What is your favorite summertime outdoor grill food?

by Quirky1 68 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Porterhosue - medium rare

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Its definitely BBQ season, we mostly do chicken souvlaki on the grill, I don't eat beef anymore.

Eating chicken every night is getting boring

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to grill/BBQ fish and what kind of fish is there that doesn't smell or taste "fishy". My husband says deep fry it but I don't want to fat.

I saw the post here on this thread for salmon and it sounds good but I find salmon to smell and taste fishy. For some reason I have an aversion to smelly food. I also hate the smell of lamb.

I know I should be eating fish but I have always gagged at the fishy odour. I have no idea how to cook it and make it smell and taste good and not overcook it.

Help me please

Velvet

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I've had shark on the barbie once, tastes like chicken. Make sure you oil the grill really well. Don't want it to stick. Or, use a cedar plank.

Lemon and lot's of seasoning helps with the smell. Or, blacken it. That's good! Blackened Mah Mahi! Or Orange roughy! MMMMMmm!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Velvetann..Check this thread for my post on cooking salmon...........Fish that smells too fishy..That can be a definite turn off.....How does a Chef deal with that?..Chicken Broth!..Marinade fish that smells too fishy,in Chicken Broth..........Sometimes a seafood chowder soup will smell and taste too fishy..Add chicken broth....................These are tips I learned from my Chef Teacher`s,in Culinary Art`s School...................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'm all about a genuine south african braai and all sorts of meat. Steak is always a winner - medium. Lamb chops - well done. Honied pork rashers - crispy. Spicey chicken. Ribs are good. And a good quality wors. Yeah I'm all about the meat at a braai. Oh and dont forget a big glass of red wine = very happy Lou :-)

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Louey- I've never had any S.African Cuisine but I would love to try it!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'll go for the T bone porter house, potatoe, corn on the cob, tomatoes, broccoli.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Hey Outlaw, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it, and will try the chicken broth trick. Now just have to decide what fish to choose. My husband says trout or salmon but I don't want bones either....... I am so fussy. I am going to experiment and hopefully find something because I am totally trying to get off Meat. I need a chef

i never eat fish at home because I do not know how to cook it but at the reataurant I have had sole almondine and it is to die for............wish I knew how to do it.

Velvet

• oompa
    oompa

salmon...rubbed with Cavendars Greek Seasoning.....then olive oil....big lemon squeezes...let sit til lemon acid turns edges of salmon white....start skin side down at 450 and lay two super thin slices of lemon on top of the salmon while it cooks.....remove lemons before turning....turn it once the skin is really crispy and white is about half way up the side of the filet....then immediately use your spatula to just slice...like a knife... the skin off in one easy step...I know amazing once you do it....you look like such a pro.

Replace the lemon slices back on the salmon and cook for just a very few minutes at reduced heat or off. Serve it with the former skin side down...and be sure to put the lemon slices on top....presentation counts folks!.........Yeah that is mine................oompa

• zagor
    zagor

Oh man, may dad taught me to make grill fish the way they do it in Adriatic, here is just a short video, for your taste buds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xcAaYSfkk but the trick is that fire should be almost out and fish needs to be slowly dried out with the heat. And you serve it with a bit of lemon, olive oil, some people use salds too like in this video, and definitely red wine. Don't even think of making it without serving wine. Like they say it there, fish needs something to swim in. They usually prepare it on pine wood or if it grows near by rosemary branches. But again you don't soak it in smoke just on the heat that remains at the end of fire. So just put a bit more wood so that heat at the end lasts long enough, about 20 min to half an hour for fish to be done nicely. These guys in video put a bit too much garlic for my taste but a bit of it does give a special flavour, especially if you mix it with olive oil and then dip bread in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit