What's Your MAIN Reason For Not Believing In "The Truth"?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I didnt choose to be a watchtower salesman, my mother forced it on my brother and I. They scared us from infancy with Armegeddon.

There mistake was to put a time frame on it. The time frame is what sucked me in and the time frame is what sucked me out.

From 1960-1975, I believed they were God's spokesmen, prophets.

But January 1,1976, I started getting a sick feeling that something was wrong and my life had been tampered with.

I see in retrospect that from Jan, 1, 76 till Dec of 83 I was fadding. I looked for any opportunity I could find to miss a sales meeting.

By 83 I decided I was through with it.

• done4good
    done4good

Trust those who are searching for the truth, mistrust those who have found it!!!!

Amen, Alpaca!

j

• Galileo
    Galileo

Trust those who are searching for the truth, mistrust those who have found it!!!!

I believe the quote you're referencing is Andre Gide:

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it."

• flipper
    flipper

MINIMUS- That is true about the changes always happening - that is one thing which drives me crazy as well. But also one of my main reasons for NOT believing in the " truth " as you put it , is the hypocrisy of the organization of putting down other religious organizations - while committing the same atrocities, ie. , child abuse, but being very vocal against anybody and everybody doing the same thing. It's ridiculous

• Galileo
    Galileo

For me, losing faith in "The Truth" paralelled my losing faith in the bible in general. It's hard to remember which was first. Realizing that there are witten and archaeological histories of societies such as the Sumerian and Egyptian that predate the supposed Noachian flood and continue unbroken straight through the time it supposedly occured was a pretty major blow. But the death knell was probably learning that the indisputable date of Jerusalem's destruction by Babylon was in 587-586 B.C.E. and not 607 as the GB taught. Without 607, 1914 was totally meaningless, and 1914 was the one piece of evidence they seemed to have on their side, flimsy as it was. Take that away, and what's left?:

"Believe what we say because we're annointed by God!"

"OK, how do you know you're annointed?"

"We know because we have a feeling that we are!"

"OK, I guess that is proof enough for you, but I don't share that feeling. How do I know you are?"

"You know because we told you that we have a feeling!"

That just doesn't work for me. There are many people that are convinced they are god's representative. Ever heard of the Jerusalem Syndrome? I try not to believe in anything without evidence.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I'm having the most amazing ego trip seeing all these OLD people talk about how they "figured out" it wasn't true.

I started realizing something was wrong at about age 9, fully digested the Red Pill by age 13. That left almost 5 years of living captive with a free mind. I don't know if that was good or bad for me. You generally want to get the hell out of dodge as soon as you are ejected from the Matrix, rather than shivering in the goopy stuff, waiting for your ride.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Science for the most part. Also, the damage they do is proof that it couldn't possible be "true."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are too many blatant inconsistencies. Mathematically, one cannot do more than himself plus kids. I cannot believe that paying for littera-trash twice isn't double donation. And, how can any God that's kind always successfully put a washtowel or asleep magazine out every time, just in time to prevent me from ever having any fulfillment? To me, it is blatant that God is not the kind being He is portrayed to be.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

because just about 99% of what they teach has been proven as a lie.

• chickpea
    chickpea

the duplicity and half truths

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit