Should women be allowed to have 14 kids without job?

by sammielee24 280 Replies latest jw friends

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Government has no business in a womans woumb even in this ridulous case. However this could smack as some serious child abuse.

I must ask just how someone on assistance of some sort thinks that 6 is not enough. Just how many fathers are involved in all 14 children? I doubt any!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I thought we wanted government OUT OF OUR BEDROOMS? I thought women should make CHOICES regarding their reproductive rights?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't care how many kids someone has as long as they keep them the hell away from me.

W

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't know how I feel about the ethics of the doctors.

In some ways, I am reminded of the convicted child molesters on Medicaid who got free Viagara, paid for by us taxpayers. There was some controversy about revoking coverage, saying they "had a right to have sex lives".

Then the state began requiring healthcare providers to ensure their Medicaid patients weren't on the list of molesters before prescribing Viagara. Problem solved. I believe in regulating healthcare providers.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I guess I thought invetro was a process somethng like going through adoption, which I guess seems silly now on my part to have thought that.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

There is no perfect answer, although to treat this case as what typically happens would be a mistake. This is an anomaly.

It tests our principles as a country. What are we about, personal responsibility? Can one mom take care of the physical needs of 14 children? Should the kids be punished, starved, taken care of?

It all depends how this turns out through the years.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I saw one of the drs. being interviewed. He said it is none of his business to "interfere" with the decision--it's his job to either do or not do the procedure if he has the skill/knowledge to do it.

His peers are criticizing him for implanting too many embryos, saying it's abnormal to implant that many, etc.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Potential ethical issues aside, the doctor wouldn't have done anything unless he/she was getting paid. They obviously do not care who pays the bill as long as someone pays the bill: Self pay (unlikely), insurance (unlikely), government (bingo)...someone paid the bill and will pay for the 40 something people who delivered that litter.

And it is likely the government welfare system will continue to pay for 14 kids for the next 20 years. Oh, wait, that means the taxpayer will pay for those 14 kids. Don't want kids? Too bad, you are paying for hers. (As if California and federal governments don't have enough money issues without her adding to it).

Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counselling, college spokeswoman Paula Selleck told the Press-Telegram.

Ironic? She needs counseling.

Ethically, where do we draw the line? Can we draw the line collectively as a society? (Isn't it something you need a license to have a TV in Europe but not to be a parent?). I have no issue with helping someone that has a family and they come on hard times through no fault of their own (illness, layoff); but to start out by putting yourself in a bad situation (and presuming that "the government" will pay for it) does not make sense to me. But if we try to legislate family planning, then it is a slippery slope towards China's "one child" policies. Part of the cost of "Freedom" I guess.

Snakes ()

• rebel8
    rebel8

What is the alternative? To tell people how many children to have?

The alternative is twofold IMO.

The first is to educate people heavily about overpopulation and its effects upon the Earth and our economy. This is something we are doing a shoddy job of, because no one wants to hear it. There are still lots of bright people out there who don't realize the population of the world, including the US, is continuing to skyrocket....because all we hear about is the idiosynchratic story about less babies being born in one year in one country. People still think they're contributing to the economy by making babies, because we never hear otherwise.

The second is what we're already doing--putting lots of social pressure upon people who make the wrong choices.

• rebel8
    rebel8

This story was on Fark.com with the headline, "Octuplets doing fine, squirting ink"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit