BIG NEWS! Leader of German Watchtower History Archives Resignes and Leaves Branch Office!

by GermanXJW 108 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have read a lot of Wrobel's writings. He has countered revisionist interpretations of Witness history by German church historians, Richard Singelenberg, and indirectly James Penton as well. It has been widely assumed he wrote this response to criticism of the official Witness history during the Nazi period: http://www.watchtower.org/e/19980708/article_01.htm

This would be very big news indeed if he left bethel on bad terms. There are still apparently things in the Germany Branch Watchtower archives that outsiders are not allowed to access. Wrobel presumably had unlimited access to all that is in the archives. He must know some interesting stuff.

• sspo
    sspo

Good news, i hope he resigned because he finally realized the "truth" is full of lies.

• Farkel
    Farkel

GermanXJW,

Nice to see you still posting, old friend!

I wonder if this current resignation and the story of Barbara Anderson and her leaving has something to tell us.

Both were considered serious and respectible researchers. Both were privy to information that is not commonly available to most JWs. Barb discovered lots of problems and lies in Watchtower history when she was researching and that is what caused her to resign and eventually leave.

I wonder if Wrobel discovered the same thing.....

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Farkel

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I find it strange if he left because he no longer believes in the Witnesses. After all he has clearly been reading apostate literature for decades, or else how could he have written the responses to outside criticism that he has? If apostate arguments did not impress him in the past then why now? The most likely explanation would be he fell out with someone more senior than him. (this is all assuming he did leave on bad terms, and that has not been confirmed yet it seems) That's what most defections boil down to, in my opinion.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There may be similarities between Wrobel and Barbara Anderson but don't take it too far.

Wrobel wrote serious articles for peer reviewed journals, whereas Barbara Anderson wrote parts of the Proclaimers book.

Wrobel dictated the direction of his own research and was very much in charge of the project, whereas Barbara Anderson had to report to Karl Adams what she was researching.

Wrobel's defection would be a much bigger deal in my view.

• Farkel
    Farkel

slim,

My point was that those who do serious (as supposed to superficial) research into the Watchtower's history are given more opportunities to see what is wrong than would otherwise be the case. Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap were well-respected as "scholars" and look what happened to them, while Karl (braindead from birth) Klein remained braindead, er "faithful" to death!

Farkel

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    My point was that those who do serious (as supposed to superficial) research into the Watchtower's history are given more opportunities to see what is wrong than would otherwise be the case. Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap were well-respected as "scholars" and look what happened to them, while Karl (braindead from birth) Klein remained braindead, er "faithful" to death!

Ray Franz did his main research many years before he left the Witnesses. I don't think his defection can be directly attributed to his research. His research on Bible chronology for instance did not prompt him to leave bethel, on the contrary it prompted him to write the chronology section of the Aid book! My reading of CofC is that basically Franz was calling for certain liberal reforms in the organization so that it conformed more closely to his view of what Christianity should be like. His peers did not agree with him, saw him as a threat and conspired to remove him first from bethel, then from the organization altogether.

From Barbara Anderson's story it does not seem that it was any of the historical research that she did into Russell or Rutherford caused her to defect. Rather it was a difference of opinion over the current handling of abuse cases that prompted her departure. In fact I am sure she wrote somewhere that none of the historical research she did on the Watchtower's early history caused her to doubt. I am sure she wrote something like 'I simply put it down to the light getting brigher whenever I came across questionable things in the early literature'.

This confirms to me what I have often suspected: that it is more often than not personal differences that lead to defections from the Witnesses, even at a high level, rather than 'pure' doctrinal issues.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Slim's argument (sorry, haven't figured out how to paste quotes in this new format) is that he wouldn't just "stop believing in the witnesses" and that he'd been reading counter arguments all his life so why would he start buying them now.

If that's a reasonable paraphrase, I hold an opposing view. The path to no longer believing JW doctrine and teachings is a progressive one. Many of us left only after many years, a decade or more, of having nagging doubts. In the end we couldn't quiet them down and so we confronted them head on. In doing so, we were led by conscience to either disassociate or quietly fade away.

It's all speculation at this point, about the German Bethel Heavy, but if he has "resigned" that implies he's done with dubdom. Unless "resign" has a different reading in the German language. I know what it would mean if a U.S. Bethelite used the word.

If you were confronted by an old dub friend and you said you had "retired," that you had put in 30 years and had earned the chance to retire and do some things you never had time to do before your few remaining years were gone, how do you think he'd react?

You don't retire from the Mafia, and you don't resign. Same with the WTS.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I don't want to be a "wet blanket," and I hope as much as any of you that Wrobel might have a new perspective now (and be willing to talk about it), but I'm reminded of the Old Polish Proverb,

"When people hear hoof beats, they think horses, not zebras."

There may be a much more common and mundane reason for his resignation: poor health. I have no clue what the state of his health might be, I'm just offering a little reality-check. Or should that be reality-Czech?

• besty
    besty

if it was an ill-health 'can't work in a gilded cage' resignation, why put up a website with what amounts to a resume (CV) touting for work?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit