Ever had some Witness storm out or turn off a Movie you were watching! Which one?

by Witness 007 102 Replies latest jw experiences

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Leprechaun-that poor woman-glad for her she is your ex.

• Scully
    Scully

My dad turned off The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (with Dustin Hoffmann) when it was on TV in the 80s. Oddly enough he let the masturbating-to-the-medical-textbook scene pass, but when the male and female lead characters started making out in a field, he turned it off.

I left the theatre during the human-sacrifice-with-hot-wax scene in The Young Sherlock Holmes, circa late 1985. In my defense, though, I was pregnant at the time and the thought of human sacrifice made me start throwing up.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Yeah, I think this has happened to all of us at some point... I can think of several examples off hand from back when I was in, similar to ones that have already been described. I was actually kindof a hard-ass on this point actually. I had a rigid rule that I went by: Anything R-rated was off limits. Anything PG-13 was fair game, and I do mean anything. Although there were certain PG-13 movies I avoided, I didn't criticize others if they wanted to watch them, but if I knew of ones who watched R-rated movies, I stopped just shy of calling down fire and brimstone to rain down upon thee. LOL

As my doubts crept in, eventually I just didn't care anymore.

My favorite thing though, as I reflect on this topic, are the idiots who used to say, "When, such-and-such happened, I ALMOST walked out of the movie." I might have said this early on on my teenage years, but I quickly figured out not to say that because it's absolutely stupid. ALMOST DOESN'T COUNT. You can say that you "feel bad" that you DIDN'T walkout and that you "regret" seeing the movie, but don't bitch like the movie offended your holier-than-thou attitude, and then feign righteous indignation, when the fact is YOU DIDN'T WALK OUT! You sat there and enjoyed the demon-inspired serving from Satan's table every bit as much as the rest of us.

"I ALMOST walked out." Gimmie a break... and you ALMOST made it through Armageddon. :D

• homeschool
    homeschool

ALMOST DOESN'T COUNT. You can say that you "feel bad" that you DIDN'T walkout and that you "regret" seeing the movie, but don't bitch like the movie offended your holier-than-thou attitude LoL...a couple folks popped into my mind after reading that.

I've been to a jw's home where they OWN rated R movies on DVD but wouldn't paly them because I was there. They didn't want it to "look" bad. Too late

• ninja
    ninja

don't tell me homey....jack barr?....

• LucyA
    LucyA

casper. seriously not kidding!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Thanks, Poppers.

• cantleave
    cantleave

In the 80's we had an Elder tell the whole congregation not to watch Gremlins. Guess what all us teenagers went to see the following Saturday? BTW - He was right it was crap.

• brinjen
    brinjen

There was a couple of dubs in my congregation who lectured anyone for watching The Lion King. Rulership belongs to Jah alone apparently...

• dinah
    dinah

Good Lord, this whole thread is just NUTS! The saddest part is that's really how they think. Gimme a break! Alladin and The Lion King?

If violence bothers them, they should pray they die before the Big A.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit