Kingdom Hall Weddings - November Kingdom Ministry

by BluesBrother 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another prime example of the apostates knowing their material better than the hounders. The hounders cited an article to back up a ban on posting the reception without being specific about which one or showing them the article (which should have immediately resulted in the lifting of that ban), and the apostates immediately find that article.

Perhaps the hounders should spend more time preparing to find and show the source of any ban they issue instead of creating bans on anything that might add a measure of fun to those mechanical processes that they call weddings (or creating a block that might be a "moral impediment" so they can bust up the wedding).

Which leads me to think that "moral impediment" clause is just another tool they have to keep people celibate for life or to take a spouse out from under someone's feet and give it to who they choose, while the would-have-been groom gets stuck at the Value Destroyer Training School.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Why would anyone in they're right mind want to get married in some windowless piece of shit building with flourescent lighting?

• sacolton
    sacolton
    Why would anyone in they're right mind want to get married in some windowless piece of shit building with flourescent lighting?

Why would anyone in their right mind want to get married to someone they haven't boinked first? It's like kicking the tires on a new car. Gotta take it around the block and get the feel of it before you commit. I'm not sure how marriage worked in 4 BC.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They might have been thinking of this:

*** km 1/89 p. 7 Question Box ***Although a brief announcement concerning a wedding scheduled to take place in the Kingdom Hall may be made at one of the meetings, a formal wedding announcement would not be placed on the information board. Neither would it be proper to post announcements about gatherings of a strictly social nature, since these are not related to congregation activities.—See TheWatchtower, April 15, 1984, page 15; KingdomMinistry, June 1975, page 4, and May 1970, page 8.
    *** km 5/70 p. 8 Question Box ***The information board is not to be used for personal items such as "shower" announcements.

People being what they are, I have seen the common way around this.
    The information board is almost always above a counter or a counter is
    nearby- the place where all the service "time" slips are filled out. Instead
    of posting on the board, a card is stood up on the counter. Not technically
    breaking the rules, elders usually remove it and it is replaced periodically
    by the bride or groom or whoever.

If I missed the comment, let me say that the Kingdom Hall is always a
    public meeting place and the entire public (except those specifically banned
    as disturbances) is always welcome at public meetings. I know there are
    several exceptions- CO meeting with elders or pioneers or such meetings,
    but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I can see the future request to video record the entire bedroom scene of the
    honeymoon so the service committee can verify this was really their first time
    'together.'

SKIP THE ENTIRE THING AND HAVE ELVIS MARRY YOU IN VEGAS, BABY.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I don't ever want to be connected permanently to another human again. But if I did, I would have a handfasting ceremony in a Wiccan ritual. Much more beautiful and temporary, if one so wishes. You stay together as long as you want after the year long commitment. That is so much more realistic of a way to do it. It is absolutely legal, too, if done by Wiccan elder. So, if you decide to not stay married, just divorce after the year is over. Easy! There is no bad reputation from getting divorced as the promise is only for a year. There is no obligation to stay together for the sake of god or your reputation. That is the only way I would have it.

I got married in a park with a beautiful fountaine and a judge and family. Lots of sunshine in June

I got divorced and danced in the street!

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

Just when you think there can't be anymore control over the members of the congregation this comes along. I know that is always been like this, but the tone of this article was more direct. "You are planning on getting married, you better start telling about your "moral conduct" because it is my reputation as an elder what's in jeopardy." WHATEVER. I can spit.

• zeb
    zeb

Yep weddings sound so much like the "public talk" I recall one wedding where i whispered to my wife of the elder, "He will be getting out a wt next".

Stuff the kh get married in a beautiful garden.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

My non-JW dad was 'allowed' to give me away. I would have hit the roof if he wasn't.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I remember sitting through an almost 90 min wedding talk. There was whispering and fidgeting and bewildered looks all around. It was tortuous. Plus we were all starved by reception time but it was a potluck type dinner so it was delayed. Happily I do believe their marriage did work out.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

What got me was that we couldn't practice the wedding vows before the wedding because if we said them, we would be married at that time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit