Name Things JWs Believe That Are Not Actually Biblically Provable

by minimus 231 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

I think JWs stick to biblical answers only

Obviously not. You are not getting to the root of the word in the original koine greek bible.

The bible says stauros which is a stake, a pole or a cross. If you think there is another word for cross in koine greek then let me know.

Also, there are several bible translation institutions who you should let know the koine greek word for cross when you find so they can check their translations.

All the best,

Stephen

• Incognito
    Incognito

Regarding the Cross discussion, here is a clickable link to a Youtube video describing Ancient Torture Machines (Machines of Malice). This was on the Discovery Channel a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmhYIrk5A4&feature=related

Zoom up to 2:15 to see the video on cruxifiction.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

reniaa:

Hi isaac

I think JWs stick to biblical answers only and for me despite your disagreement I think Jesus's words are powerful on a single stake method.

Reniaa

My reply:

Again, Jesus words only parallel the snake being lifted up and looked to. No parallel as to the object lifted on. I look to the words of the bible as well....

John 20:25

25 Consequently the other disciples would say to him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.”

If Jesus Christ was impaled on a torture stake where only one nail was used for his hands, why does Thomas say that more than one nail was used by referring to the "nails" ?

John 21:18

18 Most truly I say to you, When you were younger, you used to gird yourself and walk about where you wanted. But when you grow old you will stretch out your hands and another [man] will gird you and bear you where you do not wish.”

The verse shown here is Jesus' prediction of Peter's death. If Peter was to be put on a "torture stake", Jesus would have said "stretch out your arms" instead of "stretch out your hands".

Matt 27:37

37 Also, they posted above his head the charge against him, in writing: “This is Jesus the King of the Jews.”

If Jesus was put to death on a torture stake, the sign would be above his hands and not above "his head" as written in this verse.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Incognito,

Thanks for that clip, I had seen that one and a couple of others, one on A&E and one by the BBC, that basiclalu used history and archeology to come to the same conclusions.

It was a cruel and painfil method of prolonged suffering, all the more reason NOT to downplay it and to remember what our Lord Jesus went through for us undeserving sinners.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I also noticed the use of the term "Tau", which is greek for the letter T, just as it is stated in the Epistle of Barnabas.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The Zondervan Pictoral Encyclopedia of the Bible, vol 1, 1976

Pages 1037-8

“Stauros in the NT, however, apparently was a pole sunk into the ground with a cross-bar fastened to it giving it a “T” shape. Often the word ‘cross’ referred only to the cross-bar.”

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Isaacaustin,

I recall reading a while back in a bible commentary ( don't ask me which one, lol) that the term was probably used because Jesus carried the simlpe post and not the whole cross ( the weight being far to heavy).

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

sounds like an interesting read psac

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest