Is there a Christian message without the element of fear/perceived threat?

by nvrgnbk 133 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

"dear AGuest...

I totally agree with you as far as this...

"We mess up when we overshadow the joy of the GOOD news... with the "old" message of death... and destruction. THIS is the message of our Adversary, NOT the Christ. By using FEAR... he, Satan, eventually turns people AWAY from God and Christ... not toward them. And THAT is his focus: to lead us away from God... so as to lead us away from Christ... so as to lead us away... from the Tree of Life... so that we may NOT eat and live forever. His goal is to lead us away from everlasting life... and he uses fear to do it....."

but...Jude 23 ...cuz...i want my friends to have LIFE in the kingdom...

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest...

How do we know which sayings are rightly attributed to him?

"Ummmm... ask him? Works for me. Every time."...

ummm...IS IT WRITTEN?...Psalm 119:105, Proverbs 30:5, Isaiah 40:8, Isaiah 55:11, Luke 8:11, C, John 14:24, John 17:17, Epshesians 5:26, Philippians 2:16, Hebrews 4:12, James 1:21, 1 Peter 1:23, 1 John 2:5

John 17:17, Luke 8:11, Hebrews 4:12, 1 Peter 1:23...how many times did Jesus say or ask is is not WRITTEN?...at this time no one should automatically believe the spirit of the air......Revelation 13:13...he performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men... BUT you can believe that which is written in the Word of God, the Bible.

love michelle

• AGuest
    AGuest
    BUT you can believe that which is written in the Word of God, the Bible

OR... you can simply ASK the Word of God:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1

And the Word was made flesh... John 1:14

And he [was] clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. Revelation 19:13

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy wordis truth. John 17:17

Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctifythe people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Hebrews 13:12

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32

And thisis life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Christ, whom thou hast sent. John 17:3

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be freeindeed. John 8:36

This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. Matthew 17:5

This is my beloved Son: hear him. Luke 9:35

The sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. John 10:3

He goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. John 10:4

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:27

For the word of God is ALIVE. Hebrews 4:12

And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was ALIVE. Luke 24:23

If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. John 7:37

Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. John 4:10

whosoever drinketh of the water that Ishall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. John 4:14

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

For ONE is your Master, Christ. Matthew 23:10

Which, again, works for me.

I bid you peace.

SA, a slave of Christ who really doesn't quite understand why folks who claim that they want to know God... go to the Bible to do so... given all that the Bible says about WHO it is we are to LISTEN to... and GO through... and COME to... in order to do so. Folks really need to ask themselves... if they TRULY have faith... why IS this? WHY the need to SEE it... "in writing"... rather than HEARING the SPIRIT... which is walking by SIGHT... and NOT by faith. Ah, well...

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest...

"SA, a slave of Christ who really doesn't quite understand why folks who claim that they want to know God... go to the Bible to do so... given all that the Bible says about WHO it is we are to LISTEN to... and GO through... and COME to... in order to do so. Folks really need to ask themselves... if they TRULY have faith... why IS this? WHY the need to SEE it... "in writing"... rather than HEARING the SPIRIT... which is walking by SIGHT... and NOT by faith. Ah, well..."

I'm sorry to poke holes in your assumptions but...not everyone who wants to know God want's to hear what God has to say...remember that for every friend that Jesus made He also made an enemy.

Which is why it IS important to go to the written Word (which is not "less true" than the Word that became flesh)...did you know that when mormons ask a prospective initiate to read the book of mormon, they then suggest you pray about it and ask God to reveal if, in fact, it is the truth...and a sure sign that it is, they claim, is a "burning bosom"...don't you think that is a clever way to deceive people...to ask them to rely on their "feelings" towards what is written?...indeed Satan will work with it!

love michelle

p.s. could be that in their picking and choosing, the mormons wrench that doctrine out of luke's account of the two disciples that were "walking with the Lord" on their way to emmaus...

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I'm sorry to poke holes in your assumptions but...not everyone who wants to know God want's to hear what God has to say...remember that for every friend that Jesus made He also made an enemy.

Peace to you, dear Michelle!

I am not sure I understand this reasoning. How can someone say they want to know someone else... and not want to hear what they have to say? Isn't that a contradiction? Can you truly say you truly know anyone... and yet, have never heard what they themselves have to say? True, you can want to know of someone... and not give a hoot as to what they have to say. But that was not what my comment was about. I am speaking about KNOWING God and Christ. Literally. Personally. Directly. For yourself. Truly. Not knowing of/about them because someone told you of/about them. Them: who they are, what they think (well, Christ), how they think... what they like/want/don't like/don't want... and what they have to say. The WTBTS and others teach that everlasting life resultings from "taking in knowledge of" or "knowing about"... or "coming to know of"... God and Christ. This is a lie.

Which is why it IS important to go to the written Word (which is not "less true" than the Word that became flesh)...

I'm sorry, but I must vehemently disagree. First, the only "written" word... would be the scriptures... which the Bible is not. True, the Bible contains some scripture; it also contains other writings that are not scripture. Nor does it contain all scripture. I know, I know... Paul said, "All scripture is inspired and beneficial..." but there is some debate as to whether that is exactly what Paul said (i.e., some believe he said, "All inspired scripture is beneficial..." denoting that some "scripture" is NOT inspired (before you gasp, perhaps you'll allow yourself to remember the admonition in the Bible that says, "test... the inspired expressed... because not ALL inspired expressions originate with God."

But more than that, the Bible wasn't even compiled when Paul said all scripture was inspired: it wasn't compiled until close to 400 years later. AND... what was compiled... the final Bible canon... doesn't even contain all of the "books." I ask you: what happened to the Book of Enoch? Book of Jashur? Both of these are mentioned in the Bible. Yet, they weren't included. Why? What about Paul's first letter to the Corinthians? If the latter two were included because they were "inspired," why wasn't the first (inspired and included)?

What about Luke's accounts, both his gospel and the Acts? Who did he say "inspired" him? He didn't. He never said the Holy Spirit or God told him to write. He said he received what he did from people who were there... not from God. And he acknowledged that it was not God who directed him to write, but... Theophilus... the man who hired him to do so!

And what does it mean to be "inspired"? Surely, that's important to know, isn't it, if "all scripture" is "inspired"?

And what about what the Bible itself says (as recording my Lord) at John 5:39, 40?

"You are searching the scriptures because you think that by means of them you will have everlasting life. And these are the very ones that bear witness about me; and yet, you do not want to come... to ME... that you might have life."

And please, do not go the KJV for these verses. If you don't trust a more modern Bible version, then, please, at least go back to the Greek. Otherwise, you're reading verses that have been completely mistransliterated.

Dear Michelle, I personally cannot put my faith in something that it itself says I am not to. The Bible tells us who to put our faith in. It tells us who to listen to. It tells us who to follow. And it tells us how to put such faith, to listen, to follow. It also tells us that the Son of God is the Word of God.

And nowhere... NOWHERE... does the Bible say it is God's Word. NO... WHERE. But... it does tell us about that Word... in several places... including that that Word... is ALIVE.

It is not a "feeling," it is a reality. For me to keep searching through a document, a map (albeit a pretty long one), therefore, when I have found the thing hoped for... the thing searched for... when I asked ... and received... when I sought ... and found... when I knocked... and it was opened to me... then that would be a total lack of faith... and common sense.

I asked for the Truth, and he came and revealed himself to me. I sought Life, and I found him. Rather, I was found by him. I knocked on the Door... and he, the "Narrow Gate," opened to me... and entered. I have FOUND the Way, the Truth... the Life... he that is the Word of God. Why in the world would I still be consulting some book? But this doesn't have to be true for only me.

I do not mean to offend, dear Michelle, but I have learned the meaning of the words of the Most Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, when He said KISS... THE SON. Not kiss... the Bible.

I bid you the greatest of love and peace.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• caliber
    caliber

There are only a handful of such sayings attributed to Jesus and they contradict everything he did and stood for. Jesus condemened high control tactics as a rule. He did not condemn the Samaritan Woman.

It is surely true......... that actions speak louder than words ! But also love has more power than force !

Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded his empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for him. ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Caliber

• caliber
    caliber

All organized elements of the world use a fear base....which means that in the creation

of this fear you must " divide and conquer". The goal of creating a central world power (money power base)

Benefits to the few.. slavery for the masses.The power of love is the only hope to save mankind and the whole planet

from extinction. " The power of love must overcome the love of power " Fear and love are the greatest opposites

Caliber

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest... "I am not sure I understand this reasoning. How can someone say they want to know someone else... and not want to hear what they have to say? Isn't that a contradiction?"... When God is speaking to fallen creatures and He says..."come now, let us reason together."...where do you think He wants us to meet Him to reason things out? do you think that the Holy Spirit was partially involved or wholly involved in the writing and compilation of the Book that God wants us to read to learn of our eternal salvation?...have you decided what parts of the Bible are more alive than others...or would you leave that up to THE Holy Spirit to decide?...when you "vehemently deny" parts of the Bible, are you saying that God didn't have the power/foresight to control what constituted His written Word?... it sounds like "your voice" is advocating chucking the Bible/written Word (once you get the jist of it, apparently)...consider the consequences of those that follow your course who are not well grounded in the Scriptures...how many different "voices" could people follow?... I'll answer your opening question with another question...would they naturally prefer being put under the microscope or not? (hebrews 4:12) love michelle p.s. that scripture: hebrews 4:12, may be particularily significant to those who's only purpose in reading the scriptures IS to find inconsistencies etc....

• AGuest
    AGuest
    When God is speaking to fallen creatures and He says..."come now, let us reason together."...where do you think He wants us to meet Him to reason things out?

Inside His temple, of course. That is where one must go in order to make an "offering" (i.e., prayer) to God. In fact, we must go before the "Ark" of our [individual] covenant with God... which is in the "Most Holy." Previously, only the high priest could enter into the Most Holy and before the ark of the covenant. Now... ANY can enter... so long as they trasncend the "curtain" that is the flesh... and go through the "door" that is Christ. Alternatively, they can make request of the TRUE High Priest... Christ... and ask him to intervene on such one's behalf. But it would be inside the temple that one would go to reason things out with the Most Holy One of Israel... through prayer. In turn, He speaks to such one through His Word, Christ.

do you think that the Holy Spirit was partially involved or wholly involved in the writing and compilation of the Book that God wants us to read to learn of our eternal salvation?

There are a few things I must address here: First, there is no "Book" that God "wants us to read." Prior to Christ, God spoke to His people "by means of the Prophets." These wrote "scripture," some of which was later canonized into what you know as "the Bible," which is a compilation of many "books," including "scripture." But what is "scripture"? It is what results when: 1. God transforms the writer into spirit, by means of His holy spirit. Thus, such ones are "inspire" (pronounced "in speeray") or "in spiritu". Meaning, IN SPIRIT. Which is how the Prophets were able to see and hear what they did, so as to be able TO write. Revelation 4:2 2. God directs the one to write and then, by means of holy spirit, helps them do so. Revelation 1:11 Therefore, at the time of Christ's physical presence on earth, "scripture" included ONLY "Moses, the Psalms and the Prophets." Which is why the Bible only includes these when reporting how my Lord "opened up the Scriptures" to his disciples. (Luke 24:27, 45). Note, there was NO mention of the Chronicles, or Kings, or Job... or Proverbs. Since my Lord's physical presence, the ONLY "scripture" written and included in the Bible is the revelation given to John (Revelation 1:11, 19)... and John's gospel account, which he received and was told to write at the same time. (Revelation 1:19; 2 Corinthans 12:2-4). Second, God does not want us to learn of our eternal salvation through a book. And nowhere does the Bible say He does. The Bible SAYS He wants us to learn of our eternal salvation through the One who can grant it, His Son, Christ, the Holy Spirit: "But the helper, the Holy Spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you ALL things and bring back to your minds ALL the things I told you." John 14:26 "Now, the Lord... IS the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:17 "If you had known the free gift of God and who it is that says to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked HIM... and HE would have given you... living water. Whoever drinks from the water that I will give him... will NEVER get thirsty... at all... but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water bubbling up... to impart everlasting life." John 4:10, 14 "And as for you, the anointing... that you received from HIM... remains in you... and you do not need anyone to be teaching you; but, as the anointing from him is teaching you about ALL things... and is TRUE... and is NO lie... and just as it has taught you... remain in union with him." 1 John 2:27 Third, that Son... NEVER turned God's people to the "scriptures." The ONLY people he quoted scripture to... where the Jews lacking faith... those who needed to "see it in writing." In fact, he CONDEMNED those whose task it was to write/copy the scriptures. Do you not recall that he said "Woe to you... SCRIBES... and Pharisees"? Even called them "offspring of vipers"? Why? Because the scriptures had been tampered with. It was prophesied they were and would be. Jeremiah 8:8; Matthew 23:13, 15, 23, 25, 27, 29 The teaching that we should look to the scriptures came from Paul... and was the cause of the turmoil between him and the 12... due to what occurred with the Corinthian congregation. There, Paul used the scriptures to judge a man and convince the congregation to throw him out. This caused a GREAT division... because the APOSTLES who walked with Christ (of which Paul was NOT)... had learned FROM Christ himself... to NOT judge... but to forgive. They tried to tell Paul this, and he called them "superfine" apostles. And so, the Corinthian congregation expirienced a great division, one that almost annihilated the congregation, because there were those who did what Paul said, and those who disagreed with it. Paul later CHANGED his position, however, after coming to understand the TRUE gift of mercy and forgiveness, so that he subsequently admonished the congregation to forgive the man (as he should have to begin with)... stating that the reproach of the congregation was "sufficient" for him and that they should welcome him back. Praise JAH, no permanent damage what done; however, the rift between him and the 12 lasted... 14 years!! Why did Paul teach a return to the "scriptures"? Because did not yet fully know the Son; he was NOT chosen because he was "zealous." He was chosen because he had a bloodguilt he needed to "atone" for: he had been instrumental in having many christians put to death. In order to help him repent... and save HIS prospect for eternal life... Christ was going to "show him all the things he must SUFFER... for [Christ's] sake. But the 12 NEVER taught a return to the scriptures... but taught that it was the anointing and HOLY SPIRIT... that was to teach us. Just as my Lord himself taught them. John 20:22, 23; Acts 3:6; Acts 8:18; Acts 19:2-6

...have you decided what parts of the Bible are more alive than others...

The Bible... is not alive, dear Michelle. It is a book... of books... an inaminate object made of paper and other materials. It is God's Word... Christ... who is alive.

or would you leave that up to THE Holy Spirit to decide?

The Holy Spirit, my Lord, has revealed to me what is "scripture"... and what is not. And that "scripture"... is for the UNBELIEVER... those who do not yet have the Law (of Christ) written... on their hearts. Like ancient Israel and its golden calf, these need something PHYSICAL to worship... something they can SEE... in order to "exercise" faith. They are not yet able to worship God... IN SPIRIT... and in truth!

when you "vehemently deny" parts of the Bible, are you saying that God didn't have the power/foresight to control what constituted His written Word?...

I ask you, dear Michelle... show me, please... where the Bible says that God constituted it as His Word... written or otherwise. You will not find it. You believe this only because you have been told... by earthling man... that it is so. You have not, however, checked it out for yourself. You believe it, therefore... blindly. And it is the blind... that led you to do so.

it sounds like "your voice" is advocating chucking the Bible/written Word (once you get the jist of it, apparently)...

While it is not my voice, but the voice of my Lord, the Word of God, I would say that this is absolutely true. Let me give you an example: certainly, you would agree that those books credited to "Moses" are "scripture." Certainly, the Bible includes them as such. Now, let me share with you something Paul (in whom you and so many others put great faith) is credited with writing. My commentary will be in black: "Therefore, as we have such a hope, we are using great freeness of speech and NOT doing as when Moses would put upon his face that the sons of Israel might NOT gaze intently at that which was to be done away with (i.e., the Law Covenant). But their (i.e., the sons of Israel) mental powers (or powers of discernment) were dulled. For to this present day... the same veil remains... UNLIFTED... AT THE READING OF THE OLD COVENANT, because IT (the Old Covenant) IS DONE AWAY WITH... by means of CHRIST. But in fact... down to this day... whenever Moses IS read... a VEIL... lies upon their hearts (and so, God's glory cannot be seen!) BUT... when there is a turning to the LORD... the VEIL... IS TAKEN AWAY" (and the glory of God... is revealed! What is that glory? The SON!) Corinthians 3:12-16 But let's not stop there, because it did not go well with the Israelites, this veil. You see, the reason Moses even HAD a veil was because the sons of Israel rejected their opportunity to see God's glory for themselves. How so? Well, God was actually going to come down and speak with them all, directly. And so, He had Moses congregate the people at the base of Mt. Sinai; however, He gave an instruction that no one, not even an animal, could touch the mountain. As He started to descend, however, the people became so frightened... so UNFAITHFUL... that they began to shake and cry. What happened next is unbelievable: they said, "Oh no, WE don't want to see and hear the True God. So, Moses, tell you what: YOU go up and get whatever message God has for us... and then bring it back down to us. And we'll wait here." That is HOW Moses became their "mediator." God did not choose him to do so; Israel forced him to. And so, Moses went up, saw God's glory, got the Law... and came back down. Twice. So what? So, let's see what the BIBLE has to say about that (again, with my comments in black): "For YOU (those who belong to Christ) have NOTapproached that which can be FELT and that which has been set aflame with fire, and a dark cloud and thick darkness and a tempest, and the blare of a trumpet and the voice of WORDS (all of which occurred as the Most Holy One of Israel was preparing to descend), which voice the people implored that no word should be added to them (so, you go for us, Moses). For the command was not bearable to them, "And if a beast touches the mountain, it must be stoned' (they couldn't handle that directive!). Also, the display was SO fearsome that (even) Moses said, 'I am fearful and trembling.'" "But YOU (those who belong to Christ) have approached a Mount ZION (as opposed to Mt. Sinai!) and a city of the LIVING God, heavenly Jerusalem, and myriads of angels in general assembly, and the congregation of the firstborn (those who belong to Christ, as opposed to the "congregation" of Israel) who have been enrolled in the heavens, and God... the Judge of all... and the spiritual lives of righteous ones who have been made perfect, and JAHESHUA the mediator of a NEW covenant, and the blood of sprinkling, which speaks in a BETTER way than Abel's. See that YOU... DO NOT BEG OFFfrom him... WHO IS SPEAKING. For if they did not escape who begged off from him who was giving divine warning UPON EARTH... much MORE... shall WE not... IF WE TURN AWAY... FROM HIM WHO SPEAKS...FROM THE HEAVENS. Hebrews 12:18-25

consider the consequences of those that follow your course who are not well grounded in the Scriptures...how many different "voices" could people follow?...

Depends... on who they belong to, who their Shepherd is. If it is Christ, then they will follow only ONE voice, because his is the ONLY one they know. John 10:5

I'll answer your opening question with another question...would they naturally prefer being put under the microscope or not? (hebrews 4:12)

He that has nothing to hide... hides nothing.

love michelle

The greatest of love and peace to you, too, dear Michelle, truly! YOUR servant, as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with, SA

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest...

put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemings of the devil...therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand...ephesians 6:11, 13...and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword OF the Spirit, which IS the word of God...ephesians 6:17

“ Come now, and let us reason together,”
    Says the LORD, (in the temple?)

“ Though your sins are like scarlet,
    They shall be as white as snow;
    Though they are red like crimson,
    They shall be as wool.

If you are willing and obedient, (to the Spirit?)
    You shall eat the good of the land;

But if you refuse and rebel, (against the Spirit?)
    You shall be devoured by the sword”;
    For the mouth of the LORD has spoken. isaiah 1:18-20

this doesn't make sense to me if..."Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?...if anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple are you? 1 corinthians 2:16-17...would one destroy the temple by refusing and rebeling against the Spirit, and the word would devour him? or would one destroy the temple by refusing and rebeling against the temple and the sword would devour him?...I'm not kidding, it doesn't make sense to me...unless I read it as reasoning together "in the scriptures"...being willing and obedient "to the scriptures'...or refusing and rebeling "against the scriptures"...and then those same scriptures would be your "undoing"...so to speak...

love michelle

p.s. those same scriptures/words/swords, will be beaten into plowshares to cultivate...so as to eat the good of the land...that just makes more sense to me and even sticks with the same "subject" in the verses in isaiah 1:18-20...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit