Did you Observe Medical Emergencies Occur While Meetings Continued On?

by flipper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I've thought a lot about this over the years . Bonafide's thread reminded me of this and how unethical and insensitive it was for Jehovah's Witnesses meetings to go on without stopping while some rank and file members were having medical emergencies right in the kingdom hall. My experience I will never forget.

In 1983 I was among some pioneers who were giving experiences at a circuit assembly in front of a crowd of about 2,000. This 83 year old sister was standing at the microphone and when she got done with her part - she sat next to me in her chair on the stage. I was due up next. She passed out on my shoulder I could not wake her up. She had a massive heart attack - so I motioned to a brother sitting a few chairs away to help me carry her off the stage. You could hear gasps from the audience and groans - but the elder just kept ad-libbing his talk and would not stop.

We got the sister behind the curtain and tried to perform CPR resting her head on her coat. A brother who was a fireman and a sister who was a registered nurse came behind the curtain from the audience within 4 to 5 minutes. The nurse got the sisters heart going finally , but she had lost too much oxygen and later died. Through that whole 25 to 30 minutes the brother never acknowledged what had just happened , never stopped. AND he wanted the brother and myself to still go out and give our experiences - and young mind controlled JW's that we were- we did. I felt bad later when I was less mind controlled , and felt anger over the insensitivity by the brother to the sad moment that had occurred .

Think about it- What would have been so wrong with stopping the program 15 minutes early before lunch break and telling the audience there was a major medical emergency ? Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that . And it would have been the RIGHT thing to do. But it is very exposing and telling of the hypnotic cult like trance that Jehovah's Witnesses get into even at the expense of showing authentic human decency and kindness. It's shameful and appalling. Have any of you attended Jehovah's Witnesses meetings and observed this happen ? I invite any experiences as it may enlighten some newer members of the board just what has taken place inside the witnesses. I look forward to your takes as always. Thanks. Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

My husband had a major heart attack while a being the school overseer and it was his fault that he would not tell anyone he was having bad chest pains as he latter said he wanted Jehovah's meeting to go on. But at the end of the meeting when he finally did tell another elder. The elder let me drive him to the hospital alone instead of calling an ambulance. He could have died in the car with me alone, it was all so very stupid looking back. Now I am just bitter at it all, the they brain wash people to give up their lives for the cause so to speak. My husband is just very deluded, hopefully he will see someday.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not to defend the JW's, but as an emergency worker, I have entered churches where the service went on while someone needed an ambulance. I don't know for a fact that they didn't pause while making sure the person would get help, but we have been in the aisle getting someone out of a pew into a stretcher while the priest preached on.

It can be part of the idea that doing something to keep people's attention off of the emergency is the right thing to do. You and I disagree with them.

The one you describe, a lady on the platform- there's really no excuse for that. Disgusting.

I remember one very tall elderly man who would come in slightly late for the meeting and would sometimes fall walking to the seats. I never saw the speaker stop speaking. But there was always someone helping the guy. The people helping him thought they needed to get him to his feet as fast as possible to minimize the disruption of the meetings. If I was there, I would stop them from moving him and ask him if he was alright before allowing him to move or be moved. People would shush me as I asked loudly enough to be clearly heard. I ignored them and took care of the guy and made sure he didn't break anything, then asked if he was ready to sit in a chair. It was quite comical.

• flipper
    flipper

VERY STUPID- I'm glad your husband made it and survived ! Man oh man- that could have been rough in the ride to the hospital as you were by yourself with him. Very unloving for no one to offer to go with you to the hospital. And the fact your husband was intent on finishing his part in spite of what he was going through- blame that on the cult mind control of the WT society. Your husband was just being controlled like the rest of them. He will see the scam someday.

OTWO- I'm sure it has happened in other churches as well - but these JW's just get SO TRANSFIXED by what they are doing - they wouldn't notice a dog crapping inside the kingdom hall during a meeting. The show must go on. But yes the sister dying was very sad. And a very interesting experience with the man as well. I'm glad someone helped him. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen a "sister" fall down the stairs trying to get to the Kingdumb Hell for a regular boasting session. This was when she was on her way into the Kingdumb Hell. Of course, she stayed at the boasting session. Notably, this was an elderly "sister", not someone that merely stumbled--meaning serious injury was possible. (No, the steps were not icy at the time--another reason to suspect more serious problems as the cause of the fall).

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Once in West Sacramento, CA a sister was carrying her newborn child to the back to feed I assume. I was sitting in the back as an attendant when I saw her get up and walk past her husband toward the aisle. When she got past him he stuck out his foot and lifted up her foot and tripped her. She fell on her elbows but did not put any weight on the baby. I immediately rushed to help her as did my dad and another brother. The husband sat there and did nothing. The speaker did nothing, just kept on droning on and on about how wonderful his trip to Patterson was. The po came to the back and told us to take her outside to wait for the ambulance I had called. It was raining and windy so a sister attender them in the ladie's room and I waited by the open door for ems.

Baby and mom were in perfect health. I tripped her husband everytime I saw the sumbitch.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

One of my family members was telling me last year about the "arrangements for emergencies" in her congregation. She had asked the elders what to do if something happened to someone in the Hall during a meeting, since she is a nurse.

Their reply was that they would not interrupt the spiritual food from Jehovah coming from the platform. So they arranged for two brothers to be ready to carry whoever it is outside the Kingdom Hall and then provide treatment.

I said that is wasting precious time, but my family member said, "Remember Bonafide, spiritual things ALWAYS come first, even before medical things."

I tried not to show my anger at that, but it doesn't matter what I say anyway, the elders decide and that's it.

BF

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Another one: Last year at Norco, CA, during the Circuit Assembly, a sister broke her leg in the restroom, she slipped. The elders acted as if Armageddon was coming, and blocked off the restroom, and then gave us attendants instructions to MAKE A LINE OF BROTHERS WITH OUR BACK TO THE RESTROOM ALL THE WAY TO THE EXIT. This was so no one would see the sister being taken out on a gurney.

Bizarre

I posted on here before also about the fight I had with the bros about the AED (Automatic External Defribilator) that the Assembly Hall refused to buy. Again, the brothers said the Society says it was too expensive, ($1500), too dangerous, (The only danger is if you touch the patient while they are being defribilated, but the voice on the AED says loudly, "Stand Clear!), and it doesnt work anyway, (CNN says 50% success rate with AED).

I explained that it only takes a few minutes to learn how it works, and that a child could do it, but my comments were dismissed as being "not following Theocratic Order."

BF

• flipper
    flipper

WTWIZARD- I feel it is awful that elderly ones feel they HAVE to be at every meeting even in inclement weather ! I've talked with my JW mom about this as she has taken falls before out in service or getting ready too fast for meetings. The WT society makes them feel so guilty for missing meetings.

TIRED of the HYPOCRISY- Man oh man ! If I had been a fellow attendant with you I know I would have not only helped the sister up after her husband tripped her- but I'd have helped you by grabbing him by the F.....ing collar and dragged his ass up the steps to talk to the first elder I'd find ! I swear to God ! Where do these people come from !!?? Tripping his own wife carrying their baby ?? Ba$tard !

BONAFIDE- You would think a registered nurse or anyone in the medical field would put the health and life ahead of ANY meeting going on ! I guess not a JW doctor or nurse, eh ? That was a freaky experience at Norcal assembly hall. Jesus. Hiding the sister as they wheeled her out of the convention so people wouldn't see it ? Probably worried about lawsuits or word getting out to the public - once again more concerned about outward appearances than the actual medical emergency. Ridiculous. Thanks for sharing that experience. Very revealing

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

yup, sad to say but ive seen it once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit