Jesus.....God or God's son?

by digderidoo 280 Replies latest watchtower bible

• reniaa
    reniaa

leavingwt the point is the bible sets the standard,

so when it says theirs a figurative bride and that is symbolic of the firstfruits and describes this in many places we can understand it.

And when it says there is Only One almighty God and this is the first commandment, a bible absolute is there can be only one! We have to believe this too..

trinity is trying to say we can make 3 be 1 they try and obscure it with a lot of rhetoric but they are making an unbiblical absolute for us to believe instead.

Reniaa

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Is he praying to 1/3 of himself as he dies?....It does not make any sense. God is the Alpha and controls everything in the Universe....why would he be praying to himself for relief of death from those he created.....again.

Jesus was not in danger of being forsaken by the Father on the cross. He was reciting Psalm 22: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” The Psalm also says: "I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing." It is important to realize that Jesus had a human and divine nature. It was Jesus' human nature that suffered and died, nothis divine one.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This may be helpful to some readers...

I have made comments regarding what the Trinity doctrine is.

I have not commented on whether or not the Trinity is Biblical.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am interested in the former, but not the latter.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Wow...just logged, didn't realise there would such a big response.

There have been some good points made. I particularly like the way BTS sees it, in seperating divinity to Jesus humanity.

I would be like to draw attention to the original post though, in that what got me thinking about this is Sacolton's proposition in Acts 7:59, that Stephen was refering to Jesus as God. How are the surrounding contextual verses reconciled with such a proposition?

Paul

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 81): From my analysis of the NWT, I find that God with no qualifier is NOT Jesus Christ, but Jesus' "Father" (Creator) Jehovah. If there is a Scriptural trinity (threesome in union), I venture to say that the third "person" would have to be a composite, all of those (both heavenly and earthly) in harmony with Jehovah through Jesus Christ, though the terms "trinity" and "third person" do not appear in the NWT text per se I far as I know. I believe that he term "union" is used in such a way at Jno.17:21, although Jesus here is focusing on those he was then praying about and their disciples. By the way, Reniaa, I've responded by PM to your last PM to me, hopefully in a more useful fashion.

• mdb
    mdb

Isaacaustin,

"But in a nutshel, it is agreed they are two separate individuals. The oneness is in their operation. They share the same divine nature."

Not so. God is One manifest in 3 persons - all being fully God. The doctrine of God being 3 separate persons, only their operation being in oneness is a Mormonism type of view (3 Gods in one Godhead or office). You also have 3 parts to you: your physical body, your personality (soul) and your spirit which lives beyond the grave. We are made in His likeness and God is so beyond our full comprehension.

Snowbird,

The Message is NOT a bible. It is a paraphrase. Big difference. People use it like it's a bible, but it's just someone's interpretation of a traslation.

You said, "I believe the Holy Spirit is personable only in the fact that It reflects the personality of God" The Holy Spirit isn't an "It". God's Holy Spirit can be blasphemed, lied to, speaks, testifies, hears, is obeyed, grieves, commands, guides, intercedes, etc. That's personality.

"if as much information was given to support the Trinity as the Virgin Birth, you and I wouldn't be having this discussion"
    There is a lot of suport if you look for it. Isn't it the Holy Spirit that reveals the Word of God to those who read it? The Bible is divinely inspired, but many read it their whole lives with a veil over their eyes.

PSacramento,

"The Trinity is an interpretation"

How so? I would agreed that nowhere in the Scriptures does it say, "God is a trinity", but the concept of the trinity was given as a way to try to describe what the Word of God says about His nature. Many passages state that Jesus is God, Lord, Savior, Beginning and the End, Almighty God, Creator, Lord of Hosts, Angel of the Lord, etc.; many state that the Holy Spirit is Lord and God; many state that God is Lord. If they are written you cannot deny them so what's the conclusion? They are all God. It is also understood that there is only one God and the belief of more than one God is Polytheism which is not sound doctrine.

So...

Who was Jesus? God Word says,

“I will declare the decree:
    The Lord has said to Me,
    You are My Son,
    Today I have begotten You
    Psalm 2:7

God has fulfilled this for us their children, in that He has raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second Psalm:
    You are My Son,
    Today I have begotten You
    .’
    Acts 13:33

For to which of the angels did He ever say:
    “You are My Son,
    Today I have begotten You”?
    And again:
    I will be to Him a Father,
    And He shall be to Me a Son
    ”?
    But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says:
    “Let all the angels of God worship Him.”
    And of the angels He says:
    “Who makes His angels spirits
    And His ministers a flame of fire.”
    Hebrews 1:5-7

God became a Father to Jesus the day He was conceived in the womb by the Holy Spirit. Prior to the fulfillment of this prophecy, Jesus (Emmanuel: God with us) was and is the Word of God as indicated in John 1:1. He had no beginning and has no end. The Word, being fully God, came in the likeness of man in the person of Jesus Christ to save sinful man from their sins. Jesus is the God of the OT and through a progression of Scriptural connection can be shown that He is Almighty God, the One who spoke to Abraham, destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19:24), wrestled with Jacob (Israel), talked with Moses in the burning bush, delivered Israel from Egypt, etc.

Jesus is the person of God that man can see without dying (Genesis 32:30; Isaiah 6:1-5) as the Father dwells in unaproachable light and Whom no man can see and live (Exodus 33:20).

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 88) re mdb (Post 213): As you yourself said, "The Bible is divinely inspired, but many read it their whole lives with a veil over their eyes." May all of our veils come to be removed, whatever they may be.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Wow...just logged, didn't realise there would such a big response.

That's because we love you, Didge!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

when does 3 persons become 3 Gods?

trinitarians want the best of all worlds, they want to say 3 can be one God while retaining the 3 separate so they can pay lipservice to all the massive contradictions this creates.

leavingwt good links but they are not the bible which is always my point for people to understand trinity and the doctrine of it the one place they cannot goto is the bible ^^

they have made a whole religion be about saying a circle is a square, you say 'but it's a circle? and they sa 'nope it's square but it's nature is circle.' you say "but it can't be both?" they say "it isn't both it is square but it's position is circle." you say 'arhhhhh!!!'

Reniaa

Reniaa..This has been expained to you..To Death!!...........I don`t believe in the Trinity..I am not a Christian.....But..I don`t stay Stuck on Stupid,when something is explained to me for the Bu-Jillianth time.................You refuse to accept what People who Believe in the Trinity ,have to say about thier beliefs..They Know What they believe!!.............I don`t believe it..But..I`m still capable of repeating what they believe to be true...........Stop trying to tell Trinitarians what they believe................Shut Up and Listen!!...........................................Sweet Jeezuz Murphy you can be Thick!!.....................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 93): Just because any of us believe what we do, listening is required of all — whether we be as Trinitarians, or as Reniaa, or as even OUTLAW. There is none so deaf as those unwilling to hear. There is none so blind as those unwilling to see. Even to those "without law", Paul "became as those without law, although [he is] not without law toward God but under law toward Christ, that [he] might gain those without law."(1 Cor.9:21) May we, as Paul, "do all things for the sake of the good news, that [we] may become [sharers] of it with [others].(1 Cor.9:23)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit