Ask Happy Homemaker!

by compound complex 337 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I live in a split-level home - three levels to be exact - and find that, with advancing age, I have some difficulty in negotiating all the stairs. When I built this dream home some 20 years ago I gave no thought to getting older and slower and gimpier. Apart from the sluggish housing market, I really don't wish to move. I guess I'm putting off the inevitable till I'm forced out of my otherwise perfect home.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I might make my home more functional to my current needs?

Thank you.

Horace

Dear Horace,

I feel for you as I am myself negotiating four levels in my present domicile. From my own personal experience, therefore, I would suggest you make your living/working/eating arrangements on the mezzanine.

You can screen off your sleeping quarters from the living area or simply install a day bed, i.e., an attractive seating arrangement by day that becomes a sleeper immediately upon your tossing the throws, bolsters and stuffed bears and bunnies par plancher. This, obviously, requires no architectural redesigning of the general quarters.

Where you might presently have stationed seldom-used furniture pieces, relocate in their stead a largish work table. It need not be ugly as concentrated sin to prove its functionality. Its surface area should be capacious and unadorned by needless encumbrance and frou-frou. It is only for your endeavors, whatever they should prove to be.

If you must use other floors of your maison, you will need to look into the eventuality of a mechanical human conveyance - a lift. Or hire two burlies to provide for your ups and downs.

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I've got a laundry question.

With four grubby teen-age boys and an even grubbier father whom they emulate dirt-wise, I go through lots of liquid detergent. Since I'm so tiny, however, I have a dickens of a time wielding those huge plastic bottles. And when it comes to pouring the soap onto shirt collars and knees of their levis ... what a mess! Spills everywhere.

How can I do my job more efficiently and avoid snapping my delicate wrists?

Thanks for your time.

Blanche

Dear Blanche,

Get one of those guys of yours to pour detergent from the mother jug into smaller, more manageable containers with decently wide mouths. Mouths that will accept entrance of a medium-sized paint brush. Dip brush into the cleaning solution and brush onto offending soiled portions of clothing.

Allow to set for 54 seconds. Toss into washer. Wash. Rinse. Repeat as necessary (this is a matter of personal taste).

Good luck. You need it!

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex
    WASHING MACHINESWhen deciding on a washing machine, a good thing to be aware of is thegoverment rebateoffered on models with a 4 star or higher rating. Check the listing for agencies offering these rebates at the end of this article.

Washing machines
    are a standard houshold electrical item. Items like washing machines were once referred to as whitegoods due to their typically white coloured exteriors. Everyone that does their own clothes washing needs at least one washing machine. TOP LOADING WASHING MACHINES Top loading washing machines are the most common washing machines in households today. As their name suggest they are filled by inserting the clothes via the top of the washing machine via a lift up lid. The lid on the washing machine usually de-activates the washing cycle if opened while in operation. The washing machine dials and controls are always on the top of a top loading washer (out of the reach of children). FRONT LOADING WASHING MACHINES Front loading washing machines ( also called front loading washers ) are washing machines that are loaded with washing via a front opening door on the front of the washing machine. Sometimes sold in combination as a front loading washing machine and dryer, the clothes dryer would usually be situated on top of the front loading washing machine.

Front loading washing machinescan not be opened during a washing cycle ( as the water would fall out of the opened door and flood the floor ).

Child proof options should also be considered when purchasing a front load washing machine.
    Washing machine typesWashing machine brands
    front load washing
    top loader washing machine
    portable washing machine
    front load washing machines
    commercial washing machines
    compact washing machines
    large washing machines
    front loader, front loading
    bosch washing machines
    ge washing machine
    lg washing machine
    maytag washing machine
    samsung washing machine
    simpson washing machine
    electrolux washing machines
    fisher and paykel washing machines
    miele washing machines
    simpson washing machines
    asko washing machines
  • compound complex
  • compound complex
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

Bonafaccio and I, Concetta his adoring wife, live on La Rinconada Drive in Tonywood, California. Though it has taken three years to complete construction of our 12,000 square foot home on Monte Sereno - and no expense was spared - we just received notice from our accountant that we haven't the funds to light our meandering quarter-mile driveway. Even Malibu Lights are not on the affordable list.

We are so worried about difficulty maneuvering the tarmac in our Rolls after late evenings of nouveau-riche festivities.

How can we be sure we are adequately lit up at night?

My thanks to you.

Concetta Albergnoni

Dear Concetta,

I would suggest that you should concentrate on the lighting of the driveway and not yourselves. Have you heard of grape juice? Virgin drinks?

Helpful and guiding reflectors for your drive can be skillfully and simply engineered by spray painting jar lids with reflective paint and screwing them to wooden stakes (surely you must have quite a heap of these from construction). Once assembled, hammer stakes into ground along perimeter of drive and watch the road come aglow!

If you're worried about piling into a rock outcropping or Sequoia along the route, it might be prudent to decorate those lumbering objects likewise, though with an appropriately tasteful design - friendly to eyes and environment ...

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Recycle Those Old CD's

"Scratch Board" - I like taking my unused AOL etc...cd freebies and painting them with either an acrylic or fabric paint. I then lightly draw/trace a design onto the dried surface and proceed to scratch onto the design. This removes the paint and leaves the shiny rainbow part exposed ... voila you have a unique "scratch board" ... ( you can use a thick sewing needle ,pencil or end of a small paintbrush) Contributed by J.snuggles

Drop spindle for spinning wool - You need roughly two cd's (aol's free ones work very well) a dowel about 12 - 16 inches long some rubber tubing and a small metal hook. Place the rubber tubing around the dowel and place in the center of the cd's about four inches from the top. screw metal hook into the top and spin. Contributed by Rachel Lapine, [email protected]

Christmas Light Reflectors - We use them as reflectors for Christmas lights outside....the c-7 size bulbs fit thru the opening and then we put the light string on outdoor stakes and line a sidewalk...looks REALLY cool when it is lightly raining...the clear colored bulbs work best, but the opaque ones will do. Contributed by Cathy Bruce Purdy, [email protected].

Use as Reflectors - Fasten to a wooden stake by pre-drilling and screwing/nailing it to the wood, shiny side OUT, and use as reflectors along your sidewalk or driveway. Contributed by Lala, [email protected]

Candle Display - Use cd's shiny side up to sit small pillar or votive candles on. The reflection off the cd's is great for centerpieces on buffet tables, especially during the holidays. Contributed by pk, [email protected]

Sun Catcher - The sun's rays reflects all sorts of color off of them. Glue 2 CDs together (label sides to one another) To make holes for hanging, use a large enough needle or a nail. Use a pair of pliers to hold onto needle or nail and hold over an open flame to heat, then push through the two discs when hot enough. Run some decorative cord through the hole(s), decorate both sides, but nothing too large or you'll ruin the effect and the purpose of why you are making. Contributed by LuLu, [email protected]

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I just split my fingernail while carrying in a load of firewood. It's not summer on my continent. I'm going to settle in by a nice, cozy fire and brew me a restoring cup of Lipton Tea. Take my mind off my split nail.

Any repair possible?

Mable

Dear Mable,

You're in luck. While your tea's steeping, grab an unused teabag, empty it and cut a portion of the paper to the size of your nail. Apply clear nail polish to split nail and affix paper cut-out.

That should do the trick.

This will not work with loose-leaf tea, however ...

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I am a business man and must dress accordingly. Suit, tie, shiny shoes ... Since eating out is at least a twice-daily affair while on the road, I frequently find myself wearing my food.

What's an easy way to remove food stains from my clothing?

Thanks.

Larry

Dear Larry,

Whip out your trusty can of shaving cream and put a spot o' the lather on stain that you have first dampened with H2O. Then wipe clean with damp sponge.

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Burma-Shave

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Burma shave) Jump to: navigation, search 1960s shaving cream spray can; note that there is no hyphen.

Burma-Shave was a United States brand of brushless shaving cream, famous for its advertising gimmick of posting humorous rhyming poems on small, consecutive highway billboard signs.

Burma-Shave was introduced in 1925 by the Burma-Vita company, owned by Clinton Odell. The company's original product was a liniment, most of whose ingredients came "from the Malay Peninsula and Burma." [1] The target market for the liniment was small, and the company sought to expand the product's sales base by introducing a product likely to be more widely needed.

Burma-Shave was a pungent, soapy-smelling concoction that the company at first had difficulty selling. To increase sales, the owners developed the famous Burma-Shave advertising sign program, and sales took off. At its peak, Burma-Shave was the second-highest selling brushless shaving cream in the United States. However, sales declined in the 1950s, and in 1963 the company was sold to Phillip Morris. The signs were removed at that time. The brand decreased in visibility and eventually became the property of the American Safety Razor Company.

In 1997, the American Safety Razor Company reintroduced the Burma-Shave brand, including a nostalgic shaving soap and brush kit. Ironically, the original Burma-Shave was a brushless shaving cream, and Burma-Shave's own roadside signs frequently ridiculed "Grandpa's' old-fashioned shaving brush."

Contents

[ hide ]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit