Insane Email From My JW Mother

by daniel-p 76 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Atomahawk and calico, your comments are spot-on, and pretty much identical to what my wife was telling me last night when we were discussing this. The hard part is in discerning how much I should answer her questions and when I should just tell her she's wearing me out and I don't want to talk about it anymore. It's frustrating because she's always questioning my motives. In this last email she sent (I haven't posted it) she says my heart is "treacherous" and that I'm probably just using all sorts of excuses to explain my real motivations (which, of course, must be to lead a life of sin and vice). So no, I don't think she really respects me as an adult. THat I could possible know what's best for me is a concept she will never comprehend, I think.

However, there is a promising component of this, and that is she is now asking me if she has ever "spiritually manipulated" me, and "oh, how awful it would be if that were the case and woe is me id never be able to live with myself." On one hand, she is clearly fishing, while on the other hand I do percieve some small bit of tacit acknowledgement that she may, in fact, have contributed to my mistrust in her and the JW religion.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Keep the religious discussions out of the conversations and close the discussion as soon as she brings anything related to the subject. If she needs to learn the hard way, then so be it. I understand that her religion is a big part of her life, but how hard can it be to truly love someone (her own son) without bringing up god! If she can’t, it’s because she’s needs to relearn what it is to be a human being.

This isn’t a case of agreeing to disagree, it’s called agreeing not to discuss the matter period.

This was more or less my tactic prior to all this occuring. In some way, I felt obligated to sort of let her know my current state of agnosticism and skepticism about the WTS. It was also a test, to see if she would accept me as I am. I have yet to find that out....

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

she's at least switched from the fear and Satan stuff, to trying to think when your motivations changed. I think that's big.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea the same speech-double speak comes with the territory. I was chatting with an old friend and everytime there was anything going on, it was an attack from Satan. Family members, work, traffic, constipation etc etc. An attack from Satan.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I was chatting with an old friend and everytime there was anything going on, it was an attack from Satan. Family members, work, traffic, constipation etc etc. An attack from Satan.

Yep. And this paranoia even seems to overshadow the supposed benefits from Jehovah! I hear much more about how Satan is doing this and Satan is doing that, than I do about how good Jehovah is.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi daniel,

I had a quick scan of the latest letter. My attention was drawn to this

And when I study those Insight Bks and WTs, it is so crystal clear WHO has God's Spirit.

That is not what the bible says, the Holy Spirit is for all who believe

Acts 2:17-18 (New International Version)

17 " 'In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
    18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days
    and they will prophesy.

Acts 2:38-39 (New International Version)

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

It's just as the Ethiopian enuch said "how can I learn without someone to guide me?" And so all of the people who are listening as we merely open the pages of their Bibles or show a dvd to the deaf ones are rejoicing loud & clear, cuz now they know the suffering will end. How could they have any 'spirituality' sitting home all alone with no knowledge of the One who gives it son?

The bible says the Holy Spirit is THE teacher and the only one who teaches.

John 14:26 (New International Version)

26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

1 John 2:26-27 (New International Version)

26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Who should the believer remain in? Jesus, the whole chapter talks about remaining "in Him". Nothing about remaining in anything or anyone else. Hope that helps :) All the best, Stephen

• besty
    besty

My mum could easily have written all that stuff to me.

My brother (CoBOE) said my marriage would probably break up when he heard I wasn't going to meetings.

I offered them the 'lets not discuss religion' option but cult members can't handle someone leaving the group in this way.

I say friends are Gods apology for family - leave the toxic relationships behind and move on. Accept that people - relatives especially - that are that hardline will never treat you as a normal person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit