Name Things JWs Believe That Are Not Actually Biblically Provable

by minimus 231 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

oompa,

Its very possible that Jesus recited the Shema in its original form which may have included the divine name. If one believes that Jesus transmitted the thoughts and communications of God to the Hebrews and guided the process of scripture then in his pre human existence he was there when Deut.6:4 was said originally. He very well could have spoken it in its original form, reciting it from memory. What has happened in translating these ancient texts into other languages like the surviving greek texts is an issue of controversy. It is difficult to be hard lined one way or the other.

Jesus was a good Jew. The DSS show the divine name being used in their copies- 200BC to 100CE

designs

• reniaa
    reniaa

Praising God at a unique and wonderful event like the birth of the future king and saviour of mankind is one thing! to stretch that into an annual event originally with all its rituals, date and worship dedicated to satanalia and repaste them onto a lie about that birth and sharing it with the rest of the world worshiping a fat man in a red outfit and white beard is not a strong arguement.

Reniaa

• reniaa
    reniaa

designs

I agree with you but also I say the context of Jesus words that could have only been in reference to the divine name gives added weight to his advocating it's usage.

John 17:26 (New American Standard Bible)

26 and (A) I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that (B) the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."

Matthew 6:9 (New International Version)

9 "This, then, is how you should pray:
    " 'Our Father in heaven,
    hallowed be your name,

Matthew 28:19
    Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

John 12:28
    Father, glorify your name!"

Reniaa

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa

Praising God at a unique and wonderful event like the birth of the future king and saviour of mankind is one thing! to stretch that into an annual event originally with all its rituals, date and worship dedicated to satanalia and repaste them onto a lie about that birth and sharing it with the rest of the world worshiping a fat man in a red outfit and white beard is not a strong arguement.

Reniaa

My reply: Logical fallacy again by you. And projecting the use of Santa to all who observe Christmas. Not all Christians celebrate Christmas with Santa...but use it as a day to give honor to the Lord.

You have simply provided human reasoning and nothing else on this.

• designs
    designs

Celebrating the Mass for Christ, really. It seems some early groups celebrated Dec.25th as the Assumption of Mary.

Jesus could very likely been born between Yom Kippur and Rosh Hasanah...light yours candles in the Fall Jesus was a good Jew.

designs

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi designs,

There is not the tension or competition about who saves in scripture that you are trying to create in the witness position, although the nwt confuses the process in their rendering of the passages in Acts.

The NWT confuse the name, agreed. However, to me the name who saves is paramount.

If you think it is "Jehovah" then you will will need to re-write all these verses and many more.

Acts 4:10-12 (New International Version)

10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is
    " 'the stone you builders rejected,
    which has become the capstone.' 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

2 Timothy 3:14-15 (New International Version)

14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

1 John 5:20 (New International Version)

20 We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true—even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

All the best,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Stephen,

So if a Witness gets their priorities wrong on this name thing what do you think your God is going to do to them.

designs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

What do you think designs?

• androb31
    androb31

Reniaa

Woohoo!! We don't have to argue over this anymore. The WT resolves this issue for us. Notice the principle we should apply regarding origins.

From the September 22, 2003, Awake!, page 24, 'The Piñata - An Ancient Tradition':

"We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun...A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues."

Regarding Christmas it would read something like this....

"We found that for many people in different lands, Christmas has lost its pagan significance and is considered by many to be focused on Jesus...A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, some may choose to celebrate it and some may not since opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues."

Problem solved!!!

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi isaac

those who honour Jesus at what is now called Xmas (christmas no more) or yuletide are less and less, it is reclaiming it's pagan roots and usage completely you can deny this to me but you cannot deny the truth of this world-wide.

It is too unclean a pagan celebration to put on Jesus and the fact is that it doesn't want Jesus on it anyway, it wants to be what it is!... like easter wants to be about fertility and halloween about spirits they have become what they once were as christmas to has become so to.

I do not blame humanity for it's sacred days of worship to it's own Gods and things but as a christian it is not part of my culture and I want to keep it that way.

Reniaa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit