Jesus have made that big of a mistake? I don't think so. If Christmas and birthdays and blood were wrong then, they were simply wrong.

The blood doctrine is also a biggie for me and I find it TOTALLY hypocritical - not a simple mistake - for several reasons. They say you can't have a blood transfusion PERIOD. But, you can have treatments that use blood fragments like to treat hemophilia. HOWEVER, in order to make those treatments, tons of blood has to be donated and stored. Now how the heck does that reconcile? Are you told to pour the blood on the ground if it's spilled?

How about criticizing the Catholic church for their pedophile problem, but paying off victims of sexual abuse within the JW organization AND not reporting the pedophiles.

Hmmmm, what else? Oh, the things they choose to condemn for pagan reasons. It's so obvious that they pick and choose. Like they wear wedding rings and shave, but both of those habits came from pagans. Then they say, well we do this because it's an accepted non-harmful custom (someone on here can point you to the WT that has these explanations), but you could say the same about all the other things they ban like clinking glasses, saying bless you, etc. etc.

Same thing with tattoos - it's not okay to get a tattoo, but it is okay to get a boob job. Heh? How does that make sense?

And I am like you, Paul, I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt, people are allowed to make mistakes. BUT, they tell you that you MUST be a JW or never ever have heard of them before to survive Armageddon. Any org that's putting that strong of strictures on its members can't really afford to make that big of mistakes. To be clearer on this point, you cannot base your religion on the principal that you are right and everyone else is wrong, then actually turn out to be wrong about your own practices which you sometimes have in common the other religions you're chastising.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Hi Paul,

Your feelings are normal. I think with the worlds economic issues and the latest terrorist arrests, might be triggering some of those old emotions in us, not saying this is you, but it used to be everytime we heard negativity going on in the world our first reaction was " the end is coming!" You have to ask your self if you are having these feelings out of fear of Armegedon or because you really believe they have the truth?

They really make you feel like they have the truth and that they are Gods spokemen, but where is the proof that they were choosen in 1918? Other than them saying so? How do there teachings really compare with the bible? You might try checking out 4jehovah.org. It gives good scriptural comparisons to the JWs beliefs and that of christianity. It may help you make your decision.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

At least on this board you can ask questions. If you met with elders and told them of your concerns, you surely would not be considered for reinstatement!

Many of us have felt the same way. That's why my name is Quandry....I don't know what to believe anymore. BUT....as someone pointed out on this forum, and I totally agree, Better to have questions that you can't answer, than answers that you can't question.

I, for one, was floored by the UN scandal. One could be df'd for joining the YMCA in order to use the pool, but they associate in ANY form with the UN, even agreeing to promote their views, and it's O.K.? And, if you have complaints about it, or bring it to anyone's attention, you could be df'd.

HYPOCRISY!!

Keep reading and find out more.

• steve2
    steve2

It's a sign of humility for any human to admit he or she could be wrong. I was never "free" to admit such a thing when I was a JW - never. Now the shoe's on the other foot: JWs are invited to consider they could be wrong. Ouch! The frightening double standard raises its disturbing head.

As for your panic attacks: Hey, you're a human being, exposed to the JW environment in which a sky-high premium is put on being right and all outsiders being wrong. You'd be pretty strange not to be taken with thoughts of "Uh-oh, may be I did the wrong thing - I could be wrong". Make space for these thoughts - you cannot will them away. Build a life worth living anyway.

Oh, yes, and one other thing: Children need constant reassurance that everything's okay; you don't - you're an adult. JWs would love you to come running back to the organization playpen, but you're much too big for that now. Enjoy being a human being who is taking responsibility for your own life and increasingly develop skills so you can accept a wide range of normal human emotion without needing to run back to the hypocritical playpen.

• greenie
    greenie

Ah, here's the UN letter. The WTS applied for membership in 1991, were granted it in 1992, and requested it be terminated in...1993? No. 1995? No. 1999? Nope. 2001? Bingo! Ten years later.

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/pdfs/watchtower.pdf

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

Hi Paul, sent you a pm....top right of the screen, click on the envolope :))

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

The true test comes from the question.

To be able to ask yourself that question is a sign of an active reasoning mind.

The real test is would you be able to form and seriously consider that same question when an active JW? Or would it be a sign of spiritual weakness?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit