Convictions or Reasons - which come first?

by nicolaou 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BFD
    BFD

Just sticking my head in here to say HI BTS, you big PIA!

BFD

• BurnTheShips
  • trevor
    trevor

Welcome back Burns. I though for a minute I was seeing things.

I won't comment on your post - you need time to adjust to the light.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Is that you Trevor? It is kind of blurry out here after that dark tomb. Someone get these burial cloths off me darnit!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

I think belief in God is also reasonable.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about things like believing without evidence that somebody magically turned a small amount of food into a much larger amount of food. Even snowbird admits it's unreasonable, the issue is why people believe such unreasonable things.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You'd check the identity of someone who came to read your meter but when it comes to who made the universe you're happy just to believe the first thing you were told.

Faith follows the thing heard.

The credentials of the One who made everything possible are written in a Book that all can read and decide for themselves to accept or reject.

You know, I read in a college biology textbook once about the universal dreams we humans have of falling and the terror that accompanies those dreams.

The author stated that it is her belief that this is a carryover from the time when our ancestors lived in trees! This fear comes from their being jerked rudely awake when they were about to lose their grip and fall out of the tree.

I thought to myself, could this come from the first couple's fear and terror after they lost God's favor and were driven from the Garden? Were they so deeply scarred by this experience they they passed these primal emotions on to their offspring?

I didn't say anything at the time because I was sure I would have been ridiculed. Now, it doesn't matter. Ideas are meant to be shared, debated, and if found to be untenable, discarded.

I have yet to find a reason to discard my belief in the Holy Scriptures.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Madame Snowbird, you are a tough lady.

BurnTheShips

Welcome back, my brother!!!!

It's been the longest week!

Thanks for being in my corner, but I don't feel ganged upon at all.

All are playing nicely - so far.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

BFD, what's a PIA?

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But that's not what this thread is about. It's about things like believing without evidence that somebody magically turned a small amount of food into a much larger amount of food. Even snowbird admits it's unreasonable, the issue is why people believe such unreasonable things.

Ah, I see.

Well, I believe in miracles too. I don't think they can be scientifically proven. But neither can scientific naturalism/empiricalism itself be scientifically proven true either. (Please read preceding sentence carefully before jumping to conclusions).

A miracle, by definition, has an element of faith. Thus, all miracles, no matter what they are, no matter what scientific evidence there might me, can be refuted by those who refuse to believe. They will offer some sort of explanation no matter how irrational or silly. We can never underestimate man's ability to rationalize something away if he chooses to.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Is there anything fantastically unlikely that you don't believe then? For example, do you believe that Ram Setu (a bridge between India and Sri Lanka) was built by Lord Ram and his army of monkeys? If not, why not?

Of course I don't believe that! Don't be ridiculous. Facetiousness is not becoming to you, FunkyD.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit