Recently disfellowshipped prominent Assembly overseer in Western Europe now speaking out against the Watchtower org.

by the research lady 226 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

glorious, indeed

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Spike

Haven't checked in here in a few days, but now I am wondering - what is your story? What perspective are you coming from? Where are you in relation to the WTS? Just curious - not looking for an argument.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Anyone with questions like BizzyBee has, please PM me since I check my PMs several times each session. Context is helpful. That way the discussion regarding the

" Recently disfellowshipped prominent Assembly overseer in Western Europe now speaking out against the Watchtower org." continues as it ought.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    so now Cog is her own goddess. It happens all the time in a self-worshipping world, what with glamour and power trips and birthdays and promotions and all the other forms of bestowing honour on mere mortals.

I never said I was my own goddess Spike. I am a human being, no greater lesser than any other human being. I don't worship myself, idolize other people in any way. My life has no glamour, I have no power, and I'm bestowed no honor by anyone. I also do not bestow honor on the figments of other people's imaginations, (which I believe all god's are). Rather, I look around me, see and experience what is real, and accept the full gamut of human and animal behaviour, in all it's contradictions.

Cog

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    If Reniaa lives in a fantasy world part of the time, I dare say that comes with the territory of being an imperfect person. We watch TV, which portrays fantasy. We dream when we sleep properly. Dreams may contain fantasy elements. The devil and his demons have had conversations with perfect people such as Eve and Jesus. The world the devil and the demons love is fantasy. So, we must be careful with the claims we make, lest we be judged by them ourselves, which is quite fitting when we think about it.

Yes, but a sane person knows the difference between fantasy and reality. They don't believe the TV shows are real. They don't believe the fairy stories are real. There is no more evidence that Satan and God are real then there is that Cinderella and the fairy godmother are.

Not sure who said this but it seems apropriate: The difference between someone who is neurotic and someone who is psychotic is this: The neurotic builds castles in the air. The psychotic moves in.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    To what extent is "looking after yourself" considered "self worship"?
    when it's vain

Since we will all eventually turn into compost, everything we do is ultimately "vain".

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Satan and God are real individuals, as the Bible describes. They are understood spiritually.

Cinderella and the fairy godmother are real characters in modern folklore, just as Santa Claus is. They are understood culturally.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

We all have our "gods", those whose opinions we put above others. In other words, the opinions of those we live our lives by.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'll agree with the second statement Spike. If you removed your cultural bias, you would see it applies equally to the first statement. Every culture has it's own god story that they understand in their own minds as "spiritual".

Santa Claus bears remarkable similiarities to God. He is omniscient. He sees everything everyone does all over the world at the same time. He judges us on whether we are bad or good. He rewards us for the good (with presents). He punishes for the bad (with lumps of coal). He is omnipresent as he is able to somehow get to almost everyone's house all over the world in one night. He only comes if you truly believe in him.

The fantasy is perpetuated by everyone in the cultural agreeing to pass on the myth to their child. It's amazing to me how it is expected that when we grow up we will discard the one fairy story but not the other. They are really the same story and the same person only with a different suit and hat.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Satan and God are real individuals, as the Bible describes. They are understood spiritually.

Cinderella and the fairy godmother are real characters in modern folklore, just as Santa Claus is. They are understood culturally.

spike, interesting distinction you have there - indivduals versus characters. You may find some provocative thoughts here ;)

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07762a.htm

cog - yes there is a remarkable similarity between the JW/fundie God and santa Claus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit