Do Not Say: "The Society Teaches"!

by compound complex 74 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I loved that quote and had it laminated in my wallet.

• donny
    donny

"avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. "

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. I really needed it.

I understand the bible teaches that Jesus returned in 1874

I understand the bible teaches that he then returned in 1914

I understand the bible teaches that Jesus looked at all the religions from 1914 to 1918 and in the srping of 1919, he selected them as the Faithful and Discreet Slave

I understand the bible teaches that the church members by the millions will be destroyed in 1918

I understand the bible teaches that everything else will go up in smoke in 1920

I understand the bible teaches that Abraham, Issac and Jacob and the rest of the Hebrews 11, aka the Princes, gang will be resurrected in 1925. I also understand the bible teaches that we have more faith in the end coming in 1925 than Noah had in the coming deluge. Obviously judge Rutherford had more authority than God himself.

I understand the bible teaches that we have to build a mansion for the Hebrews 11 gang in San Diego in 1929, call it Beth Sarim, and let ol' Ruthy live there and take care of the place until they arrive. And it's stocked with a nice liquor cabinet.

I understand the bible teaches that the end is just months away in 1942.

I understand the bible teaches that the Princes we thought were the hebrews 11 gang are actually the elders in your congregation

I understand the bible teaches as of 1966 that the end will most likely occur in September or October of 1975. It may be a difference of weekd or months, not years.

I understand the bible teaches that the folks who were 15 years old in 1914 are what makes up the generation that will not pass away.

I understand the bible teaches who were 10 years old in 1914 are what makes up the generation that will not pass away.

I understand the bible teaches who were born in 1914 are what makes up the generation that will not pass away.

I understand the bible teaches the Creator promised that the the new systems would come before the generation of 1914 passes away

I understand the bible teaches the Creatorr changed his mind and said that a generation has no set time.

I understand the bible teaches that the true teachings are passed from God to man via the Faithful and Discreet Slave (about 10,000 and growing of 2009)

I understand the bible teaches that the true teachings are passed from God to man via only the Governing Body (about 10 and shrinking as of 2009)

I understand the bible teaches just about whatever one so decides

Donny

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    WT 1998 - 3/15 p.19 ...
    "In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah's Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says" or, "I understand the Bible to teach." In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. "

In other words, "Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** w96 1/1 p. 30 “Handling the Word of the Truth Aright” ***

Today, a “faithful and discreet slave” has been appointed to supply God’s servants with food at the proper time and to help them understand “the greatly diversified wisdom of God.” Jehovah, by his spirit, reveals deep Scriptural truths by means of this loyal slave, which faithfully publishes spiritual “food at the proper time.”

So why not say, "the faithful and discreet slave teaches/instructs/etc."? Isn't that where each individual is supposed to get their understanding from? The publications are adamant that individuals do not come to conclusions from their own study apart from the "food" provided by the F&DS. But saying "the faithful and discreet slave teaches" would sound even more cultish than saying "the Society teaches".

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Posters of the last 5 hours:

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments. There's certainly nothing more that I might add ...

Gratefully,

CoCo

• VM44
    VM44

The Society teaches "Do Not Say: 'The Society Teaches'"!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Oh YES! again we see the Five wise virgins applied to the GB in Crooklyn Broth Hell:

1: How many are really virgins?

2: How many are making out with other lads is the showers?

3: How many are pedos?

I am not hijacking your thread Coco, but I find it difficult to apply the parable of Matt 25 to them...

HB

• Gordy
    Gordy

Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, "the Bible says"

In other words - "The Bible says,what the Society says, the Bible says"

• ninja
    ninja

here it is in action.......forward to 4 minutes 9 seconds........http://cdn2.libsyn.com/tartanpodcast/doro_2.mp3?nvb=20090628120754&nva=20090629121754&t=0b1dbd17979921bd21ba2

this guy talking here is ronnie hunter....a year before this he castigated me for talking about the "society" when giving me a "shepherding" call....

oops ronnie...."For tis the sport to have the enginer hoist with his owne petar"

• blondie
    blondie

It was awhile ago, and I was still in, but I seem to remember that the WTS has several legal cases pending on issues that they were advertising as "personal choice" but many individual jws were saying "the society teaches." I was a "the bible says" type of person to the consternation of the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit