Do Not Say: "The Society Teaches"!

by compound complex 74 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

WT 1998 - 3/15 p.19 ...

"In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah’s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says" or, "I understand the Bible to teach." In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. "

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Since I am an active Witness, I always say, "The Society teaches...", because that emphasizes what is actually happening.

Bonafide

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Dont you just love the double speak? "many witnesses prefer"???? in other words if you consider YOURSELF a witness THIS is how you should be saying this from now on. We want to DE emphasize that we take all our orders from a bunch of Depends wearing recluses in a tower and try to make it SOUND like we only read the Bible for our information.

lies lies lies and compound lies.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, isn't that a gem? How do you avoid saying that statement? You can't open the Bible and show someone that "Jesus came to the Temple in 1919 to inspect it," now can you?

You certainly can't open the Bible and show them which blood fractions are allowed, and which ones aren't, either.

Obviously, you can't with certainty show them the correct meaning of generation using the Bible, as we know it has changed over the years. If you had gone to someone's house prior to 1995 and "showed" them the meaning of the generation, you'd have to go back, read the same scriptures, and tell them now they mean something different, then go again when the meaning changed again-but each time "proving" the meaning with the same Bible.

Ah, yes, the difficulty they are in trying not to use this statement!!!

• loosie
    loosie

Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says"

LMAO What the bible says isn't what the society teaches. LMAO Do they even read what they write?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Compound Complex,

Doesn't sound like a cult at all, does it? (sarcasm)

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

CoCo, you are right on with the current trend.

I recently had a conversation with an active JW and that person said: "I'm free to do what I want, I don't obey God's law's because I may get DF. I obey because I want to."

To this I explained that when the "people in Brooklyn" give an order to the JW's and the JW typical response is "how high?" They obey the self- appointed GB not to the Scriptures. Then I continued with "the Bilble, for example, doesn't say anywhere you can't observe Thanksgiving, but you don't do it because the guys in Brooklyn tell you not to." The JW then just looked pensive, you could see the wheels turning in their brainwashed mind. So sad how they are in denial as to who is their real master.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I always say, "The Society teaches...", because that emphasizes what is actually happening.

Bonafide

You're only being truthful, contrary to the directive which insists we don't want to be "giving the false impression" that ...

[...] try to make it SOUND like we only read the Bible for our information.

WLD

It always bothered me to direct attention to the publications [and eventually the organization] after a brief Scriptural introduction. Now I comprehend the term deceptive recruitment.

[...] you'd have to go back, read the same scriptures, and tell them now they mean something different, then go again when the meaning changed again-but each time "proving" the meaning with the same Bible.

Quandry

One old disaffected sister had the right idea [this was many decades ago]. She went back to all the householders that she could remember and told them that what she'd being preaching and teaching was wrong. You go girl!

Do they even read what they write?

loosie

I really doubt it. There is a mass of contradictions piled up to the skies.

Doesn't sound like a cult at all, does it?

Shamus

No, shamus; why ever would you even suggest the possibility?!?!?!?

So sad how they are in denial as to who is their real master.

YoursChelbie

Can you imagine that, as JWs, we would ever speak of the shed blood of our Lord and personal Savior, Jesus Christ, whom we've let into our heart?

Thanks, all, for contributing!

CoCo

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 56): There were 10 virgins ... 5 wise and 5 foolish

• parakeet
    parakeet

"..... avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. "

The puppet masters don't want the strings to show.

One more string to dance to, dubbies! The WTS is telling you to tell others that they (the WTS) are not the ones telling you what to do!

The illogic of that statement is so twisted it disappears up its own aperture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit