Convictions or Reasons - which come first?

by nicolaou 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

None of the generations are skipped! They're all there, from 1 to 75.

I don't get it. You said some generations areskipped, then point twice to a website which verifies that the Bible says nogenerations are skipped.

What am I missing?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Look at Matthew's listing very closely; do you see any gaps?

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

So, how do you reconcile the two genealogies to work out a Bible chronology of 6,000 years?

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Reconciling the chronologies is not what the topic is...better men than me have failed!

But it's really not necessary.

As a refresher:

Adam --> Flood: 1656 years (Genesis ch. 5)

Flood --> Abraham: 427 years (Genesis 11 & 12)

Abraham --> Moses & Law: 430 years (Galatians 3:17)

Moses & Law --> Solomon builds temple: 480 years (1 Kings 6:1)

Solomon builds temple --> temple destroyed: a bit fuzzy, probably around 400 years, per regnal periods of Kings & Chronicles

Temple destroyed 607 587 BCE

587 BCE --> now: 2600 years, roughly

As you can see, the only fuzzy stretch not specifically enumerated in the Bible is the period from Solomon to the Temple destruction. But there's certainly no way the period was 4400 years, rather than 400 years.

Additionally, the time period covered fits in with Luke's chronology.

So once again: Using strictly the Bible's chronology, we can count 6000 or so years to the creation of the first man, Adam.

Tell me again how you can squeeze in 10,000 or more years there?

• snowbird
    snowbird

So once again: Using strictly the Bible's chronology, we can count 6000 or so years to the creation of the first man, Adam.

Tell me again how you can squeeze in 10,000 or more years there?

I never mentioned 10,000 or more years. This is what I said:

The Bible doesn't say how long humans have been here, and neither should anyone else.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

I never mentioned 10,000 or more years. This is what I said:

The Bible doesn't say how long humans have been here, and neither should anyone else.

Sigh.

Once again:

I think I have demonstrated that the Bible does indeed say how long humans have been here. 6000 years.

Or is one of those Biblical references I made incorrect?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think I have demonstrated that the Bible does indeed say how long humans have been here. 6000 years.

No; you've just made a lot of conjectures.

I suggest leaving it alone as per Acts 1:7.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

No; you've just made a lot of conjectures.

I suggest leaving it alone as per Acts 1:7.

???

I'm really confused!

Show me where the conjecture is!

All I did was point to concrete Biblical references which give exact numbers. The only "conjecture" was in the period from Solomon to the Babylonian captivity, but the fuzziness can only be for few decades at most.

Please show me which Biblical reference is a "conjecture". I'd really like to know.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I said you made conjectures, not the Bible!

The only "conjecture" was in the period from Solomon to the Babylonian captivity, but the fuzziness can only be for few decades at most.

How do you know this?

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Good question - I don't know it. However, it seems to be quite reasonable.

As noted in the original post, the Bible gives an unbroken string of Israelite and Judean kings during that time period. The Bible itself is unclear on some of the details, thus the Bible itself is the source of the fuzziness.

But it definitely does give a list of kings between Solomon and the Babylonian exile. It leaves no gaps.

Sticking with just the Judean kings, there were 20 or so kings (depending on how you count regencies, co-rulers, etc.) between Solomon & Zedekiah. 20 kings doesn't leave a lot of leeway.

Besides, you're really just obfuscating. Out of a period of 6000 years, you're dwelling on a period of 400 years that can't be pinned down as exactly as the other concrete Bible references (can't be pinned down due the Bible's vagueness, at that!).

Do you accept that the other references (1656 years, 430 years, etc.) are accurate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit