Should women be allowed to have 14 kids without job?

by sammielee24 280 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Just how many fathers are involved in all 14 children? I doubt any!

The grandmother had said that the daughter had frozen a pile of her eggs and that the sperm donor for all 14 kids was the same person. I don't know if she is telling the truth or not - but if the grandmother does leave, I don't know who the mother will have step in to help her with care. It is an interesting case that poses interesting questions.

sammieswife.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I didn't see anywhere in the article where it said the woman didn't have a job or that she was receiving public assistance. She must have a reasonable degree of intelligence to be doing a master's degree.

I don't think we should make the assumption that wanting to have 14 children means you are mentally ill. Some people love children. Some people with money adopt a dozen or so children. Before birth control was readily available, large families wee the norm and families of 10-12 children were not uncommon.

In the end, the question of whether to implant 8 embryos is between a woman and her doctor, unless she is on public assistance, but then if that were the case she wouldn't be able to afford in vitro fertilization in the first place. I would mostly be concerned for the safety of the woman and the fetuses. However, since she survived the pregnancy and the children survived and are healthy, we can't even retrospectively find fault with the doctor's judgement. No harm, no foul.

Personally, I believe that ideally children should have their father in the picture. Having two parents gives children a more balanced perspective and provides them with two role models for life, teaching them about both sexes. That's my personal values but I don't think it's my business to tell other women what to do if they aren't asking my support any more than it's my business to tell any of you how many children you should have.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Then the state began requiring healthcare providers to ensure their Medicaid patients weren't on the list of molesters before prescribing Viagara. Problem solved. I believe in regulating healthcare providers.

Exactly, IMO a good deal of this case is really not about the government regulating people's reproductive choices as it is regulating medical treatments/drugs as it always has. There are tons of medical regulations on the books, and it's already apparent that implanting 8 embryos was highly questionable even life threatening - whether she had other children or not.

I'm as liberal as the next person, but, I'm very tired of the argument for reproductive rights supporting extreme cases like this. I do not believe that anyone should be able to have as many children as they like, especially if they exhibit signs of mental instability. When a person's "rights" begin to significantly impose on the public good it is no longer a private matter - take that how you want to.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'm still not sure what signs of mental instability were exhibited by this woman other than wanting lots of children. Since when is that a sign of mental instability? Is that in the DSMV IV? I never noticed it.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

This is a quote from the article:

Diane G. Sanford, a psychologist and author specializing in women's reproductive mental health, said while she doesn't know much about Nadya Suleman's background, women that have obsessive-compulsive disorder can become fixated on different obsessions.

Whether it's washing your hands 180 times a day or being obessed with popping out babies you have NO intention or plan on supporting, goes beyond the realm of normal behavior. I guarantee that she can be diagnosed with multiple issues, - probably lacks a sense of the reality surrounding her. Her extreme case is being confused with a woman wanting a large family, but having the right supportive elements in place. Living off your parents and driving your own mother to have psychiatric problems and not caring about how all these children will be fed and cared for, also seems a bit narcissistic (sp?)

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think it's reasonable for people to draw a conclusion that a person is either incredibly immature and selfish or else in need of pschological help, when they wish to continue having children without any real individual financial way to do so. Having granddad go back to Iraq to work so he can help support your kids, driving your own mother into therapy so she could deal with your issues - would be a clue that you need some time out. Once we know more of the story it will make it easier to fill in the blanks - but for now - it seems that money is about to exchange hands. ..I come from a very large family and I wish more people had the experience.....sammieswife.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been one week since news broke that a California woman named

Nadya Suleman, Octuplets Mom, Wants $2 Million for Interview

Nadya Suleman gave birth to octuplets. After the sensation of a rare octuplet birth wore off, the media began an intensive investigation into Nadya Suleman and has been highly critical of her decision to have 8 embryos implanted in her womb, considering that she is an unmarried woman with six previous children, and is not employed. Now the London Times is reporting that Nadya Suleman is planning a career in television as a child care expert and is seeking a cool $2 Million dollars for an interview, courting Diane Sawyer from GMA and Oprah Winfrey. Move over John & Kate Plus 8, there's a new super mom in town. She took your twins and sextuplets and upped the ante to twins, octuplets and four other children.

John & Kate Plus 8: Nadya Suleman's inspiration?John & Kate Plus 8 is an immensely popular reality television show on TLC. Love her or hate her, Kate Gosselin's show draws viewers seeking to get a glimpse into what it takes to raise such a large brood of kids, six of which are all the same age. But John & Kate are not raising those kids without outside help. Viewers know that Jon & Kate have had a lot of help from kind souls over the years who have helped them juggle the never ending cycle of household chores and raising babies.

When the sextuplets were born, donations poured in when it became apparent that the financial burden of raising so many babies at one time would be too much for the Gosselins. Why shouldn't Nadya Suleman assume that she would also receive the same celebrity status and financial assistance that the Gosselins have received? Why

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

There are a lot of assumption is your reply independent _tre. The psychologist said whe doesn't know much about the woman. Then she makes a generalized comment about women with obsessive compulsive disorder. Putting these two sentences together can mislead the reader into thinking this psychologist actually examined the woman and diagnosed her with obsessive compulsive disorder.

How do we know the woman is obsessed with popping out babies? I've known many men and women who love children and want a large family. How do you know she has no intention or plan for supporting them? Those were all assumptions made by people reading the article. The article did not state any of those things as proven facts. How can you guarantee the woman can be diagnosed with multiple issues? Have you ever met her, talked to her or spent time with her? Do you have any mental health qualifications? Are you aware of the diagnostic criteria for mental health illnesses in the DSMV IV? Do you even know what that is? If you did, you would probably know that you cannot drive someone else into having mental health problems simply by living with them and having children. The grandmother may have her own mental health problems already. At what point and after how many children was she unable to just say, "No, you and your children cannot live with me? I don't want to help you take care of them?" That's her free choice just as it is her daughter's free choice to have children.

Having any children, including only one, can be a narcissistic act if the reason you are having children is for your own ego gratification. If you truly love children and have the means and support to help them grow into healthy adults, then it is possible to have 14 children and have it be an act of love not of narcissm.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

How do we know the woman is obsessed with popping out babies?

Her mother reported that the daughter was obsessed from the time she was a teenager. It was the mother who also sought counselling to try and deal with her daughter and her obsession - so unless the mother is lying, then we have to believe that she spoke of what she knew. sammieswife.

• crapola
    crapola

I think she is mentally unstable and the poor children will pay the price. How can they be properly cared for even with help?

My daughter and her husband have 2 little girls 10 months apart and they nearly drive crazy sometimes. I can't even imagine more than that!!!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

How do we know the woman is obsessed with popping out babies?

Her mother reported that the daughter was obsessed from the time she was a teenager. It was the mother who also sought counselling to try and deal with her daughter and her obsession - so unless the mother is lying, then we have to believe that she spoke of what she knew. sammieswife.

My parents say I'm mentally ill because I left the WT, that doesn't make it true. When parents disagree with their children's life choices, it is easy to exaggerate and pathologize them.

I've noticed the same trend on discussion boards. "I don't agree with what you are saying or doing therefore you must be one sick individual!"

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit