Ask Happy Homemaker!

by compound complex 337 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Dear HH,

I'm confused. (As usual!)

One method you suggest is with a hair dryer, dry heat. The other is with a steam iron, wet heat.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's heat?

Thanks in advance for you kind attention.

Dag

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I don't want to put kitty down - I mean diss her for her naughty contretemps in the living room - but her shredding my new sofa is getting to hubby, and quite frankly, me too. An occasional soiling here and, perhaps, over there, is causing no little vexation over the little vixen's faux pas.

Can I teach little Mindy a lesson she'll never forget (short of throttling her, naturellement)?

Thank you.

Mariah Wind

Dear Mariah,

At the scene of dubious deposits or divan dismemberment leave slices of onion in a dish - or two ... The pungence of said bulbous reeker shall cause Miss Mindy to turn up her teensy sniffer and beat a retreat that, I daresay, should be most hasty indeed, indeed!

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

utdhfjzr gddfnvsgsarfSADSDFVSA JBLBGLHBLHJ UHGFVGH JFG TEYTWE JUUF JVGM, KKG

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

GYKDFB UYGBVH UUHJUGH UGHJKGV GHTGFDKFDSDF TDGXMSTAY utr8ueuiuttr

• compound complex
    compound complex

utdhfjzr gddfnvsgsarfSADSDFVSA JBLBGLHBLHJ UHGFVGH JFG TEYTWE JUUF JVGM, KKG Dear Happy Homemaker, Under the divan he found Jerry Zachais' records. Gone decades, Daniel's find now vouchsafed guaranteed security after refusing failure. Sorrowful and distraught, Sally, Daniel's favorite visitor, sought asylum. Just before Larry brought Gale Larson her Bible, Larry had jumped, under huge gravtitational force, various grand heights. Joyce finished grading the entrance exams yesterday though wishing early June undergraduate festivities. Jeering vicious gorillas makes kempt kindergarteners giggle. Mrs. Jones Dear Mrs. Jones, Thank you for the acrostic message. Kindly await my reply. Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

My husband Alfre and I have the same problem but it's in two different lines of work. Al's an auto mechanic and I am a hands-on decorator, which involves faux painting. How can we keep our hands looking nice without scrubbing the living daylights out of them?

We participate in many social functions, which of course involves lots of handshaking and necessary gesturing to enhance others' proper interpretation of our overall body language. Oh - did I mention that Alfre's a cellist and I a trombonist? Surely, then, you see the need on which we could use your advice.

Thank you very much.

Gabriella

Dear Gabriella,

Pour a dash of regular grade olive oil into Alfre's cupped hands with a smidge of salt or sugar to taste (exercise care if he's on a restricted diet). Tell him to rub his hands together vigorously and in between his fingers for a moment or three in time. Wash with soap and water. Dry hands. Have the process reversed: him assisting you. Follow all steps scrupulously.

Congratulations on glad and soft, clean hands.

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Buying and Storing Olive Oil

Buying oil in small sizes, or splitting larger bottles with friends, is a practical way to buy expensive oils. Oil purchased in bulk should always be poured into smaller containers, preferably in a can or a dark-colored bottle.

Remember - Olives are fruit; olive oil is a fruit juice. Air, heat, and light will cause olive oil to turn rancid (rancid is the flavor which is imparted in an oil after it has undergone the process of oxidation. Since prolonged contact with oxygen is the rot cause of oxidation, rancidity is a common defect, so it should be stored in a cool place in an airtight container). If your oil has a buttery taste, then it's probably rancid.

The ideal temperature for storing olive oil is 57°F or 14 degrees C, although a normal room temperature of 70ºF works very well if the olive oil is stored in a dark area where the temperature remains fairly constant. A kitchen cabinet located away from the stove and away from direct sunlight will work quite well. If you have a wine cellar, store your olive oils there and keep a small amount in your kitchen. Do not put olive oil in a container without a tight cap.

Refrigeration does not harm most grades of olive oil, but it is not recommended for expensive extra virgin varieties because condensation may develop in the bottle, affecting the flavor. When chilled, or in cold weather, the oil may turn cloudy and even solidify. Such oil will clear again as it warms, so cloudiness should not be taken as an indication that the oil is part its prime. Be sure bottles are tightly sealed. Refrigeration will extend the life of olive oil without harming the oil. Doing so will cause it to congeal and turn cloudy, but should not affect flavor. If refrigerated, olive oil will return to its original, liquid state when warmed to room temperature again.

Tinted glass, porcelain, or stainless steel are the best materials for containers; oil should never be stored in plastic or in reactive metals. Stay away from plastic containers as the oil can absorb PVCs.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Those messages was courtesy of my son Joshua. I was at work.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Mrs. Jones,

Thank you for the clarification; I see great things ahead for little Josh.

I shall send you an application form under separate cover for him to "fill out." Doubtless he is quite capable of doing so without adult supervision! This procedure is merely a formality for our files. I want him on my writing staff ... his decoded acrostic message - compliments of moi - is nothing short of unbridled genius.

We wish to channel this tiny dynamo's brilliance into projects of the wonderful world of tomorrow!

Does he require a permission slip from you and Mr. Jones?

Gratitude ... and then some,

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit