Jesus.....God or God's son?

by digderidoo 280 Replies latest watchtower bible

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thank you leavingwt...I'm just trying to understand...... your input is much appreciated!!!!!

Thank you dear!!!

r.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I believe what the body of Christ teaches on the matter. That's how I roll.

1 Tim 3:15

if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

As for the Holy Spirit not being God, why is it given the same level as the Father and the Son in this Scripture?

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

By the way, the date at which a specific doctrine was settled or defined doesn't mean that this is when it was created, but when a controversy or an incorrect teaching arose that needed to be addressed a ruling on the matter occurred. If there was no argument about a particular teaching, there was no need to address it with a definition. The Apostles and their heirs met when something was challenging the faith that needed to be defined so that believers wouldn't be led astray. We see this very thing happen in Acts 15.

Some men came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the brothers: "Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved." This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question.

For restrangled:

So that would make Jesus 1/3 of God and he is praying to the other 2/3s to save 1/3 of himself?

Jesus lived as a human for our benefit. And Jesus had two natures, one human, one divine. In praying to His Father Jesus was acting from His human nature. Jesus' whole life on earth reflected His human nature, from being a baby to suffering and dying on the cross. Praying to the Father is simply another example of this. Part of this was to set an example for us.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

My answer to the question would be ... both.

He is God and also the Son of God.

Another point I would like to make is that the Holy Spirit is mysteriously missing in Revelation.

If It is, in fact, a person, I would think that, in keeping with its name, Revelation would reveal that.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Revelation the book does not reveal everything about The Revelation. It is "a" revelation, not the sum totality of Divine Revelation.

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Peace

BTS

• dig692
    dig692

This is a very interesting post. I am enjoying reading through everyone's comments for both sides of the question. I believe that Jesus is the son of God, not God himself (like a JW would think) however I have believed this my whole life even before ever knowing anything about the JW's. I was actually raised and grew up Catholic but for some reason I just couldn't wrap my head around the Trinity doctrine. I do have an open mind though, so I am interested in and appreciate both sides of the issue.

A Christian I know (not sure what denomination) once tried to explain to me her view on the Trinity and gave me the example of an egg. The egg has 3 distinct parts (yolk, white part, shell) but it is "one egg"...so likewise God has 3 distinct parts (The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit), but it is "one God".

Has anyone ever heard this example before and maybe expand on it? Thanks

• sacolton
    sacolton

I believe when Christ commands "Come up here." [Rev. 11:12] - the Holy Spirit along with the Christian church will be removed from Earth.

Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here." And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on.
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Interesting perspectives, all.

Sylvia

• reniaa
    reniaa

when does 3 persons become 3 Gods?

trinitarians want the best of all worlds, they want to say 3 can be one God while retaining the 3 separate so they can pay lipservice to all the massive contradictions this creates.

leavingwt good links but they are not the bible which is always my point for people to understand trinity and the doctrine of it the one place they cannot goto is the bible ^^

they have made a whole religion be about saying a circle is a square, you say 'but it's a circle? and they sa 'nope it's square but it's nature is circle.' you say "but it can't be both?" they say "it isn't both it is square but it's position is circle." you say 'arhhhhh!!!'

Reniaa

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The average JW easily wraps his mind around the concept of the "Bride of Christ". This bride is composed of many PERSONS. (Even though this runs contrary to the common use of the word bride, in everyday language.)

The JW mind is not confused on this point. They do not think that the Bride of Christ is ONE PERSON.

Similarly, for Trinitarians, they do not think that "God" is ONE PERSON.

The Father is one person.

The Son is one person.

The Holy Spirit is one person.

However, the term "God" refers to THREE PERSONS.

(You don't have to believe these things to understand the doctrine.)

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hey Snow my good friend...

So to quote you, I still have the same question: Is he praying to 1/3 of himself as he dies?....It does not make any sense. God is the Alpha and controls everything in the Universe....why would he be praying to himself for relief of death from those he created.....again...The Frankenstien concept...... God creating an entity that is stonger and possibly destroy him.

Post 8461 of 8461
    Since 5/2/2007

My answer to the question would be ... both.

He is God and also the Son of God.

Another point I would like to make is that the Holy Spirit is mysteriously missing in Revelation.

If It is, in fact, a person, I would think that, in keeping with its name, Revelation would reveal that.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit