Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Passage of a successful healthcare package would run President Obama's popularity up the chart and assure not only his reelection in 2012 but an unassailable majority in both houses of Congress post-2010.

Someone, please help me to connect the dots.

If passing health care reform legislation will create "an unassailable majority in both houses of Congress post-2010", then why don't the Democrats pass the legislation? What am I missing?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

you know guys, tons of people are loosing their home to foreclosure, why don't we pass socialized housing too!

all of us with nice houses can leave and give them to the ones that got foreclosed

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

For example, I don't know of anyone who actually believes the'death panel' scenario, even here at JWD

...the power of semantics journey-on...36% either believe or are not sure...

Do you believe "death panels" are part of the proposed health care reforms?

Yes 23% 15812

No 64% 43556

Don't know 13% 8894

Total Votes: 68262

http://www.cnn.com /

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_08/019488.php

REPUBLICANS LOVED THEIR DEATH PANELS.... If our political discourse were in any way sane, the "death panel" nonsense would be a punch line, evidence of ridiculous people making up pathetic lies. The very phrase would be evidence of a bankrupt, comically desperate movement. It would be, to borrow a phrase, the right's "Waterloo."

And yet, conservatives not only take this insanity seriously, they're actually using it as the basis to oppose health care reform. Given this, Monthly alum Amy Sullivan raises an observation that would, in theory, effectively end the conversation.

You would think that if Republicans wanted to totally mischaracterize a health care provision and demagogue it like nobody's business, they would at least pick something that the vast majority of them hadn't already voted for just a few years earlier. Because that's not just shameless, it's stupid.

Yes, that's right. Remember the 2003 Medicare prescription drug bill, the one that passed with the votes of 204 GOP House members and 42 GOP Senators? Anyone want to guess what it provided funding for? Did you say counseling for end-of-life issues and care? Ding ding ding!!

Let's go to the bill text, shall we? "The covered services are: evaluating the beneficiary's need for pain and symptom management, including the individual's need for hospice care; counseling the beneficiary with respect to end-of-life issues and care options, and advising the beneficiary regarding advanced care planning." The only difference between the 2003 provision and the infamous Section 1233 that threatens the very future and moral sanctity of the Republic is that the first applied only to terminally ill patients. Section 1233 would expand funding so that people could voluntarily receive counseling before they become terminally ill.

Chuck Grassley, who yesterday pulled the measure on end-of-life counseling from consideration, voted for the '03 bill. John Boehner, the first GOP leader to raise the specter of "government-encouraged euthanasia," also voted for the '03 bill.

Greg Sargent noted that Rep. John Mica (R) of Florida voted for the 2003 bill, "and last week he denounced the current House measure for creating Medicare-funded 'death counselors.'"

If reality had any meaning in modern politics, these "death panel" clowns would be laughed out of the building, and humiliated for life. Instead, they're not only taken seriously, they're getting media attention, they're influencing GOP activists, and in Grassley's case, they're shaping health care reform policy.

There will be no consequences for their reckless stupidity. There never are.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Maybe the Public Option isn't dead. Here's one guy's take. . .

I maintain: NO, it is not over, far from it.
    Think about it this way: "bowing to Republican pressure". Now, what pressure is that? We don't need a single one of their votes.
    I see this as a massive "head fake".
    Think of it this way:
    President Obama: "Ok, Republicans, I am offering to drop the public option. Will you say "yes"?"
    What do you think that they will say?
    Of course, they will say NO!!!
    Then President Obama goes to the American people: "see, we did as much as we possibly could and the "party of No still said "no"".
    "This is why we went ahead and wrote our bill and passed it ourselves; we gave them their chance and they choked on it".
    In this event, the bluedogs have more cover to vote for it (in the House) or at least vote for cloture (in the Senate).
    I still say that the public option is very much alive.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/8/16/767746/-Maybe-Obama-Knows-What-He-is-Doing:-Public-Option

• journey-on
    journey-on

The layer you're missing this time Justitia, is trust. Why do I say that? Go back and read....indeed, study....some of the philosophical leanings of the people Obama has surrounded himself with. Look at their writings, their speeches, their backgrounds, and you will see why the wording of this bill sends shudders down the spine of so many who are in the know. Unpeel the layers and stop thinking others are overreacting by calling them "death panels". The difference this time is found in the people.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    The average "Joe" as you put it understands much more than you think.

Bull. The average Jo.......urney On, is a nitwit as evidenced by your last post.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You, my friend Beks, are as dumb as a box of rocks and so gullible it's beyond belief. Shut the f* up and quit with your insults thrown at me constantly. Got that? Maybe a little tattletailing on my part might shut you up. Isn't that the way you people work it? If you have some constructive argument, fine, but quit the constant personal attacks. I'm sick of it.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I suggest you turn right around and use that line on yourself. You're certainly guilty of plenty of personal attacks. You and the object of your desire Burn.

You are the dolt that is swallowing the propaganda hook line and sinker, I wouldn't mention gullibility if I were you. You never present facts, just regurgitated talking points that I can keep up with nicely with a mere 5 minutes a day on any slightly right wing radio or TV news show. You don't even realize when you are working against your own best interests.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You really buy that. You are a one layer person, Beks. You can't see beyond the end of your nose and I have absolutely zero respect for your kind of drivel. I'm through arguing with you. So, please don't respond to this with anymore name calling and dumbass insults.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Are you a baker? Addicted to onions? How many times have you referred to "layers" in the last two days?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit