"Life Begins at Rape"- Palin Policy

by SixofNine 82 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I suppose that when most of us who are fortunate not to have been the victim of sexual assault hear the word "rape kit", we tend to think of it specifically in terms of forensic analysis and examination--DNA collection, trauma, that whole sort of thing.

But rape kits also contain...emergency contraception.

To quote from an Alaska blogger who has provided a firsthand account of the aftermath of a sexual assault in Wasilla:

I sat with a rape victim during the "harvesting of evidence". Mascara smeared eyes stared blankly out from a cave of shame. "We've got swimmers," announced the forensic tech in the lab next door. My friend didn't look surprised. In her 60's, she was still asked if she felt the need for emergency contraception. Surviving the process would have only been compounded and made worse with an itemized bill; victimized twice courtesy of Sarah Palin and the city of Wasilla.

Our dirty secret had to do with a woman's right to be safe from rapists. This right to choose was not only threatened, but abolished with Sarah Palin's archaic policy as Mayor of Wasilla. The rape kit included emergency contraception. To be sure, emergency contraception is not, nor does it cause an abortion. In fact, ec prevents pregnancy and therefore reduces abortions.

Under Palin's Administration, "Life Begins at Rape" for women unable to pay for their forensic evidence gathering. Justice is served to women who can afford it and denied for those who can't. I live in Alaska-the wealthiest of the 50 states! Forcing rape victims to pay for their own forensic rape kits is something one would expect to find in a fundamentalist country overseas. I have outrage fatigue. I can't decide which facet of this policy is more upsetting. Is it the denial of justice for the poor? Is it the punishment of women who had been raped? Is it the political policies of a woman so entrenched in the "Pro-Life" movement she would deny justice to a victim? This is not a "Pro-Life" policy. This is a "Pro-Rapist" policy, and forced pregnancy policy.

It should be noted Joe Biden introduced legislation to fund rape kits to women in America. John McCain voted against it.

The rape kits that Sarah Palin had a direct role in forcing women to pay for contained emergency contraception.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/9/16/74332/5282

UPDATE

Moore cites an amazing piece of information.
    Stop rape by banning the sale of a doll?

Under the Palin Administration, a law was passed that specifically deals with rapists. I am not making this up. It is now illegal for Alaskans to buy or sell the "Rapist No. 1" doll. Oh, you haven't heard of it? It's an "action figure" from Quentin Tarantino's film "Grindhouse." Yes, really. So now if you're raped, you can take comfort in knowing Alaska outlawed an action figure.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/9/16/74332/5282
  • beksbks
    beksbks

I really want to know the opinion of our Christian friends on this one. The whole thing. I find it heartless.

• dawg
    dawg

"Christian friends"? You mean Republicans which are one and the same???? they're not friends, they're clearly enemies.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I can admit, I'm not a christain. But I have worked the ER for many years.

I doubt there are many rape victims that can afford to pay for the "contraception" on their own. That shouldn't even have to cross their minds at that point. I feel that's why I pay taxes.

That just pisses me off.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Same old scare tactics used before every election, by both parties. Nothing to see here.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"Same old scare tactics used before every election, by both parties. Nothing to see here."

What are you saying? It doesn't matter what the past policy history of of a candidate is?

What "scare tactic" are you talking about? The fear that so-called pro lifers would try to criminalize abortion, and prevent women from getting rid of the splooge critters of even rapist? That's a very reasonable fear as it is the stated cause of many people in the Republican party.

I think you may be just another dumbass, from your comments on political threads around here. Prove me wrong, or ___ ___ ____ ___ __ __ ____.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

More ad hominem attacks? Nice.

Scare tactics currently being used by Republicans: "Obama will take away your guns, and raise the price of ammo by 300%. He's a Muslim, a sleeper agent."

Scare tactics currently being used by Democrats: "Sarah Palin will force women to carry unwanted pregnancies to full term and charge them for their rape kit."

Specifically, regarding the rape kit issue, Palin's spokesperson has said she was never in favor of this policy. I'm not clear on why she didn't stop the practice. More info, below, but it's not exactly clear.

http://townhall.com/Columnists/AmandaCarpenter/2008/09/11/the_palin_rape_kit_myth?page=full&comments=true

Conservatives are calling the story a 'myth', yet the article doesn't exactly paint Palin in the best light, on the topic.

I'm not interested in proving you wrong. I'm interested in the truth, not sensational stories.

Regarding abortion, I've never met anyone who thinks outlawing abortion will ever happen in this country. A reversal of Roe vs. Wade would give States the power to decide. More than a dozen states would retain legal abortion. People would then vote with their feet, as they already do on other issues such as guns, gay marriage, taxes, etc, by moving to a state that suited their views.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Regarding these 'bills' for the kits. Is this in connection with an emergency room visit? I'm asking, because I work at a hospital.

People regularly come into the ER, receive tens of thousands of dollars of treatment, and sure, they GET a bill. But many people never pay a dime. They don't have to. Nobody is forced to pay anything.

So, was payment being demanded before these kits were made available, or is the story the PRINCIPLE or victimizing the woman twice, by insulting her with a bill for the kit?

• beksbks
    beksbks
    or is the story the PRINCIPLE or victimizing the woman twice, by insulting her with a bill for the kit?

Isn't that enough?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It may very well be enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit