...Jehovah`s Witness Kids don`t miss Celebrating Birthdays,Christmas..ect..ect!!....

by OUTLAW 143 Replies latest jw friends

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Renaii...might I suggest the sacred festivals held by the Isrealites. These were events of momentous occasion. They were rituals that were planned greatly in advance and anticipated with much enjoyment. They lasted days. Family gathered, traveling many miles to do so. Temporary places of habitation were erected. It was a time of socialization, relaxment, enjoyment and sacredness. They didn't spend all day in the temple. They put out palms (if memory serves) and gathered on the roof to enjoy. They were for the glory of God and jubilation in his provisions.

Christmas is this to me. We glorify God, rejoice in his provision (Jesus) and congregate with family to share in the triumph and joyfullness. Many songs extol God's glory and rejoice in Christ. Children perform plays based on the most special of all occasions, his birth, and learn to let their hearts rejoice with love and happiness and gratefullness.

The bible says let no one judge another for what day he holds holy. You are not to judge another. Period. Eliminating someone's ability to rejoice in God and the Lord Christ Jesus is...wrong. God says so.

As to the original post...I always longed to join in. Who wouldn't? I always felt outcast and it only made it worse to add this burden of judging others and holding a "holier than thou" attitude. I'll never forget the one time, in 6th grade, I was absent for Valentine's day and my teacher set out a box for me. She gave it to me when I returned. I took them with me to the bathroom to read and devour! To feel included! What a wonderful feelling, even if they were pretty impersonal! I wanted to keep them forever, but knew the punishment I would face for it. I also knew how much trouble I would get in just for reading them. So I threw them away.

I also remember, when teachers handed out Christmas presents to the children, having to refuse. I will always remember my 5th grade teacher who found a way around it, telling me she just wanted to give me a present for being such a nice student. God bless Mrs. Simburg.

For our children, we made our own celebrations. We called them "Family Day" and had them for about a year or two before we finally broke free. It took me until January 2006 to see, with my conscience, there was nothing wrong with Christmas. I wish I could go back and get that done a month sooner! It would mean the world to me. But alas...we had our Family Day that January and our oldest was 7 when she had her first Christmas. Bless her heart. She is my angel. Our youngest was 4 and doesn't remember being denied anything. She however had Kindergarten and half of first grade. But she had her first birthday party at 7 and was so excited to do everything! Valentines 2006 was our first official holiday!

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I really enjoyed sitting in the hallway all through elementary school. It was fun to hear my classmates singing songs and eating holiday/birthday treats without me. My favorite part was giving all the valentines back to my schoolmates so they would know what a good witness I was to Jehovah. I really didn't feel left out at all!

WHATEVER! Is there anyone who can't read the sarcasm between the lines?

I didn't miss Christmas per se, I missed joining the other children my age in the normal, fun traditions of my country.

Angie

oh yeah! the camping trips we took over the 4th of July so we wouldn't be tempted to look out the window at the fireworks.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Very well said kw.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

My parents became JWs when I was 5. I still to this day remember my last christmas. I remember at school feeling so different and alone and wierd having to leave the class or sit in a corner doing something else when all the other kids were doing stuff for 'worldly' celebrations. I would never join in even secretly because I lived in such fear of being found out by my parents or Jehovah and the angels seeing me.

But you know looking back I wonder how much damage this does to a very young child. Even though we were told the reasons why we couldn't join in any of these celebrations is it possible that as children we deep down or even subconsciously felt that maybe it was because we didn't deserve to have a birthday party or be given christmas presents anymore. That we weren't anyone special, just a nobody. And how many of these subconscious feelings do we carry into our adult lives.

Now that I am out I feel that celebrating birthdays is such a healthy thing for a child's self esteem. Reinforces that they are just as worthy and deserving and special as other children. I realise that in many parts of the earth that due to circumstances and poverty etc that some children never have any celebration, but I am talking here of children who have had these, and now they are taken away while everyone else around them is still having them or in the case of some witness children, they have had to watch through their entire childhood as other kids around them have fun celebrating while they miss out .

Now that I am out I intend to have my first birthday celebration in 45 years. My deepest regret is that we didn't get out until my son was 17. So he too missed out on all those fun celebrations as a child. The only thing we did have was family wedding anniversary parties so at least there was something. They are all gone though now we are shunned.

Hopscotch

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

My first birthday party was thrown for me when I turned 28 by my future parents in law. I cried a little when they sang to me and I'll never forget how that felt. My 6 year old said it makes his heart feel really big when we sing to him. I'm glad he won't have to feel left out like I did.

Angie

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

I don't think I ever knew who I wanted to be in the org. At school I would tell my friends that I wanted to celebrate my Bday. Inside our home, I led my family to believe I was fulfilled. When my own children were born, I tried to duplicate Christmas, by choosing a special day to spoil them. In retrospect that was assinine, since that is promoting indulgence and materialism. At least the "worldly people" glorfied Jesus too. I was just a wannabe. I still know many people that do this within the org.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

I was not a born in, but most of my fathers family were and are witnesses. My sister and I studied with my Aunt when we were young. I must have been around 14 at the time. At one point we approached my Mother and explained that we did not want to celebrate Christmas or any of the other holidays. She had always allowed us to make our own decision about what religion we wanted, so she accepted our decision. Thus no more holidays.

We no longer received presents on our birthdays or Christmas presents. However my cousins, who were born ins, received winter recess presents and on their birthdays were allowed to choose what they wanted for dinner and were given control of the remote for the day.

I missed Christmas mornings most. Sharing the opening of presents with my family. Also was jealous of my cousins for getting presents. I thought I was doing the right thing by not celebrating, but I missed them. I also felt bad for my mom, she loved the holidays. She was still able to have the witness side of the family over the day after Thanksgiving. So, we weren't celebrating it. Just taking advantage of the family having the day off and the turkey sales.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Renaia says:

Did the israelites miss all the egyptian celebrations when they left with moses?

Shut up about the Hebrew Scriptures already!

You and the Watchtower are completely obsessed with Old Testament examples!

Yes, I missed the holidays- and couldn't care less what the Israelites missed about Egypt thousands of years ago.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Did the israelites miss all the egyptian celebrations when they left with moses?

Actually, I thought they did. Am I misremembering how the Israelites pined for the good things they had in Egypt and were eager to engage in festivities with other nations they met in the wilderness?

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Bullshit...they do...and in fact they feel so bad about it, since they are treated like zombies, and aliens from the rest of the world. I wanted to have my birthday party, Xmas, passover, and all the things that kids of my age use to do.

WT IS LOUSY CULT MADE BY OLD AROGANT FOULS WHO HAD NO SATISFACTION IN LIFE, and they want to make other people unhappy like them...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit