Name Things JWs Believe That Are Not Actually Biblically Provable

by minimus 231 Replies latest jw friends

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi Isaac

lets see what happens to paul when dealing with false worship in a time did he reclaim it and try and make it over to jesus or......

Acts 19:23-27 (New International Version)

23 About that time there arose a great disturbance about the Way. 24 A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in no little business for the craftsmen. 25 He called them together, along with the workmen in related trades, and said: "Men, you know we receive a good income from this business. 26 And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that man-made gods are no gods at all. 27 There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited, and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty nope the people following gave up worshiping to there false gods and false idols,

Acts 19:19 (New International Version)

19 A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas

Acts 26:19-20 (New International Version)

19 "So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. 20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and to the Gentiles also, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.

paul defending himself to a king shows that he made people prove repentence by their deeds.

Reniaa

• minimus
    minimus

Androb, well put!

• androb31
    androb31

I learned something the other day. I learned the real reason why the Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. Not because it's pagan, I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.

• Chalam
    Chalam

OK time for a new one!

"Name Things JWs Believe That Are Not Actually Biblically Provable"

That we should be Jehovah's Witnesses!

John 15:26 (New International Version)

26 "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

Acts 1 (New International Version)

Jesus Taken Up Into Heaven

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Acts 1:22 (New International Version)

22 beginning from John's baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection."

Acts 26:16 (New International Version)

" 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,' the Lord replied. 16 'Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you.

Acts 4:33 (New International Version)

33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all.

Acts 18:5 (New International Version)

5 When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ.

Corinthians 1:5-6 (New International Version)

5 For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— 6 because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you.

As for myself? I am a one of Jesus' Witnesses, just like the scriptures say :)

All the best,

Stephen

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I think the question is, what really qualifies as proof? As reniaa's posts show, JWs can "prove" any of their doctrines by using verses, that when read singularly seem to support what they are saying, especially when the person's interpretation has already been skewed by what they are reading in WT publications.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

JWs have a lot of hard questions to answer presented in this thread.

Who is Lord?

Why does the WT say Christ was resurrected as a "spirit creature"?

Who is the name above every name?

Why does the bible say one needs to be born again?

Why is Jesus the way, the truth and the life but JWs keep banging on about "jehovah"?

Any "proof" that the JWs offer for their doctrine is normally an isolated verse or two taken out of context

For example, the "FDS", "Michael = Jesus", Jesus has already returned "invisibly" etc.

There are always numerous verses which directly refute their heretical claims.

Anyhow, let them continue in their "proof" and their "light" if that is what they choose. Many others have seen the truth regarding "the truth".

All the best,

Stephen

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Interpretation is the key part of this thread I think.

I wonder if its not lost on anyone reading this, lurkers, JW's, pretend JW's and the like, all of the many interpretations that religious groups apply to themselves via the bible. Two examples are:

The Catholic Church has The Pope. (aka, "the rockmass", not to be confused with "The Rock")

JW's have the Governing Body.

For these two examples, both groups take just a couple of scriptures, and interpret them to their own hierarchal structure. In both instances, interpretation is absolutely required, as the biblical passage lacks the clear mandate that each group and its hierarchy wishes to apply to themselves.

As far as JW's are concerned, their whole religion is about not what can be proven, but what can be interpreted by the GB.

Jehovah's Witnesses are a religion based on interpretation. Part of the requirements of being a JW is that upon baptism, one is no longer allowed to interpret scriptures for themselves. Only the GB is allowed to interpret, even if they change dogma or outright contradict themselves over time.

Literalness is not a friend of JW's and the GB.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Literalness is not a friend of JW's and the GB.

For sure, they say what is plainly written in the bible is not true.

Romans 3:4 (New International Version)

4 Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar.

All the best,

Stephen

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

For these two examples, both groups take just a couple of scriptures, and interpret them to their own hierarchal structure. In both instances, interpretation is absolutely required, as the biblical passage lacks the clear mandate that each group and its hierarchy wishes to apply to themselves.

fwiw,

Roman Catholic, Orthodox and other traditional Christian churches do not put as much emphasis on the Bible as do protestant denominations. Proving that the office of the pope is a Bible teaching is not of much concern to Catholics. Instead they believe that the history of the Church (aka "traditions") give testimony to their belief. The same goes for Orthodox.

An interesting note on this. In the book "Truth in Translation" the NWT is picked as the best translation, but the NAB is right behind. JWs tend to focus on how the NWT was his top pick, but the NAB choice was interesting as well. In the decision to choose the NAB the author felt that it was probably better because it was a Catholic Bible, and that because Catholics do not rely upon the Bible alone to get their doctrines they had less of a motivation to be biased (as opposed to traditional Protestant denominations).

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Androb that was a PRICELESS little snippet you provided! If that doesnt have the WTS shooting themselves SQUARELY in the foot I dont know what DOES!

here here!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit