Is there a Christian message without the element of fear/perceived threat?

by nvrgnbk 133 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

Is a landlord considered evil, heartless or cruel because if you don't clean up the place

you will be evicted. Whose property is the earth anyway ? Is this a threat by God or

rightful protection of his building and comfort for the rest of his tenants ?

I think the key word here is perceived threat( I perceive it as right and just )

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, Deut. 31:19

Respect the Landlord and all will go well ! Choose to look after the property...

Caliber

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Is a landlord considered evil, heartless or cruel because if you don't clean up the place

you will be evicted. Whose property is the earth anyway ? Is this a threat by God or

rightful protection of his building and comfort for the rest of his tenants ?

I think the key word here is perceived threat( I perceive it as right and just )

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death , the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, Deut. 31:19

Respect the Landlord and all will go well ! Choose to look after the property...

I love this analogy!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

At least you don't feel angry about it, sweetstuff.

Nope, not angry at all, just matter of fact, lol.

• Kerberos
    Kerberos

Now, I don't post here often as you can see, however as someone who left the JW's and then "converted" to Christianity, I thought I might add a few things here: The original question was if there is a Christian message without the element of fear/threat? Yes, it is what the Gospels teach. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is to love God and then the second is to love your neighbour. The message of love was what Jesus preached. "isn't the belief all about escaping God's violent wrath". No, it's about escaping the current state of sin that all people are in, and coming into communion with God. God isn't some egomaniac that needs to be worshiped. The reason people should worship is because of what God has done for us. We are in a state of sin, Jesus suffered as a human and bore our sins for us, so that we would be sinless in God's eyes. The reward for belief in Jesus sacrifice is communion with God. I can't argue that atrocities have been committed in the name of Christ, but nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus ever teach that line of thought. If you doubt me, I would love to see some actual Biblical references in your response. We can all point fingers at the bad works MEN have done in the name of Christ, but those actions of MEN do not nullify that saving message of Jesus. Having done A LOT of investigation in to Christianity and the message Jesus preached, I can say that the distorted view the JW's preach is absolutely disgusting. It isn't even close to the message Jesus preached.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Having done A LOT of investigation in to Christianity and the message Jesus preached, I can say that the distorted view the JW's preach is absolutely disgusting. It isn't even close to the message Jesus preached.

HALLELUJAH!!!

Sylvia

• caliber
    caliber
    I can't argue that atrocities have been committed in the name of Christ, but nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus ever teach that line of thought. If you doubt me, I would love to see some actual Biblical references in your response. We can all point fingers at the bad works MEN have done in the nameof Christ, but those actions of MEN do not nullify that saving message of Jesus. Having done A LOT of investigation in to Christianity and the message Jesus preached, I can say that the distorted view the JW's preach is absolutely disgusting. It isn't even close to the message Jesus

I agree readily with these words above. Choose to see all things from the perspective of God.

Let the wicked forsake His way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return to the Lord; and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon. For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." (Isa. 55:7-ff).

Caliber

• trevor
    trevor

This subject has been thrashed out so many times. No one can be sure exactly what Christianity is until those embracing Christianity can decide among themselves whether or not they accept the Bible as the Word of God. When questioned they are as slippery as eels.

Until there is a consensus we will have a fragmented religion that argues more about what Christianity is than outsiders do.

Personally I no longer give a flying fig-leaf what people believe or do as long as it gets them through the night and they don't want me to do it with them.

• changeling
    changeling

A church I pass everyday on the way home has a sign that says:

"If you can't take the heat, take steps to stay out of the fire". Warm and friendly, don't you think?

changeling :)

• changeling
    changeling

Caliber: your landlord evicting bad tenants analogy does not work for me.

A tenant enters voluntarily into a contract with his landlord. He knows up front what the tenancy requires. He agrees to pay the rent and to care for the property. If he breaks the rules of the contract the landlord is entitled to evict and or collect money for damages. Again, this arrangement is entered into voluntarily and both parties know the rules up front.

The relationship humans have with a supposed creator is unilateral and imposed upon them w/o their consent. They are born on this planet w/o asking to be and then their creator/god expects them to worship him and abide by his rules or else. Not a fair deal. Which is one reason why I do not believe in god and even if he exists do not consider him worthy of worship.

changeling :)

• JK666
    JK666

How profound!

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit