Jesus.....God or God's son?

by digderidoo 280 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

From the WT own site, they admit they use the term Jehova because it is "more familiar" than they other terms, they also mention that it came from the combination of the consonants of YHWH and the vowels of "adonai".

Jehova is not the name of God, it is, at best, a popular tranliteration of 2 "names" of God from the OT.

In regards to Jesus being worshiped, I think is one were to worship Jesus OVER God, that would be quite incorrect, to worship Jesus as the son of God, to bow down before the "king of kings' and "lord of lords", to worship the Saviour, Redeemer andJudge of Us All, to do this to Jesus as the Manifestation of God, is not incorrect at all I would think.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

In my honest opinion, "YHWH" with the vowels of "adonai" makes "YaHoWaiH", does it not? Even Strong's uses "Y e hôvâh" and "Y e hôvîh" to transliterate the vowel-pointed Tetragrammaton. It is easy for me to see how even "Yehowah" changes to "Jehovah", because the English "Y" has the same sound as the German "J", and the German "W" has the same sound as the English "V".

These days, JWs use "worship" to mean "pray" and "honour as the Most High". In this context, "worship" belongs only to Jehovah.

On the other hand, if "worship" can mean "bow down" and "honour with respect", then that would mean that greeting someone respectfully would be a kind of worship. Indeed, one holding to honourable Bible standards will honour all, even Satan, which is not an understanding that is easy to think about as "worship", in my honest opinion.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Reniaa - Thank you for agreeing with me that it is used 1 time in a parable - where Jesus is the one represented by the object of Worship. Again you argue points that I did not bring up in response to me - Septuigint - not relevant. Did you find anywhere where proskyneo refers to "bowing down" to someone other than Jehovah or Jesus in the inspired Greek Scriptures? (Excepting where it is "bowing down" in false worship of course.) .... Spike - How do we honour Jesus as "Mighty God" , "Eternal Father" , "Lord" , and "Savior" without something resembling worship? Aparently we are allowed to speak to the heavenly Jesus - ask him to receive our spirit at death, ask him for things he will do for us as our heavenly king - but that is not prayer? OK - you can say it is not worship (in English) and not prayer, but it seems to carry the same weight to me. Again I do not think Jesus is The God, but has been placed in a position to be prokyneo-ed to. ......... The point I made about the word is that is the same word is used for "bowing down to Jesus" as "Bowing down to Jehovah". Any distnction made between the 2 is a human invention. Proskyneo means prokeyneo.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just dropping by,

Did you find anywhere where proskyneo refers to "bowing down" to someone other than Jehovah or Jesus in the inspired Greek Scriptures? (Excepting where it is "bowing down" in false worship of course.) ....

Revelation 3:9.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I see that Revelation 3:7,9 indicates that the synagogue of Satan will do obeisance to [Diaglott: pay homage, προσκυνησωσιν] (the angel [Diaglott: messenger, αγγελω] of) the congregation in Philadelphia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Worshiping of Jesus = Worship of God.

1John 2:22-23

Anyone the denies the son, denies the father, anyone that acknowledges the Son, achknowledges the Father.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

PSacramento, YES !!, we must acknowledge BOTH Father and Son in our worship, and so we pray to JEHOVAH in the name of JESUS. John 17:3 makes a related point. Learning about both the only true God AND the one he sent forth [Jesus] is required for humans to live forever.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Jehovah and Jesus have SIMILARITIES. But, they also have DIFFERENCES, just as any FATHER-SON duo.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

spike..if one comes to John 17:3 already beleiving Jesus is not God it is easy to read that into this text. What is important though is what the text does not say...it does not say that the Father ALONE is the only true god. Adam and Eve. were one flesh and at the beginning they were the ONLY true human flesh in the garden of Eden. So it could be said of Adam the he was the only true human flesh in Eden. The same could be said of Eve. But it could not be said that Adam alone was the only true human flesh because there was another person that was one with him that was also human flesh. The Father and Son are one like it says in John 10:30 and this one entity is the only true God in the universe. The Father is the only true God and the Son is the only true God.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Spike,

I agree, we must have Both in our hearts and love both, we love Jesus as the Son of God and we love GoD, Our Father, through Jesus, as our beloved and heavenly Father and creater of All.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit