Ever had some Witness storm out or turn off a Movie you were watching! Which one?

by Witness 007 102 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Once, while at Bethel, we were watching a PG movie in a Bethel Elder's room.

At one point in the film, there was graphic nudity. (This is actually not uncommon in PG films of the 70's. They were ignorant of this.)

The elder and his wife were quite embarrased. Another guest and I really rubbed it in good, teasing them about the fine, Christian entertainment we had been invited to view.

I do not recall for sure, but the film might have been The Day of the Jackal (1973).

• homeschool
    homeschool

don't tell me homey....jack barr?.... Nope, Ninny, not Jack Barr. Never met the guy, but I heard he sure is a cute old man!

I remember talks at my old hall about Titanic & the "steamy" scene. I'd already seen it five times (okay, 6 ) & was really scared somebody would tell on me.

• Chalam
    Chalam

99% of all Witnesses have nver seen Mel Gibson's The Last Passion of Christ.

The movie has some flaws, particularly the slow motion falling scenes in the passion walk,and I wouldn't let a child view it because of the violence, but it was an interesting retelling of the story.

I lent the film to my JW friend. I saw it on the side at his house several months later. I got the feeling he hadn't watched it as it had been deemed "apostate" material due to the cross in the film and Mel Gibson being a Catholic. Anyhow, I didn't ask for it back, just left it there in the hope someone will get to see it in the future.

For sure, the film is not for minors, it is certificated "18" here in the UK. Some believe though the physical punishment Jesus went through was actually noticeably worse than even the film depicted so the film isn't probably OTT. It is not a light film but I recommend it to all who haven't seen it and are interested.

All the best,

Stephen

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A whole group went to Indiana Jones Temple of Doom, including my elder father. He got in heaps of trouble afterwards and never would go to movies again with other JWs after that.

When I was in Bethel I went to White Men Can't Jump with my two room mates. It was loaded with swearing. One of my room mates walked out but I stayed with the other one. The one that walked out went to the bethel elders and we were had an elders meeting and warning for it.

• jwdecendant
    jwdecendant

Basic Instinct. I went with 3 JW teens and they were appauled at the opening scence and stormed out shortly AFTER it was over. Funny how none of them closed their eyes or turned their heads until the sex was over. I'm sure it was because they didn't know Sharon Stone wasn't married to the guy until she killed him. Or, maybe they didn't realize the movie was Rated R until they saw it. I guess the attendant asking for our ID's, the movie advertisments or the big R beside the title on the marque didn't get noticed. I have to give them credit though, they did wait on me while I watched so they could council me afterwards. That may have been because I drove though.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

While I was at Bethel a friend of mind wanted to see an "R" rated movie that was palying at the local theatre. He figured it would be safe to go on Monday night as that was the Bethel family Watchtower study. So he goes to the theatre, gets the ticket and is told, "sure is a lot of you guys here tonight". He was rather surprised as the place was packed with Bethelites.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

YES, i remember. One time back in the early '90's watching Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey when all three people i came with left like a bunch of scared bunny rabbits during that seance scene.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Wasn't there a part in Weenend at Bernie's where the girlfriend puts her foot under the table between Bernie's legs? Yeah, we had to turn that movie off at that point. I still have never seen the whole thing, hehe

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Weenend at Bernie's

:p~ freudian slip? I think there would be a the-gf-puts-foot-into-Bernie's-lap scene in a movie named thusly.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I remember JW's watching Austin Powers movies and being OK with it because it wasn't rated R,

The same people that would not watch an R movie with an Adult story, thinking plot,

with a message!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit