Do Not Say: "The Society Teaches"!

by compound complex 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

"I understand the Bible to teach."

Well, that would get rid of my father's favourite authority.

"These people are Bible scholars" & "These people are spirit directed" are his two prime arguments for every time he gets cornered.

Cheers

Chris

• loosie
    loosie
    There were 10 virgins ... 5 wise and 5 foolish

Oh I get it the 5 foolish live in Bethel. Now the bible makes sense.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 64): We each need our own understanding, actually, whether we're a Bethelite or otherwise. If we just rely on others to have the answers, we don't have the wisdom necessary to live life and teach others as we ought. There is a time to quote, and a time to speak fresh thoughts of our own, but always remembering our accountability to Jehovah God (Mat.4:4,7,10).

• parakeet
    parakeet

Spike: We each need our own understanding ....

Give me an example, Spike, of the independent understanding needed to "live life and teach other as we ought." That "ought" is giving me a problem, Spike. Who determines what we "ought" to do? Don't say the Bible -- there are thousands of different interpretations about what the Bible says we "ought" to do. I want an "ought" that is independent of the WTS's teachings.

Spike: There is a time to quote, and a time to speak fresh thoughts of our own, but always remembering our accountability to Jehovah God.....

Again, Spike, let's hear some of your "fresh thoughts." And how is accountability to JG determined? Don't say the Bible (see above). The WT commands that you speak on your own authority. I'd like to see an example of mandated freedom in action.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Be careful JWN'ers. Let Spike have his way and spout JW stuff. Don't get upset, he isn't worth it. He's a JW named Spike Tassel for crying out loud.

I think this tread is excellent, and it illustrates the Governing Body's attempt to have it both ways and cover their tracks. They absolutely teach whatever the hell they want. Much of the GB dogma is not found in the bible.

But they can't promote it that way, and that is why quotes like what are alluded to here are made. It serves the dual purpose of camaflouging their dogma as biblical, and it is more programming of the sheeples they dominate.

It's easy to see now, not so easy to see when you are being brainwashed....

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 72) re parakeet (Post 2854): How we "ought" to speak or act depends on the application of the relevant Scriptural principles, and the setting(s), and the context(s), and the culture(s), and the mood(s) of all the participants involved. Since we all are imperfect and with a certain amount of free will, it is a very subjective exercise we are all engaging, or attempting to engage in. I find that principles such as perpetual reasonableness and caution (as well as dignity and tact) are always helpful to achieve progress in our increased understanding and peaceableness with one another, whether friend or foe, acquaintance or stranger.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In order to avoid misunderstandings, I will try to be careful about how I express myself. Instead of saying, "the Society teaches," I prefer to use such expressions as, "the Society twists the Bible to say..." or, "I understand the Society insists their way of teaching is right." In this way I emphasize the lack of personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Watchtower Society teachings and also give the correct impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect.

Edited for correctness.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 76) re OnTheWayOut (Post 8376): Such a bold assertion as "the Society twists the Bible to say..." requires clear proof and a loving motive, does it not? After all, are we not bound to love our neighbour and our enemy even as we do ourself. Should we not rather apply the Golden Rule and upbuild our audience, even as we require nurturing love ourself?

• ninja
    ninja

spike tassel....play on words?....spiked asshole?

• ninja
    ninja

am I right or wrong spiked?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit