What Was The Very First Thing That Came Across Your Eyes That Lead You Down The Road To Doubt?

by Yizuman 94 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Trying to explain Jesus is Michael to a non-jw.....the 2300 days prophecy.

• donny
    donny

. It may be argued, too, that organ transplants are different from cannibalism since the "donor" is not killed to supply food." (The Watchtower, March 15, 1980, p. 31)

This argument should also allow blood transfusions since likewise, the donor is not killed. I remember reading some of the articles about blood from the magazines from this period and they sometimes stated that a blood transfusion was likewise an organ transplant and therefore should be avoided.

Don

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

6 (now 7) billion people to be destroyed, with only JW's surviving Armageddon, juxtaposed against watching 9/11 and the Towers falling Armageddon style. That woke me up to how I NEVER believed that would happen

607 BCE as the date of Jerusalems first destruction is wrong. Its 587 BCE. AND THE GB HAS KNOWN ABOUT THIS FOR AT LEAST 30 YEARS.

Though I haven't read Captives of a Concept yet, I have heard a couple of interviews and am aware of the total destruction of the Faithful and Discreet Slave concept by the GB teaching that Jesus gave them control in 1919. Esp when you consider that there is NOT ONE PIECE OF DOGMA JW's teach now, that they agreed with in 1919. (other then using Jehovah as the name of god and disagreeing with hell and the trinity.) They still did birthdays, Christmas, used the cross, and decidedly did not preach or organize their congregations "correctly". (if one is to assume that how they do it today is "correct") Since the FD Slave/GB concept is wrong, there is no authority base, and no basis to view them as the one "channel" for god.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The Malawi / Mexico situations really got me thinking.

That was the one for me. I was sickened by it. I remembered the problem started in Malawi and the things especially the women were going through. Then to find out about Mexico.

I was sicked by it.

Then I really started doing my homework on the WTS. And it always boiled down to money

• shamus100
    shamus100

It was a lot of things; but the lack of love was what started it.

Things just didn't "feel right". Much too controlling, constantly going over and over the same indoctronation over and over and over again. I knew something was really wrong. And watchtower studies - underline the answers and comment. Huh? Not to mention I could not live up to the impossible standards set out by them.

It took me YEARS after leaving the witnesses before I actually did some research on them.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

can't remember exactly, but

1....I had alot of free time at work, and I went to freeminds site. then I went to site with alot of recorded experiences from ex-witlesses (recorded them all and listened on cd).

then I came across this site, i was MS then, and did public talks too.

2.... well, it seems like the brothers were hypocrites on many situations, when the WT said we were otherwise.

3.... also, i have handicapped people in family, and started to question why a god a goodness would do such things to innocent ones (accidents are human made, diseases come in time, but born with them?).... this also transformed

in blaming the god of the wt for disasters!

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Since I was a child I think there have been little things niggling away at my brain about the Watchtower doctrines, but I always questionned individuals' interpretations of what the Organization had to say and not the Organization itself.

I think one of the first things to make me question the Organization was the 1975 prophecy. 1975 had been an important year for my family with half of them leaving the religion due to various issues surrounding that year. I was born well after 1975 but I still felt the effects of it. One day I had questions about 1975 and my grandmother said "The faithful slave NEVER prophecied that it would be the end of the world, just a significant year, which it WAS". This got me thinking why it was such a big issue for those who left, and what exactly happened to make it a significant year apart from the "cleansing of the Organization" which was a self-fullfilling prophecy. I couldn't imagine my uncle getting worked up over 1975 being called a "significant year".

So I started digging... and of course once I started using the Internet, more and more problems started creaping up. I was already aware of the paedophilia problem and the constant date-setting, but I had made excuses for the Organization. The Internet brought those issues into sharper focus and brought even more issues to light, such as the UN affiliation, 607 v 586, Malawi/Mexico and Russell's pyramidology.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

For me it was the Creation book. I started reading some of the books quoted by the Creation book, the purpose being to bolster my faith. HA! When I saw how terribly out of context so many secular quotes--supposedly proof for the Society's position on evolution--were taken, the scales started to fall from my eyes, but it was bloody painful. I started researching 607 v. 586, found this site (thank God for the Internet) and the walls came tumbling down...

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Haha, yeah it's funny how you do something to "bolster your faith" which then has the opposite effect. That's why the society discourages us from looking into things too deeply.

If we have love for Jehovah and for the organization of his people we shall not be suspicious, but shall, as the Bible says, 'believe all things,' all the things that The Watchtower brings out. - Qualified 1955 p.156

We may think of study as hard work, as involving heavy research. But in Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to do that very thing, [...] Take this suggestion: Often the very best and most beneficial studying you do is that done when you read a new Watchtower or Awake! or a new book with the joy of getting the new truths and a fresh view. - WT 1967 June 1 p.338 Move Ahead with Jehovah's Organization

• oompa
    oompa

you dont want to know.....really......but it was in third grade.........i just never fit in the jw world.........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit