Did you Observe Medical Emergencies Occur While Meetings Continued On?

by flipper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

BONAFIDE- Wow. What a difference in how the people in your gym responded to the man's medical emergencies than the Jehovah's Witnesses at their meetings ! I find it astounding that it's so difficult for people who claim to be Christian to show human empathy and caring during medical emegencies. It's like they are transfixed by the cult mind control drivel coming off the platform and hypnotized by it. Even during emergencies. Good question you asked the brother in charge of first aid, " Why have a first aid ? " Should just let everybody make their OWN 911 calls, instead of controlling when calls are made. It's a personal decision to seek medical attention anyway- at least it should be

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Shocking stories.What a heartless cult.

Bangalore

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

We had a meeting the day after Diana's death. I was shocked she was not mentioned once nor were prayers offered for her family.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

In fairness, I was at my local Episcopal church when an older regular member had a heart attack. The situation was tense. We had a suprlus of nurses and the one md was not present. The nurses, about four or five of them, sprung into action. The priest was giving the sermon. She looked very concerned but she decided to go ahead after we said a group prayer for him. She said the nurses were managing the situation. They knew what to do far better than she did. The man was present at church the next week. I knew him well.

Another siutation I wondered about happened in the wake of 9/11. The high status churches became funeral homes. Funerals were taking place every fifteen minutes for months. Families were fighting each other over priority. Women sobbed but frequently some powerful captain of industry would wail so hard during the service. I wanted to jump up and console. In my entire life, I never saw such wailing in real life, film, or TV. Their bodies seemed racked. The only response from the priests was to look in the man's direction for a few seconds then they returned to normal activity. It was very hard but I stayed in my seat. Since I did not attend every week, I wonder if rules were discussed while I was away. Anyway,what can you say?

I was never allowed to be ill in any way on meeting night. No matter how ill, I was dragged to the KH.

• blondie
    blondie

We had 2 RNs in the congregation, but they called the ambulance. We had 2 firefighters and 2 EMTs in another. They acted professionally. It's when elders think the holy spirit conferred a medical degree on them, there could be problems.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

In a car group one day, the subject somehow got to the question of if you had to die, what would you prefer to be doing at the time? Without exception the answers were "going door to door" or in the KH. I detected a somewhat distorted viewpoint that somehow being at the KH or in service would somehow help your standing with Jehovah. When it came time for my answer I told them where I was didn't matter, but rather that trained and qualified people were attending to me and trying to save my life. This struck them the wrong way, and the subject was quickly dropped.

I think that the decision as to whether or not to continue the service should be on a case-by-case basis. In an Assembly Hall where thousands are assembled and have likely already made plans and hotel reservations, there should be no need to cancel the entire thing. However, I heard that GB member Lloyd Berry had a heart attack at a convention in Hawaii while giving a talk. He died shortly after. After they hauled him off the stage, someone else got up there and picked up where he left off, using his notes. Now that is disrespect. At very least they should have called for an impromtu intermission and let people collect their thoughts. If the show was to go on, they should have made a short announcement as to Berry's condition and possibly a prayer before going into the next scheduled speaker.

With KH's, they are more intimate settings. Everyone knows the person well, and their thoughts are with this person and not on the scheduled program. For this reason, it's probably just best to conclude with a prayer and a few comments and wishes for the victim. Instead there's this mentality that Jehovah would want the program to go on, and by continuing the talk as if nothing happened would be the best witness possible for this person.

• finally awake
    finally awake

In a car group one day, the subject somehow got to the question of if you had to die, what would you prefer to be doing at the time? Without exception the answers were "going door to door" or in the KH. I detected a somewhat distorted viewpoint that somehow being at the KH or in service would somehow help your standing with Jehovah. When it came time for my answer I told them where I was didn't matter, but rather that trained and qualified people were attending to me and trying to save my life. This struck them the wrong way, and the subject was quickly dropped.

This topic came up once at a gathering with the local dubs. My opinion was that if I had to die before I was really old, I wanted my passing to be as big of a pain in the rear for everyone else as it was for me. Therefore, I would prefer to die first thing Monday morning after I got to work. The worst would be a Friday afternoon before I was scheduled to go on a vacation. Apparantly, I was not a very good witless.

• flipper
    flipper

BANGALORE- Yes indeed they are shocking stories . And yes indeed it is a heartless cult.

AMELIA ASHTON- Are you talking of Princess Diana's death, or a close relative of yours ?

BAND ON THE RUN- Well, it is good that nurses and medical personnel were available to help the older gentleman in your church. However I still feel that out of respect the pastor should have discontinued the service in a humane way and just offer up " prayers " for him or something. To me - human life and well being take priority over outward appearances and concerns for the alleged " show must go on " . Hey, that's just me, how I roll. I'm sure that was quite a sad affair attending the funerals of 9/11 victims. I can only imagine how much outward show of mourning occured. Fortunately my JW parents were more realistic when I was a child and didn't force me to attend meetings when I was sick. I'm sorry your parents forced you to attend.

BLONDIE- It's good you had that many medical professionals in your congregation. You are right. When elders or even attendants at conventions try to pull rank and interfere with medical personnel attending someone's needs - THAT is when boundaries have been crossed and WT personnel should be put in their place.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS- I can only imagine the silence that occured when you stated in your service car group that you would prefer to have medical professionals be close if you experienced a medical emergency. JW's are trained to NOT worry about their health or medical needs but to be in service or attend meetings if they are half dead . That was disgusting and sad how the WT society handled the Lloyd Barry heart attack case. Meeting should have been stopped and early intermission to allow people to collect their thoughts in meditation. Think about it - what if the president of the U.S. or some other celebrity public speaker were giving a lecture and had a stroke or a heart attack , would someone step in and continue giving the discourse ? I highly doubt it. That's what I'm saying. The WT society talks given at assemblies ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT to necessitate that the " show must go on " in spite of medical emergencies.

In my opinion - it is the blurred and arrogant vision that the WT society leaders and representatives HAVE of their own importance and supposed importance of what they are doing that keeps meetings and talks going on in situations like these - without due humane consideration for the individual health needs of families or their relatives. Pretty disgusting

• flipper
    flipper

FINALLY AWAKE- Hey, it's kind of strange, but we never get to pick the time we die, you know ? LOL ! It kind of smacks us upside the head- then we're dead ! But I get your drift. It would be nice to have people around being concerned. I wouldn't want my family too inconvienced- but hey we only get to die once, right ? Might as well do it up right. Get them involved. My main concern would be emotional support for my wife and son from my family if I died. If they didn't support them, I'd come back and haunt them from the grave ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

This situation happened at one of the last meetings I attended. They had to do the talk, WT study switcharoo because the visiting speaker was running late.

Now get this. The speaker explains that the reason for his tardiness was that he had to drop his wife off at the emergency room, and it was indeed a medical emergency on her part, on his way to the hall. ???? Wait a minute. What?

Yes, you read that correctly. He stated the info like it was a point of honor, implying his loyalty and faithfulness for a theocratic assignment was not to be hindered by a little medical issue concerning his wife. Was he so important and irreplaceable that someone couldn't have pinch- hitted?

Even my wife saw the absurdity of the situation, if she cussed even she would have said WTF? Looking back, I wonder if he had time to take the brothers up on the Lunch hospitality usually offered?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit