Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I've already heard one young mother say as soon as this passes, she's quitting her job. She only works so they can have health insurance.

God forbid a child should be raised by it's mother.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    and the system Congress is trying to pass without most of them having even read it!

Not sure what all this talk about "the system", or "the bill" that Congress hasn't read or is trying to pass is. There are at least 3 bills floating around right now. There's nothing to vote on yet.

As I pointed out in some thread, the UK still has private insurance for those who can afford it. I would assume that Canada has the same. There will always be those wealthy who are willing to pay for more individualized care. It happens right here in this country now. Why is it so difficult to imagine also having a public option? Hell, even if it is single payer, there will still be those who choose to add on. Just like some Medicare recipients do now, those who can afford it.

Imagine if the 600 pound guy could go to a doctor when he has a problem, instead of an emergency room? Wouldn't that cut costs substantially right there?

• willyloman
    willyloman

Coming in late so forgive me if my two cents has already been contributed:

The short answer to your question is, Americans are NOT afraid of healthcare reform nor are they opposed to it. The current debate is no longer about whether we should have healthcare reform and universal healthcare. It is about whether a bill can be passed in the present political climate.

The Republicans held power for 8 years, during which time they bankrupted the economy by starting a war with ulterior motives, suspended many of our rights under the Constitution, moved the American political agenda far to the right, and created huge opportunities for wealth for their friends. They did this with a propaganda machine that Goebbels would have envied.

Now having lost power, they have launched a propaganda initiative, planned long ago, to cast doubt on the Democratic president's reforms - which had been vetted by the American people in the last election and endorsed by a significant margin of victory. Their vicious propaganda assault, aided by their previous purchase of their own media empire, is designed to derail healthcare for only one reason: Passage of a successful healthcare package would run President Obama's popularity up the chart and assure not only his reelection in 2012 but an unassailable majority in both houses of Congress post-2010.

That is something the Republicans cannot, will not, allow to happen if they can help it; and they are doing everything in their power to prevent it. Bottom line: This is all about power.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Bottom line: This is all about power.

You've made some good points.

However, the Democrats have the votes to pass any reform measures that they want to. They need (literally) not a single Republican vote to pass legislation.

So, how does that fit in with your statement, here:

Passage of a successful healthcare package would run President Obama's popularity up the chart and assure not only his reelection in 2012 but an unassailable majority in both houses of Congress post-2010.
  • Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Hey guys, you think it's only the adverage citizen that is paranoid about Obamacare? How about asking Bill Gates what he thinks of it...

A quote from the article Yizuman posted:

"The foundation's decision to drastically reduce its exposure to health-related stocks is striking, as many of its charity grants have been disbursed to address developing country health issues. Its move comes against the background of anxiety among drugmakers and healthcare insurance firms about the potential impact of the Obama administration's proposed overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system, which could put pressure on prescription drug prices."

Yizuman, the article you posted supports that "Obamacare" will be successful and is a good thing. :) The chartity is pulling its stock, because Bill Gates understands that IF the prescription drug companies no longer monopolize the U.S. markets, they will less profitable, and their stock value will decrease. He wants the charity to get out now, while the stocks are at their highest, due to the drug companies' virtual monopoly.

This is one of the most resounded, bottom-line, demonstrations of support for "Obamacare" out there. Thank you for posting it.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    However, the Democrats have the votes to pass any reform measures that they want to. They need (literally) not a single Republican vote to pass legislation.

Except all those Democrats are not on the same page. No one ever said that there weren't greedy stupid Democrats out there.

We really need to outlaw lobbyists. Make campaign ads some kind of public service announcement or something. Politicians spend so damn much time and money on campaigning, they don't even have time for the job they were elected to do.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    God forbid a child should be raised by it's mother.
    Actually, 6o9, I thought this same thing. This may free up some moms to be able to stay home and raise their own kids. The woman I mentioned is not a professional and works a 9-5 in a lackluster job she hates. Her income is minimal but it does provide health insurance for their little family, but by the time she pays daycare, buys work clothes for the office, and gasoline to and from, she brings home little else. Her self-employed husband does pretty good counting the income under the table but not enough to pay health insurance for his family since he has no employer paying a portion.
  • Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Exactly... and the system Congress is trying to pass without most of them having even read it! How does one trust that?

Hello Coffee-black. Why is it that the only time people seem to be bothered by not understanding the content of bills is when it has to do with healthcare?

Did you read the Patriot Act? Did you rail about Congress voting on it before they read it? Is there ANY OTHER bill in which you have EVER complained about your congressperson not reading it completely before voting on it besides health care reform? If not, why not?

I don't find that argument presented by those against health care reform to be particularly persuasive; in fact, I feel it to be a red herring.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Justitia T....I do understand why people are concerned about this. Those other things you mentioned are not that up close and personal to the average joe, but issues pertaining to income and health ARE.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The "they aren't even reading the bill" thing is just a red herring. For one thing, the Congressmen are well informed of the substance of the various bills by their staff (if they so choose to be). For another, when your opposition is reading every line and sub-line looking for something to trip you up with, the damn thing is VERY well read.

And for all that opposition research, what has the opposition claimed as being "snuck through"? "Death Panels". That's it, out of 1000+ pages, they found "death panels" (where no death panels exist, btw) in an ammendment written by a republican.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit