Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

exchange for a system they don't fully understand.

Exactly... and the system Congress is trying to pass without most of them having even read it! How does one trust that? If I go to an attorney, I expect that he will have read all the fine print so as to protect my interests. And if I sign a legal document of any sort, you can bet that I will have read the fine print first. That is a no brainer. How do congress members expect us to trust that they will protect the interests of thier constituents if they haven't even read the details of what they sign on to?

Coffee

• journey-on
    journey-on
    He is NOT proposing "Government-Run Health Care".

No, he's not. But, a lot of people think that is the next step based on things he has said in the past. Baby steps. Just get your foot in the door.

Some people that don't really listen think that is what this is about already. I've already heard one young mother say as soon as this passes, she's quitting her job. She only works so they can have health insurance. Her husband is self-employed and most of his income is "under the table." I wonder how common this will be.

• Mary
    Mary
    daCheech said: mary, many ny/nj people are paying $600 to $1600 a month for health insurance, if the goverment can promise me better for the same... i'm for it!

Um, actually hon, they can. When you pay taxes on most items, alot of those taxes can go to paying for healthcare costs, regardless of whether or not you have a pre-existing condition, are working or are laid off. The difference is: everyone is covered.

but you outsiders don't understand we pay: property taxes:3k to 18k a year: state taxes, government taxes, social security tax, unemployment insurance tax, taxes on gas, cigarettes, and here in jersy we pay 7% sales tax, including a used car that has been taxed 3 times in it's life!

LMAO! You gotta be kidding me right?! Shit, we pay taxes on all the things you mentioned above:

property taxes, provincial tax, federal tax, Canada Pension and Unemployment Insurance deductions......the taxes Canadians have to pay on gasoline, alcohol and cigarettes far exceeds those south of the border. We pay 13% tax on most items up to and including a funeral.

As I say, I think Americans are far more worried about getting a National Health system then what they need to be. Your insurance companies only want to insure young, disease free citizens, charge them astronomical premiums each month and then try to move heaven and earth to deny them coverage when they finally need it.

Well, it's your choice......but remember, the day may come when you need a procedure done that your insurance company won't pay for......50% of all bankruptcies in the USA are because of medical bills.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The French system is government run, mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNR_6UuVl4s

A quick calculation shows that to cover their health care deficit, they would need to raise taxes to the wopping tune of average $213.00 per citizen per year.

• Satanus
    Satanus

$213 perm yr! Whoa. That's like, $17 a month.

S

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Plus, from everything I'm reading, the 'Public Option' is dead. So, without a Public Option, it certainly won't be a Government-Run system.

Sebelius: Public Health Care Option Not the Essential Element

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/16/sebelius-public-health-ca_n_260511.html

Party Prepares Liberals to Accept Deal

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/26137.html

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    She only works so they can have health insurance. Her husband is self-employed and most of his income is "under the table." I wonder how common this will be.

With all due respect, the majority of people don't have the luxury of working simply for the health insurance. You know, rent, mortgage, food, those kinds of things?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For some, the Public Option is non-negotiable issue. . .

The only way that the White House can shift its strategy is with a huge outcry from us, and our going to townhalls this week to DEMAND that our Democratic lawmakers answer how the costs of private insurance can be lowered without essential cost containments such as Medicare drug price negotiation and the public option.
    Because without these two elements as checks on private insurance companies, monthly premiums are going to rise unabated, and there wouldn't be real competition among these insurance companies in the national insurance exchange. You know that might happen in the national insurance exchange without the public option? Right now, we have about six major insurance companies that dominate much of the country's health insurance market in most states. What's going to happen to these six major insurance companies in the national insurance exchange?
    Will they really compete with each other? Or instead, buy each small insurance company up to the point that there are now six major insurance companies offering hundreds of different insurance plans within the national insurance exchange?
    That's not real competition. That won't bring down prices of your monthly premiums. What it is is nothing more than a mandated bailout of the murder-by-spreadsheet industry with 45 million new captive customers. When Americans don't see the cost of their monthly premiums being lowered, you know who they'll blame for not making health care reform affordable for them? The Democratic Party.
    Sure, the insurance regulations are great. So you're stuck with an insurance company that can't drop you for pre-existing conditions, and can't rescind your policy if you get too sick. However, your monthly premiums will continue to rise. In the past year, there's been a 20% jump in the cost of monthly premiums, and that's doubled almost with every year. It's an unsustainable situation for us financially without the public option.
    You'll have health insurance, but it won't be affordable. Because if we allow the White House and the Senate moderates to give away the store to the insurance companies on the public option, you know what's going to happen next? Subsidies would be pared back as the next starting point for conservatives. And after the Democrats give in on subsidies to get "bipartisan" votes, the next starting point might be the community rating where the 2:1 requires that you as an adult, doesn't pay more than twice the premiums of a young adult.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/8/16/767582/-Let-Me-Be-CLEAR-On-Why-The-Public-Option-Is-Non-Negiotable!

• I quit!
    I quit!

"Some people that don't really listen think that is what this is about already. I've already heard one young mother say as soon as this passes, she's quitting her job."

I don't think you have to worry about most people quiting their jobs and bumming around if they get free health care. In what part of the world do you see this happening? I can tell you I have friends and relatives in Canada and in most cases both husband and wife have jobs. I don't think that there are many people in Canada that are just sitting on their butts because of free health care. I think health care is a moral issue. Where should our focus be? Should it be on taking care of the sick or should it be on worrying about the few that will abuse the system.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Bill Moyers Journal: The Media's Distortion of the Health Care Reform Narrative

Video :http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/media/play/qt/9455/30470

Transcript:http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08142009/transcript1.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit