Born Gay?

by inrainbows 206 Replies latest members adult

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    We should start a thread on humping dogs or something.

Good idea. The PO of my first congregation had a poodle named Sam. He was always trying to hump everyone's leg. The PO always found this amusing and did nothing to discourage Sam from humping everyone's leg. One year during the Superbowl he tried humping the legs of everyone present, myself included. The PO thought it was really funny. I guess that made Sam a bi-multi-species-sexual dog with a leg fetish. I wonder if he learned this behaviour from his master, the PO, or if he was born that way.

W

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

The study I cited above is indicative of how researchers and behavioral scientists, eager to please their benefactors for the sake of continuing their life's career goals, will only report things are politically correct. Much like many pastors and theologians I know that have compromised their beliefs and positions just to keep their jobs. Very common. When you go to seminar/Bethel, you find out more reality than you really wanted to know. :-))

The above paragraph is not a judgement on them, merely an observation. When I got out of the Witnesses and was studying theology for the first few cyears, and visiting Israel, Egypt, ands Greece, seminaries, etc, as well as Bible colleges, one thing was very common, JUST AS IT WAS AT BETHEL.

People will dredge the political climate for what they need out of it.

10 years from now when the whole "gay" thing is over, like hopefully the "black" thing will be over, we can go on to a new form of bigotry and self-righteousness. Looking forward to that, homies!!

Randy

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I like the fact that you put incest, eating ones young, murder, stealing, cannibalism (all of which harms others) all in the same category as being gay.

I am using these examples to illustrate the weakness of an argument, not to equate them, and yes, "polygamy" was a poor choice of words, what I meant was "multiple sexual partners".

BTS

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

BTS says,

We are all born with certain proclivities that are not moral. As a Christian I believe we are all called to chastity. It is more difficult for some of us than others.

I think that is key, and I believe that we are called to reign in our passions when we get animal at times. I sure do! :-))

That makes us different. I am also a born-again Christian. But there are many things I do not know. But I am no longer concerned about needing to know it all.

Life is short, enjoy it, and do something nice to someone else today, friends.

Randy

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I am using these examples to illustrate the weakness of an argument, not to equate them, and yes, "polygamy" was a poor choice of words, what I meant was "multiple sexual partners".

Lions have prides. Have you ever watched Meerkat Manor!? Those animals are definitely into procreation! And why do they call female dogs bitches?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

On the otherhand, I have one brother that's pure gangsta and has more women than he needs! We all have the same mother and father! That boy don't play! He ain't shy! Crazy!?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

That brings up the question - Is it okay to have multiple sex partners as long as they're of the opposite sex? I always wondered why people felt that only homosexuals had multiple sex partners? And why it was the homosexuals that were more sinful? I don't understand that part? Homosexuals can be quite monogamist (sp?) just like any other couple.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

BTS: I'm glad you realize the examples of "negative" animal behaviors mentioned are irrelevent to the discussion at hand. The point really being made in that context is that it is silly to call any of these things "unnatural". The discussion needs to be refined away from the non-sequitor of what is "unnatural", and more towards how appropriate behavior is measured.

It is not acceptable to gauge appropriateness based on religious views, at least in American society. Religions are diverse and contradictory. What is appropriate to a Christian will not be the same as for a Jew - even different Christians will disagree. This measure must be tossed out.

Note to Freydi: When you can come to the table with clean hands and truthfully state you follow all the OT laws, then you may have some credibility when it comes to this discussion - until then, I think the "cafeteria Catholic" moniker sticks. Heck, you may even be worthy of debating interpretation and translation issues.

But back to the "born" question, BTS:

I think maybe the hormonal environment in the womb can cause this.

Studies with rats involving in uetero hormones in the 1980's support this view.

I think that certain psychological traumas during childhood and sexual abuse can cause a person's sexual growth to go a certain way.

I agree. I lived a childhood of sexual abuse. I am gay. BUT: in my years of group therapy I have met many men with the same background that are completely straight. Unlike Junction Guy, I don't make the mistake of pretending that my situation is universal. What I do know about myself is that I have never had any leanings toward heterosexuality, that every milestone of sexual development has been same-gendered, and that this has always been the same since my earliest memories. We will have the nature/nurture debate with us for many aspects of personality for a long time to come, why should orientation be any different?

It is "natural" for them to feel this. It is not moral for them to act on it.

For those wishing to subscribe to your particular morality, more power to them (and you). Just don't foist it on others. And, knowing you as I do Burn, I know you don't seem to (regardless of the joy we both bring to posture and discussion). ;-) My own morality is less dependent on someone else's interpretation of God's words or God's will. The yardstick I apply to others is whether they are engaged in consensual activities. Not much else is ever needed. But I fully support your decision to apply your morality to yourself.

We are all born with certain proclivities that are not moral.

So let's develop measures of appropriate behavior. And, in America, let's keep in mind the separation of Church and State, and allow all to practice their religion within the context of their own lives - and show the same respect for others. Buddhists in America don't seem to interfere with the Christian eating of meat, Christian's have not successfully stopped the genital mutilation of Jewish men [added for effect], etc. It's better for everyone when we keep religion out of the law. Let each person determine their own morality, and let criminal law deal with non-consensual activities.

You'll make a Libertarian of me yet, you bad man.

As a Christian I believe we are all called to chastity. It is more difficult for some of us than others.

As a Christian, I am free of the law of chastity, and bound by the law of love. As a Buddhist the issue of orientation is irrelevent, and as a Ciceronean I am bound to not compel others to live as I do.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

MsMcDuckett: I think you may be on the wrong thread. You are making too much sense. ;-)

• beksbks
    beksbks

Burn,

For example, straight married men feel may sexual desire for other women. It is "natural" for them to feel this. It is not moral for them to act on it.

In the case of homosexuality you are saying that they must not act on looking for romantic love. You are denying them a partner, their other half. This is not just about sex. Your example above holds a man to one woman (which I believe is proper not because of the bible, but because of the tremendous pain not doing so causes), but you would have someone who was born homosexual have NO one. If god is love, and we now have information that the bible writers could not possibly have had, (born gay) how can it be that he would demand such a harsh restriction? Isn't the bible and gods word living? Doesn't it need to be interpreted taking into account the world we live in, and the new things we have learned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit