"Life Begins at Rape"- Palin Policy

by SixofNine 82 Replies latest jw friends

• still-fading
    still-fading

You guys are like a couple weeks late. The rape kit myth has already been debunked. Ya just have to Google it. ONTO THE NEXT INVENTED SCANDAL!!!

• StAnn
    StAnn

I would like to know a few things:

How long was this policy in place? Who started it and why? Did she inherit it or did it start on her watch?

As Mayor, did she have the authority to change this on her own? I know she signed off on the budget from the police department and that budget didn't include the rape kits. But was this something that needed the backing/approval of city council to get started and/or stopped?

If you believe that pregnancy begins at conception (NOT implantation), emergency contraception becomes an abortifacient, and it is illegal to use taxpayer dollars for abortion. Did the City believe it could not use taxpayer dollars for the rape kits because they contained an abortifacient? Is there any way they could have separated out the abortifacient from the rest of the rape kit and only billed insurance or the victim for the abortifacient medicine while the city paid for the forensic evidence gathering?

Who decided that abortifacients had to be part of the rape kits purchased by municipalities? Don't all hospitals have pharmacies? Couldn't they just have the ER doctor prescribe it if the victim wanted it and have the hospital pharmacy provide it? Isn't it the police departments job only to investigate the crime, not make medication available?

Why doesn't Planned Parenthood offer to provide these medications out of their budget as a public service?

BTW, I'm a firm believer in billing the insurance company whenever possible. If someone is attacked, for instance, and requires medical treatment at a hospital, including forensic evidence gathering, that person's insurance company will be billed. We don't question that. From a technical standpoint, why should rape be different? Both victims are victims of violent crime.

I'm not saying I like this. I just want all of the details before I come to a hard and fast conclusion.

StAnn

• beksbks
    beksbks

You seem to be about 8 years late Still fading. Here is an article from the Mat Su Valley Frontiersman from May of 2000. Debunk away.

Palin was Mayor at the time. She was also smack dab in the middle of this hocky rink fiasco.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122065537792905483.html

• still-fading
    still-fading

The rape kit myth link is in a post by leavingwt above. Oh, and the town put a road down without having all the t's crossed and i's dotted, opps. You would think the Obama hit team of lawyers and investigators he sent up there would find something juicier!! I mean he's paying these guys GOOD money! I'd ask for a refund.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Good grief dude. A) you need to read the article. No where does it debunk the "myth" it just gets indignant and uses the word myth. I've seen this same article sited in every post that talks about debunking. And B) that little matter of dotting i's and crossing t's, cost Wasila (a town of under 9000 people) over 1 million dollars. That's just for the litigation. Obama doesn't have to send a team, that huge popularity that Palin enjoyed as Governor, isn't so huge.

You need to read the article sited in the thread "There's No Arguing with Conservatives".

• still-fading
    still-fading

"Obama doesn't have to send a team, that huge popularity that Palin enjoyed as Governor, isn't so huge.

You need to read the article sited in the thread "There's No Arguing with Conservatives"."

If he doesn't have to, why did he?? And the rape kits, let's use a little common sense. Don't you think that if there was anything to the story it would get a whole lot more traction in the press? The only ones that believe it are the tin foil hat wearing cool aid drinkers that take the Huffington post as gospel.

• dawg
    dawg

And what? Did you guys finally figure out that you can't show a conservative the facts and gave up? I know I did.... LOL

• dawg
    dawg

Oh, once again we see the truth... when dealing with all those on the right, the facts e damned...

"While some of their complaints have already been aired, Knowles broke new ground while answering a reporter’s question on whether Wasilla forced rape victims to pay for their own forensic tests when Palin was mayor.

True, Knowles said.

Eight years ago, complaints about charging rape victims for medical exams in Wasilla prompted the Alaska Legislature to pass a bill -- signed into law by Knowles -- that banned the practice statewide.

"There was one town in Alaska that was charging victims for this, and that was Wasilla," Knowles said

A May 23, 2000, article in Wasilla’s newspaper, The Frontiersman, noted that Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies regularly pay for such exams, which cost between $300 and $1,200 apiece.

"(But) the Wasilla police department does charge the victims of sexual assault for the tests," the newspaper reported".

And this....

"It also quoted Wasilla Police Chief Charlie Fannon objecting to the law. Fannon was appointed to his position by Palin after her dismissal of the previous police chief. He said it would cost Wasilla $5,000 to $14,000 a year if the city had to foot the bill for rape exams.

"In the past we’ve charged the cost of exams to the victims’ insurance company when possible," Fannon told the newspaper. "I just don’t want to see any more burden put on the taxpayer."

This came from the Boston Herald....

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?&articleid=1118416&format=&page=2&listingType=2008pres#articleFull

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Good grief dude

Hey beks....cut him some slack....I think he skipped out from middle school today to stay home and play on the computer until his mother comes home to make him dinner ...she hid his play station on him ....sw

• beksbks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit