Do Not Say: "The Society Teaches"!

by compound complex 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

The puppet masters don't want the strings to show.

This is the ulitmate definition of slimey. At work, managers that do this are called 'Teflon Men'. Hmmm... I think it fits here too.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Spike: How we "ought" to speak or act depends on the application of the relevant Scriptural principles, and the setting(s), and the context(s), and the culture(s), and the mood(s) of all the participants involved.

Earlier you said "we each need our own understanding." Now you're saying it "depends" on a bunch of other things. Is anything you do, say, or believe that is independent of the WTS and its "Bible-based" doctrines? If so, I'd like to see a concrete, here-and-now example of the independent thinking the WTS commands you to exercise.

Spike: Since we all are imperfect and with a certain amount of free will, it is a very subjective exercise we are all engaging, or attempting to engage in. I find that principles such as perpetual reasonableness and caution (as well as dignity and tact) are always helpful to achieve progress in our increased understanding and peaceableness with one another, whether friend or foe, acquaintance or stranger.

In other words, Spike, you can't give me a single example of how a Witness "avoids giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect." The best you can do is spout a lot of weasel words like "subjective, "perpetual reasonableness (whatever that means)," and "increased understanding."

You're a very good little dub, Spike. Your puppet masters at the WTS will be very pleased at how well you dance on their strings.

• donny
    donny

I find it amusing that Witnesses will deny they follow a leader(s) teachings that they instead just follow the bible, but as soon as the leaders say the bible says something else, they tow the line 100%. A distinction without a difference.

Donny

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

WT 1998 - 3/15 p.19 ...

"In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says" or, "I understand the Bible to teach." In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. "

Compare to this Watchtower statement:

WT 1959 5/1
    "To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organizations says is to do what he says!"

Compare to this bible scripture:

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men [an organization], a man, Christ Jesus,

Emphasis added (just for the irony.)

abe

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Evening CoCo..As usual I love your thread.............

WT 1998 - 3/15 p.19 ...

"In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves..Jehovah`s Witness`s are always being taught to be misleading by the WBT$..

Instead of saying, "the Society teaches,"..Which is the Frigg`n Truth!!..

many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says" or, "I understand the Bible to teach."..Because ..The WBT$ told them to say that..What a sham!

In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings..The only personal decision a Jehovah`s Witness can make..Is to do as they are Dam Well told by the WBT$!!

and also aviod giving the false imppression that Witness are some how bound to the dictates of some religious sect...The article tells Jehovah`s Witness`s how to answer Questions!.....Jehovah`s Witness`s are being dictated to in an article,that wants to prove Jehovah`s Witness`s are not being Dictated to..................It really doesnt get any more stupid than that!!

................Unbelievable WBT$ BullShit!!.............................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

jvchap.15p.219DevelopmentoftheOrganizationStructure***

To keep matters in proper perspective, however, it was pointed out that when TheWatchtower referred to “The Society,” this meant, not a mere legal instrumentality, but the body of anointed Christians that had formed that legal entity and used it. Thus the expression stood for the faithful and discreet slave with its Governing Body.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

The "Society" was sort of taboo down here in NYC. The proper turn of phrase was "the slave".

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 92): "The Society Teaches …" is certainly ambiguous. Which Society/ society is being referred to? A "Zion's Watch Tower Society", a "Watch Tower Society", a "Watchtower Society", or even "the society" in which the several participants of the discussion are all part of (whether is a democratic "society", a theocratic "society", etc.). It's good to avoid any ambiguity, unless the various types are all intended.

• cattails
    cattails
    am I right or wrong spiked?

Hmmm... I think you're right, Ninja.

i.e. judging from the brainwashed

nonsense Spiked is spewing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

""The Society Teaches …" is certainly ambiguous. Which Society/ society is being referred to? A "Zion's Watch Tower Society", a "Watch Tower Society", a "Watchtower Society", or even "the society" in which the several participants of the discussion are all part of (whether is a democratic "society", a theocratic "society", etc.). It's good to avoid any ambiguity, unless the various types are all intended."

Spike, you're on a jw discussion board, what "Society" do you think we're talking about? Geez

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit