What's Your MAIN Reason For Not Believing In "The Truth"?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Mind control was a huge issue with me and was probably the main reason for my leaving. I was an MS that constantly had something to do therefore this was a blessing in disguise. It enabled me to actually sit back an pay attention to behaviorial patterns, actions, responses, etc. of the R&F. I realized these people were living a dream. With my mind not being occupied with the WTS and the need to seek further information about the group enabled me to escape their control.

If only others could see thru the smoke and mirrors.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The watchtower tree bears rotten fruit. That's the main reason. They also get caught up on trying to have all the answers and accuracy and they forget their members are humans rather than robots.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The 607/1914/1919 teachings and the consequent 2-tier destiny idea. The blood doctrine is a mess too. (And what drew sagan said.)

• Layla33
    Layla33

Another thing for me was the whole Governing Body and the annointed nonsense that even to a not so logical person, takes a stretch, on the part of the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus type of stretch. As I got older, the less it made sense. Who are these people? And why do they act like the pope/Vatican of the JW? Again, the more they pointed to the world's hypocrisy, the more I saw their own.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is actually a hard question for me. I guess there are many reasons and none. When it comes down to it it feels wrong.

But early on the main issues for me included:

1) misquotations in the literature that claimed support for the NWT from people who did not support the NWT

2) the organ transplant taboo and subsequent reversal - what about those who lost their lives? Do they deserve to be brushed under the carpet?

3) the 1995 generation change and the claim that it was "the creator's promise" that the end would come within a generation of 1914

4) doubts about the Bible narrative starting from Noah and then about most of the rest of the Bible story too

5) more fundamentally a feeling that I wanted to be more "liberal" on social issues than being a Witness allows - i.e on abortion, homosexuality, feminism, treatment of children and so on

6) more fundamentally still a growing suspicion that there is no such thing as truth

• White Dove
    White Dove

Lack of unconditional love.

No matter what my children do, I will always love them.

No matter what my parents do, I will always love them.

I may not wish to spend much time with one or the other because of personality quirks, but I would never snub them or refuse to talk to them or return their mail. NEVER!

I interpret the love that Jesus spoke about was just like that.

• minimus
    minimus

I recognize people are imperfect. It's the JW intolerance that's so wrong. They make you accept something and if THEY decide to do an about face, then you must accept it. Period. NEVER question them or else!!!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mini, the gov bod preaches all the time about the Pharisees. They promote the very attitude of the Pharisees. They are modern day Pharisees. I saw this long before I left. I sadly realized, after they broke me physically, emotionally and spiritually, that they are the Pharisees. I'm sitting here shaking my head. Who would want to stay behind and be with Pharisees?

• minimus
    minimus

Flyin', you're right. They personify the Pharisees but I actually think they're worse.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Min, I can picture Jesus boldy walking into the building where the gov bod works and plays and fashioning a whip out of ropes and driving them all from the building. He'd turn over file cabinets, throw office furniture through the windows, knock over shelves with books. He'd walk into one of their meetings and point his finger at them, loudly proclaiming them offspring of vipers. White washed graves and so on. Oh yeah and he'd call them Pharisees. "You Pharisees, you hypocrites!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit