Did you Observe Medical Emergencies Occur While Meetings Continued On?

by flipper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

the first and the only time as a elder,I made the announcement of a close friend in our Hall, a disfellowshiping

Before I could finish reading the announcement I Pass out cold, I have seen how this announcement can

ruin lives, I just could not do it. Anyway when I regain consciousness they had moved me to the library.

My wife told me I was out for 15min or so. No one call the ambulance, but the announcement was made

on the disfellowship.

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

My mom is JW and she was telling me how a brother giving the watchtower talk collasped into the audience!!! They paused until the ambulence came to take him to the hospital where he died but after the ambulence left they just continued with the rest of the rest of the paragraphs. ugh!

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 4/07 p. 5 Follow the Christ by Manifesting Dignity ***

Accidents and Emergencies:Emergency-response services have complained that they receive many cell-phone calls over minor matters. If a medical emergency arises at the convention site, please contact a nearby attendant, who will immediately notify First Aid so that our qualified first-aid personnel on-site can assess the seriousness of the situation and render assistance.If necessary, 911 will be called by our first-aid personnel on-site.

I watched once as a qualified, identifiable EMT (not a jw) stepped in to assist a woman clearly having a heart attack. An attendant tried to interfere. The EMT told him that if anyone tried to prevent him rendering aid and calling 911 (from his cellphone) that the EMT would have any and all arrested (I don't know if he could have, but he sounded convincing).

Boy did they back off.

That ended up with a terse conversation between building administration and WT convention administration letting them know that in no way was the building admin going to have anyone die on their property by interference with an EMT from any jw not even WTS personnel.

I knew this EMT, a husband of a jw, who told me that jws were definitely certifiable.

Blondie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

*** km 4/07 p. 5 Follow the Christ by Manifesting Dignity ***

That is totally disgusting. If "Brother Johnny" or "Sister Sally" calls 911, it is their decision and their responsibility. I can see the need to inform the attendants of an emergency because victims/patients need to be located and offered immediate assistance. Often, first aid such as oxygen or wound treatment can save a life or make a difference in something becoming major or minor. I have no problem with the general counsel to get First Aid personnel. 911 responders will need to find the victim and attendants/First Aid can make that easier and quicker.

But there should be no red tape in any family member or victim themself deciding they need 911, and there should be no delay in a qualified sister making the call.

Brother Johnny can answer for why he thought he should call 911. I say that after I fully agree with the first statement: Emergency-response services have complained that they receive many cell-phone calls over minor matters.
    Yes, there are too many cell phone calls over minor matters, but let each person answer for himself.

Accidents and Emergencies:Emergency-response services have complained that they receive many cell-phone calls over minor matters. If a medical emergency arises at the convention site, please contact a nearby attendant, who will immediately notify First Aid so that our qualified first-aid personnel on-site can assess the seriousness of the situation and render assistance.If necessary, 911 will be called by our first-aid personnel on-site.

• flipper
    flipper

CRAPOLA- Sounds about right. The witnesses never stop meetings for heart problems or anything else for that matter.

JAM- What a horrible experience you had ! Passing out before announcing your friends DFing - then waking up 15 minutes later and finding out someone else announced it anyway ! How insensitive they were ! And nobody called an ambulance ?? Where do these people come from ? Another planet for sure !

JOSHNAZ- At least they paused before the ambulance came to get the brother ! At least it's better than continuing the meeting without stopping. But in my opinion they should stop the meeting and cancel it for another time if something like that happens. It would show more human decency and respect.

BLONDIE- Your quote from the kingdom ministry certainly shows just how far the WT society tries to exert control into people's lives- even preventing them from calling 911 themselves and deciding themselves if they have a medical emergency. That decision is being taken away from them. It's criminal of the WT society to exert this type of control. I bet that arena was pissed beyond compare at the witnesses interferring with the EMT ! And rightly so ! Unbelievable and sick.

OTWO- Very true what you say. The big problem here is control, control, control over the individuals and families rights to decide what's an emergency- and what is not. That should be each persons call- not the WT society ! Just frosts my balls thinking about it ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• rebel8
    rebel8

These stories are completely bizarre.

I have seen medical emergencies in public places (stores, airport) and the staff intentionally divert attention away from it to discourage rubberneckers.

I think the difference btwn those events and the ones you guys have mentioned is that the persons in charge made sure the emergency was handled. Saving face and crowd control were secondary.

• alamb
    alamb

There is an older thread on this if I can find it. Lots of horror stories.

We got back from Field Service and found an elderly brother who had gone to mow the lawn dead on the grass. I called his wife who was at home and went with her to the hospital. The group drove past us in their cars and went back out door to door because the circuit overseer was visiting and they wanted to impress him.

Didn't impress me.

• alamb
  • flipper
    flipper

REBEL 8- These are bizarre stories. It's horrendous in my opinion that human empathy isn't shown and the " spiritual show " must go on. Appearance and saving face is what all the control of the WT society is all about .

ALAMB- That is awful that those people out in service didn't check on the sister or her deceased brother but just kept on going out in service. Witnesses are more concerned about impressing C.O.'s than showing empathy. Thanks for the link- appreciate it

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I worked at a gym for awhile. A big one, about 100 people there. A man fell off the treadmill, heart attack.

EVERYONE STOPPED WORKING OUT. I MEAN EVERYONE. Two people did CPR, and when the Fire Department got there, everyone was standing still on their treadmills and on the stairs. Some girls were crying. One tough-looking guy who had done CPR on him was openly crying.

The man died. 41 years old, I checked his ID later.

Our boss had a talk with us later, he congratulated those who had helped. We had a moment of silence for the guy.

Compare that to the Kingdom Hall. Everyone I talk with seems more concerned about the rules, and not letting the meeting be stopped, than the person that is ill or hurt!!!

I remember once talking to the bro in charge of First Aid at the Circuit Assembly. He went on and on how this is not a hospital, and that people should not go to first aid, and that for emergencies they call 911 if necessary.

I asked him, "So then, why do they have a First Aid department?"

He didn't answer.

What a difference!

BF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit