Insane Email From My JW Mother

by daniel-p 76 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Ok, here's my reply which I just sent off:

Mom, I want to thank you for your thoughtful email. I know you love me very much.

You've previously alluded to the trouble you experienced a while back but have never explained exactly what happened. I'm not asking you to do so, but without knowing the events involved, I'm at a loss to know what to say. It's clear that is has troubled you greatly. I hope you can move past the pain it caused you... I understand that it is not easy to do so, especially when we are hurt by trusted friends.

I've never harbored any anger at Jehovah. I certainly don't have anything to be angry at God for--I have a wonderful life, am healthy, and am very happy with [my wife]. And even if I didn't have those things, how could I be angry at God? Isn't that the lesson of Job? With that said, I'm not going to go through life blaming Satan for every bad thing that happens, or thanking Jehovah for every good thing that happens, because so much in life just happens. That is the only way for me to make sense of it: to do my best, but accept what happens.

One of the primary reasons why I went "inactive" is because I no longer had a desire to have a sort of "public faith," where every one's spirituality is made a public display. If I'm to nurture any kind of relationship with my God, than it's a personal experience, and I don't feel a need to share it beyond a point at which it reduces the quality of the experience, and especially when that display is an expected, even required, component of worship. There is a difference between gathering together for genuine encouragement, and a constant, artificial "admonishment" that tends to wear down.

I'll stop there, because I don't want to say anything that would discourage you. I hope you can understand and accept where I'm coming from. I also hope you can respect the privacy of my spirituality, and not employ others for any kind of "encouragement" that you think is necessary, because that only breaks down trust.

You are not blood-guilty. You bore me into the world, showed me a way, and I made my own choices with the hand I was dealt. I'll always love you.

-Love, [daniel-p]

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

After YEARS of posting.

I HAVE SEEN IT ALL.

Nottin new under de sun.

HB

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

After YEARS of posting.

I HAVE SEEN IT ALL.

Nottin new under de sun.

HB

lol

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

That letter was insane, but all of us who are or have been JWs can understand since we probably harbored similar thoughts, even if we wouldn't have expressed them the way your mom did. When my mom finds out that my wife and I are inactive and have stopped attending meetings altogether I can see similar letters coming my way. It is obvious that your mom loves you deeply and cares for you as a son, and is not just displaying the artificial love that the WTS encourages JWs to have towards non-believers.

Your reply is very loving and respectful.

• I quit!
    I quit!

It has to be awful to live in a world where evil spirits are spending all their time trying to destroy your life. No wonder there is so much mental illness among the Witnesses. They claim they are not supertitious but this is just pure superstition. We have a lot of crazy Watchtower people in our family if this is the kind of stuff that is running around their brains no wonder they're crazy.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi daniel-p,

I agree the letter sounds desperate.

I will draw some contrasts with my own mother. I was brought up in a Christian home, born again believers. Come 16 I left the church and the faith.

In the coming years my parents would occasionally talk about their faith but pretty much for me the issue was taboo, I didn't want to talk or hear about it so they respected that. Behind the scenes they would pray for me. When I was about 23 my mother got cancer. I watched her go downhill over the days and weeks. Come towards the end she had a short talk to me. She said, "look, I know you have decided to go your own way but don't leave it too long". Of course, she was at peace with her future and was more concerned about mine! But that was it. No pleading or begging, she was at peace and left me in the hands of the Lord. She died days later. However, those words would come back to me over the years.

In similar fashion my dad never put pressure on me. Occasionally he would talk about what he was up to in regards to his faith and I always respected that.

He just continued in loving me, even though I had decided that I would not believe.

It took 20 years but I came to faith, not because of pressure, shunning, but because of the love and prayers of my family and friends.

The thing I noticed in the letter is that your mother talks frequently of Jehovah, the devil and his plans but only mentioned Jesus once. If she really knew Jesus, the Prince of Peace she would be at peace and full of His love.

All the best,

Stephen

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

daniel, sorry for the situation.

remember, this aint your real mom talking, it's the watchtower mentality speaking.

my mother-in-law speaks the same, but at the same time she can call 30 people in 30 minutes about any gossip!

this is proof that the wt is demonic in the way they brainwash people!

hang in, and sorry for the spats we have had in the past!

• flipper
    flipper

DANIEL P - I think that's a great return letter you wrote to her for sure ! Send it definitely ! You appeal out of love to her from your authentic personality compared to her reaching out to you with her programmed cult personality. Good job

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Thats was really sad. Fear of imaginary invisible creatures hunting you.... What can you do about that?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree with Flipper. It's a great return letter. Send it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit