Kingdom Hall Weddings - November Kingdom Ministry

by BluesBrother 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• seek2find
    seek2find

The "only kingdom melodies" rule on Music is the sure sign of a cult to me. It reminds me of a piece I seen on TV about Warren Jeffs clan. They could only listen to music he recorded. I remember going to a witness wedding many years ago that had a singer playing acoustic guitar and singing the song "and I love you so" I thought that was so neat. Oh well so much for that. Since I'm df'd now probaly won't be going to any more witness weddings anyway. seek2find

• bennyk
    bennyk

What concerns me most regarding this article is the fallout that will occur where some have decided (or will decide) that they really didn't want the hassle of the Kingdom Hall wedding. The "Rumour-mill" will quickly conclude that they were forbidden (or realized they would be forbidden) to use the Hall because of "conduct unbecoming a Christian"...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My daughter walked down the aisle to a non-kingdom melody - as you can see, this is now a no-no

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I want to barf - but that would be a total waste of perfectly good puke.

HB

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I'm just glad Besty and I got married before this directive came out - we went down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon - I didn't fancy any of the Kingdom Melodies, they just didn't feel that special.

So many rules and regulations now, glad we're away from it all.

• FairMind
    FairMind

My wife and I were denied the "privlege" of being married in a Kongdom Hall and neither of us had ever been told we were not in good standing. It hurt my wife deeply but only angerd me. I believe beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was payback for my having stood up to the Elders when they initially decided I wasn't free to marry. I produced a WT "Question From The Readers" answer that addressed an issue exactly like mine. The Societies answer to the reader's question was that they were free to scripturally marry. This happened 12 years ago and I've been in the WT doghouse ever since.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

Somehow, I always felt that a wedding was out of place in a Kingdom Hall. My daughter made me more aware of that. I did sit on the Service Committee, and did go throught the questions with the prospective bridal couples. Our questions were fair. We made sure that the ones who were going to use the KH would be responsible in their use of it.

My daughter, however chose to have her wedding outdoors with a quartet band. The band was worldly but played some of the Kingdom songs as well as other appropriate music. That band was very cooperative and I certainly appreciated their willingness to conform. They did a fine job. There was a brother that gave the talk, and I got to give her away. That was sure painful.

A kingdom Hall, no matter what the society thinks about it, just doesn't do a marriage justice. The marriage day needs to be upbeat, happy, joyful, not institutional.

But, why get married in the KH? Do yourself a favour and get married in the Carribean, or maybe outdoors, or at some nostalgic place, or someplace nice. Not at a KH.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Nothing really new there

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i used to give wedding talks and perform the vows (and gave funeral talks)

i never once used the outline for any of them. so they were lively and interesting and personalised.

i always met with the couple long before the wedding and told them that i would be asking them nearer the time whether their courtship had been 'honourable' . so i gave them plenty of warning . i said i don't need confessions now but if you are up to anything or you get tempted in the future just remember that i will ask.

some of the people i married are still together

all of the folk i buried are still dead

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My vague memories of the KH weddings were that they were nothing special, it was meant to be that way. Very little fanfare, most weddings people went down the aisle to a song I can't remember, something about pearls and weddings, at the front there may have been a "modest" flower arrangement and the bridal party. I remember invitations being put on the bulletin board, I guess Jehovah changed his mind on that too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit