Is there a Christian message without the element of fear/perceived threat?

by nvrgnbk 133 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

So many Christians highlight love and mercy as the main point of their religion.

That's undeniably appealing.

But is it true to Christianity?

In the end, isn't the belief all about escaping God's violent wrath?

Aren't those that are unable to accept the system's contradictions and absurdities promised suffering and eventual destruction as punishment for their disbelief?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Don't forget the carrot! The big reward!

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is ironic that Pastor Russell railed for most of his life against the churches for teaching hell-fire, and then started a religion which teaches the biggest hell-fire scare tactic of them all - 6 billion people at once.

• Clam
    Clam

Nvr - Do you think the "Don't knows" should be let off with a caution?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nvr - Do you think the "Don't knows" should be let off with a caution?

Seems reasonable.

Where you been, Clam?

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

So many Christians highlight love and mercy as the main point of their religion.

That's undeniably appealing.

But is it true to Christianity?

From everything I have read and studied, this is not what was preached by the Apostles. They preached a simple message consisting of two parts. Part 1 - repent, and part 2 - believe on Jesus Christ. Modern Christian evangelism seems to have ignored the "repent" part, and focused soley on the "believe" part. I do not know whether it is "true" Christianity. However I do believe that it is not a complete message.

In the end, isn't the belief all about escaping God's violent wrath?

Yes. Is there a problem with that?

Aren't those that are unable to accept the system's contradictions and absurdities promised suffering and eventual destruction as punishment for their disbelief?

A person's eternal destiny is not relegated to getting a theological question right or wrong. I realize that many may have that idea based on the flawed evangelism of sincere Christians, but that is not Biblical. Biblically, the right to enter God's kingdom is based not on what you have done, but on what God did for you by giving His life in your stead in order to pay the penalty for your sin, and whether or not you believe in this payment enough to accept it.

I am not sure if this is clear. I would be glad to expand further if needed.

• Clam
    Clam

Hi Nvr,

Been giving my head a rest from JW things, but like Lot's other half I've turned around to have one more look.

Good to see you again.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

XJW4EVR, your answers were clear and in agreement with my understanding of the main teaching of Christianity- salvation from God's wrath.

• BFD
    BFD

Pass the salt! Hi, Clam.

BFD

• Clam
    Clam

Hiya BFD!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit