Convictions or Reasons - which come first?

by nicolaou 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Besides, you're really just obfuscating.

I promise I'm not doing that.

Do you accept that the other references (1656 years, 430 years, etc.) are accurate?

I'm not too sure about those references. The Book of Jasher gives different ages at death for some of the pre-Flood patriarchs. If I remember correctly, it also gives a different age for Abraham when he left Ur of the Chaldeans.

These things don't really matter to me because my faith is not dependent on how accurate those records are. I believe the Bible is God's message as to how He is going to reclaim His creation. Although I would love to see it happen in my day, I'm willing to wait - in life or in death.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

I'm leaving soon for a long weekend, so this will probably be my last reply. It's been fun!

Anyways...

Do you accept that the other references (1656 years, 430 years, etc.) are accurate?

I'm not too sure about those references.

So the Bible is not an accurate record of historical events? Glad to se you've finally "seen the light"!

These things don't really matter to me because my faith is not dependent on how accurate those records are.

And with that we come full circle. Your faith is independent of accuracy (or, to use a synonym, truthfulness). The primary guidebook to your faith is proven inaccurate, yet you still have confidence in it.

Well, if that works for you, more power to you! But I'm sure you can at least see why others have a hard time with that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well, if that works for you, more power to you! But I'm sure you can at least see why others have a hard time with that.

I've never taken others to task for their lack of belief in the Holy Scriptures; I've simply stated my feelings.

Here's hoping your long weekend will be a fulfilling one.

Until we meet again ...

Sylvia

• Terry
    Terry

I want things to be the way I want them. Don't you?

I want the wind at my back if I'm going for a stroll. I don't want the sun in my eyes. I want my water refreshing and cold when I'm thirsty. I want my bed firm and the temperature around me to stay 73 at all times.

That's what I WANT.

If I can't have what I want--what then?

I've got three basic choices.

1. I can complain about it

2. I can take steps to bring about the conditions I desire by intelligent planning, careful choices and selective strategy

3.I can HOPE.

Of the above three choices, the most pro-active is the second one.

However, for a great many people, it is the third one that seems best: HOPE.

The more devoutly one hopes the closer they get to pure FAITH.

A recent bestseller THE SECRET reveals a kind of mind strategy where you just put those "hoped for" things "out there" and--presto! Like the loaves and fishes, you end up reaping the benefits. All from that wonderfully positive and hopeful mindset.

In other words, the tail actually wags the dog. Your mind is more real than the physics of cause and effect!

Now, I've said all the above so I can say this:

In the real world of cause and effect, you really must DO something to bring about the "perfect" situations and conditions you desire. You can't warm your butt on a chair "thinking" and "hoping" and "wishing" and "daydreaming" about the IDEAL and discover at the end of all that "secret" thinking you reap any reward other than a sore butt.

A spider doesn't hope for a spider web. It builds the web and HOPES for an insect to lodge in it for breakfast. Action first!

HOPE is the lazy person's default.

The next rung up that ladder is buying a Lotto ticket! Playing vanishingly small odds for benefit.

The rabbit's foot keychain and the lotto ticket and the "secret thinking" and the hope and the belief in miracles are a DEFAULT mindset which rests exactly on the spot where ACTION should reside!

The more you unplug from causing the effect you desire, the more you need hope, belief, faith and blind luck to see you through.

The place where the least motion exists is where hope comes flowing out. Inert, torpid, lazy, passive, clunky FAITH is the RED FLAG that indicates a quitter, a depressed wannabe, a counterfeit doer and a superstitious goldbrick swaying in a hammock sipping pure daydreams up their straw living & in their own head instead of elbowing out a real place in time and space built out of sweat and hard work.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Life is the beginning of all values. Making life good.....better....best requires values that work. The seed must be planted for anything to grow.

You can't water your unplanted garden with hope and grow a crop of anything but dirt and weeds.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ah but Terry! You forget that it is God who 'causes the effect'. There really is no need for the man or woman of faith to do anything. You are mistakenly attributing laziness to those who are simply standing still and awaiting the salvation of God'.

ri·dic·u·lous – adjective causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; preposterous; laughable: a ridiculous plan.

Sylvia, I say this with kindness, you are being both ridiculous and dishonest. I called you on it in the first topic and John Doe has done it in this one - please, please take a good hard look at your argumentation and reasoning. It vacillates and flits from one position to another according to whichever will suit your preconceptions best.

• Slappy
    Slappy

Wow, that was civil in word usage only. Very good use of euphemisms by the way. I'm pretty sure that you called her (and anybody else that believes in such) insane, among other not-so-flattering terms...just in a lot more words.

I'm sure you have all heard this before, but on the off chance that you haven't here goes.

We who believe, base our belief on the Word of God, the Bible, as I'm sure you all know. Many people however, find it difficult to believe that those things written are true. Why? We read about Columbus, the rise and fall of Rome, and many other happenings in the past that historians have recorded. We weren't there to witness it first-hand, yet we believe that these things actually happened. Why? What is different about the history recorded in the Bible and every other bit of history? One point is that some of the things in the Bible are difficult for us to grasp (miracles and whatnot) because we don't see these things happening today. As a result, we rationalize that since there is not way that those things could happen (it's beyond our comprehension) we assume, and rightly so, that if one part of the Bible is false, then all of it is false. For if God can't lie, and there is a lie in the Bible, then the Bible cannot be truly God's Word. However, we must be careful to properly distinguish between a lie, and an honest mistake.

Sorry to bring up the faith argument again, since it is viewed as a cop-out by those who don't understand it, but what is the definition of faith? Faith is "belief that is not based on proof" according to www.dictionary.com (sorry, didn't have a websters handy). If we have proof, then faith no longer exists; why do you think that Christ said that the least in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than the greatest prophets of old? (sorry for no references, I didn't feel like looking them up, but He is speaking in reference to John the Baptist). That is because all those that believe on Christ, and therefore God, believe without seeing, whereas those that believed in God pre-Christ, did so because God was a very real aspect in their life. Oh, sorry, I'm referencing the Bible again, which doesn't work since you don't believe in it. Bummer, what to do.

"And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words...Rooted and built up in him [Christ], and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:4, 7&8 (sorry, I lied, I did feel like looking up some references). Logic is all good and well, I'm a huge fan of it myself. But as snowbird said, logic can only take you so far. I think it would be a fair assessment that this is a case of the tool not fitting the job. It's been known to happen, so why not now? Oh, wait, is that another cop-out? So I should just keep hammering away at the nail with a pair of needle-nose pliers just so I can prove that it's not a nail because it's not behaving the way it's supposed to? (that was a hasty analogy, but I think it gets my point across).

One last point. This is a question I commonly ask because it makes people think. "In 80 or so years, is what we're doing here on earth really going to matter?" If there is no God, then no, what we're doing here doesn't matter. But if what we do doesn't matter, then why are we here? To have a good time? Again, are you going to care whether or not you had a good time after you die? So what is our purpose?

I like to view our time here as a test, to see if we are worthy to be called the Sons/Daughters of God. Now, you can bring up the argument about God being Love, so a true God wouldn't "test" us. However, that is only half true, and many, many people make that mistake. They leave out that God is also Righteous and Holy. When you throw those two adjectives into the mix, things change drastically.

Anyway, don't take what I say at face value (not like you need any encouragement there), but why don't you go see for yourself? Leave your pride at the door (is it so important that you're right in regard to this?) and ask God, with a willing heart and the desire to learn the Truth, to guide you. Oh wait, my bad, you can't ask somebody for help if you don't believe He exists...that would be weird.

bk

ps. can't wait to hear the backlash to this...

• jgnat
    jgnat

It irks me when a poster anticipates backlash. What's wrong with laying your words down and let the chips fall where they may?

Welcome to the board, slappy. Perhaps some will agree with you....in part.

• trevor
    trevor

Slappy

Welcome to the forum. I am not a Christian myself but just a strange collection of molecules that have deluded themselves into believing they can actually think!

You ave put together a good post. There is always room on a forum like this for sensible and reasoned debate, and you seem to be up to the job.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Slappy:

Welcome to the board!

Wow, that was civil in word usage only. Very good use of euphemisms by the way. I'm pretty sure that you called her (and anybody else that believes in such) insane, among other not-so-flattering terms...just in a lot more words.

I don't think anyone referred to snowbird as insane. Intellectually dishonest certainly and perhaps delusional, maybe even unintelligent (although I personally think her refusal to use reason is a deliberate choice as she herself claims it to be rather than lack of sufficient intelligence) but not insane.

We who believe, base our belief on the Word of God, the Bible, as I'm sure you all know.

Immediately, that labels you as intellectually dishonest. Why would you not base your beliefs on the evidence instead of whatever happens to be written in whatever holy book you're most attached to?

Many people however, find it difficult to believe that those things written are true. Why? We read about Columbus, the rise and fall of Rome, and many other happenings in the past that historians have recorded. We weren't there to witness it first-hand, yet we believe that these things actually happened. Why? What is different about the history recorded in the Bible and every other bit of history? One point is that some of the things in the Bible are difficult for us to grasp (miracles and whatnot) because we don't see these things happening today.

Another point is that the documents that comprise the bible cannot really be considered reliable. In any case, this is not the place to start. It's ludicrous to pick a book, decide it's true and then challenge anyone who disagrees to prove that all parts of it are definitely false. Why pick the bible for this exercise in mental masturbation? Why not the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, or the Harry Potter series?

As a result, we rationalize that since there is not way that those things could happen (it's beyond our comprehension) we assume, and rightly so, that if one part of the Bible is false, then all of it is false.

That would be an incredibly stupid thing to assume. It is possible for a book - especially one that is a haphazardly collected anthology - to contain some information that is true, and some that is false. For example, a lot of the geographical information in the Bible is demonstrably true, while a lot of the historical and scientific information is demonstrably false.

For if God can't lie, and there is a lie in the Bible, then the Bible cannot be truly God's Word. However, we must be careful to properly distinguish between a lie, and an honest mistake.

So God can make honest mistakes?

Sorry to bring up the faith argument again, since it is viewed as a cop-out by those who don't understand it, but what is the definition of faith? Faith is "belief that is not based on proof" according to www.dictionary.com (sorry, didn't have a websters handy).

Now at least you're being honest. Many people try to pretend that faith means something other than that but at least you have the gumption to come right out and admit what it really means.

If we have proof, then faith no longer exists;

That's only true of intellectually honest people. Many people hold on to their faith (belief without proof) even in the face of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. (See snowbird's posts above for several examples). Once we know the facts of a matter, there's no need for idle speculation, conjecture, fantasy and certainly not for faith.

why do you think that Christ said that the least in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than the greatest prophets of old? (sorry for no references, I didn't feel like looking them up, but He is speaking in reference to John the Baptist). That is because all those that believe on Christ, and therefore God, believe without seeing, whereas those that believed in God pre-Christ, did so because God was a very real aspect in their life. Oh, sorry, I'm referencing the Bible again, which doesn't work since you don't believe in it. Bummer, what to do.

What you could do is provide evidence rather than just rambling nonsense. The above paragraph doesn't make much sense, no matter what you believe. It's certainly not true that people before Jesus had seen God, whereas those who met Jesus had not. If you believe the Bible, isn't the exact opposite true?

"And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words...Rooted and built up in him [Christ], and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:4, 7&8 (sorry, I lied, I did feel like looking up some references).

No problem. Believers lie all the time.

Logic is all good and well, I'm a huge fan of it myself.

Good. Feel free to use it sometime.

But as snowbird said, logic can only take you so far.

Yes, if you want to go further, sometimes you will have to make things up. Of course, where that takes you is completely independent of reality. This can easily be seen by comparing the difference between science and religion worldwide. Scientists (who use logic) all over the world come to essentially the same conclusions about issues, whereas religious people (who use faith) come to completely different conclusions largely dependent on where they happened to be born.

I think it would be a fair assessment that this is a case of the tool not fitting the job. It's been known to happen, so why not now? Oh, wait, is that another cop-out? So I should just keep hammering away at the nail with a pair of needle-nose pliers just so I can prove that it's not a nail because it's not behaving the way it's supposed to? (that was a hasty analogy, but I think it gets my point across).

Doesn't even come close. Let's try to get it as a working analogy. The tools are logic and faith, right? So how do we decide whether something is a nail? Columbus's voyage to the Americas is a nail, we can use logic and evidence to find out pretty much everything there is to know about it, right? And the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, another nail, right? And the life of Shakespeare? Do tell me if any of these things need different tools to learn about them. The conquest of Mecca by Mohammed, same category of thing, isn't it? And the life of Jesus of Nazareth? No? Why is the last one different? Why should we apply different tools to that one event? Why does that one need a different tool?

One last point. This is a question I commonly ask because it makes people think. "In 80 or so years, is what we're doing here on earth really going to matter?" If there is no God, then no, what we're doing here doesn't matter. But if what we do doesn't matter, then why are we here? To have a good time? Again, are you going to care whether or not you had a good time after you die? So what is our purpose?

Certainly, if you choose to believe that you are part of a plan and you will exist forever you may well derive some comfort from that. That does not at all make it true though. Obviously, that doesn't matter to you. If you cared about truth as much as we skeptics, you would reject faith. But for us, the issue of whether a given claim is true is more important to whether it is comforting (at least in the context of discussions like this).

I like to view our time here as a test, to see if we are worthy to be called the Sons/Daughters of God. Now, you can bring up the argument about God being Love, so a true God wouldn't "test" us. However, that is only half true, and many, many people make that mistake. They leave out that God is also Righteous and Holy. When you throw those two adjectives into the mix, things change drastically.

Anyway, don't take what I say at face value (not like you need any encouragement there), but why don't you go see for yourself? Leave your pride at the door (is it so important that you're right in regard to this?) and ask God, with a willing heart and the desire to learn the Truth, to guide you. Oh wait, my bad, you can't ask somebody for help if you don't believe He exists...that would be weird.

Yes, it would be weird. Why don't you ask the Flying Spaghetti Monster to touch you with his noodly appendage? Or (less facetiously) why not ask Lord Krishna to bless you? Don't be proud, just ask either one of those deities to guide you. If you don't get a response, that's your fault. Your heart isn't open enough, or you're using faulty human logic or some such similar pitiful excuse.

ps. can't wait to hear the backlash to this...

Actions have consequences. Posting poorly-thought out nonsense generally results in a critical response. I know it won't bother you too much though. You've got your invisible forcefield of faith to immunise you against any criticism.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't think anyone referred to snowbird as insane. Intellectually dishonest certainly and perhaps delusional, maybe even unintelligent (although I personally think her refusal to use reason is a deliberate choice as she herself claims it to be rather than lack of sufficient intelligence) but not insane.

Hi, and welcome, Slappy. I state that I have faith in the God of the Bible, and look what happens! For the record, I'm not delusional, intellectually dishonest, or unintelligent. (I would post my IQ, but since so-called intelligent tests have been stacked so egregiously against African-Americans, I'll pass).

I've said before that I believe the Bible is only as inerrant as the men who wrote it, but I accept it - warts and all - as God's revelation of Himself to His human creatures. I don't know how I can possibly make that any clearer. It was men (literally) who wrote the Bible; it is men (generically) who write scientific textbooks. We believe one group, why not the other?

If we have proof, then faith no longer exists;

That's only true of intellectually honest people. Many people hold on to their faith (belief without proof) even in the face of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. (See snowbird's posts above for several examples). Once we know the facts of a matter, there's no need for idle speculation, conjecture, fantasy and certainly not for faith.

I haven't seen any such incontrovertible evidence. When, and if I do, I will gladly remove my shield.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit