Richard Dawkins Gets "Expelled" by Ben Stein!

by Perry 365 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Yes, it is ironic that the Priest who claims to have proved by mathematics, at least circumstantially, that God exists also believes in evolution. Are you and Perry also willing to acknowledge his belief in evolution, or is he half-demonized?

This priest is news to me. Is this him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Heller

Now THAT's a Polack!

Burn

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

BurnThe Ships

You have equipped yourself well in our encounter. I shall treat your short-sword with respect.

I am, however concerned about your obsessive compulsion to burn ships. I am sure you have your reasons but it is an unpleasant habit.

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris

TG

• real one
    real one

Yes, it is ironic that the Priest who claims to have proved by mathematics, at least circumstantially, that God exists also believes in evolution. Are you and Perry also willing to acknowledge his belief in evolution, or is he half-demonized?

HS

are we speaking of the same scientist?

• real one
    real one

That was an episode of the Simpsons BTW.

Besides we all know Thor exists. I don't watch that show. How is thor, another false God?

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I'm sure this has been brought up, but I wanted to add what I think. Me and my Mom had a discussion about this film before it was released. Stien would be in the right...if....Intelligent Design wasn't based on a Christian God concept. Would all these ID people be in support of it if they said that a different non Christian Deity created all this? Of course not.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Look you thick skulled buffoon, how many times do I have to repeat myself on the same thread? I find myself simultaneously having to defend evolution from nutjobs on one end of the spectrum, and demonstrate its failed application while simultaneouly and verbosely asserting its inherent benigness to idiots on the other!

DIOS MIO!

I'm turning in my chips for the night, this place is giving me a headache.

Burn

Well at least it can't be said that you're taking yourself too seriously, Burn- Fearless Champion of the Mute God.

• Perry
    Perry
    Me and my Mom had a discussion about this film before it was released. Stien would be in the right...if....Intelligent Design wasn't based on a Christian God concept.

You bring up an interesting view point Burger Time. I believe this view is shared by a great many people. When I was a Jehovah's Witness I mocked and turned my nose up to anything that was remotely Christian.

Eventually, while in college taking Sociology courses, I began to question whether or not I had a good grasp on exactly what it was that I was rejecting.

Would all these ID people be in support of it if they said that a different non Christian Deity created all this? Of course not.

The Discovery Institute is no doubt influenced by the Judeo-Christian Western Culture in which it resides, just like our socail morees, customs, politics, laws and language are. So what? It states that it is not Christian though. However, this is irrelevant to the gathering of supporting evidence of a designer which is their work.

I believe that a world view cannot be separated from the observer or the practioner. I also note, that the terms religion and God are not very interchangeable. A religious person may be more interested in ritual as a way of creating mood change and less interested in a personal relationship with Diety. I suspect a Buddhist may generally fall into this catagory. I do not believe this is the way Christianity should be approached though. And, I personally find ritual unfulfilling.

However, others are not like me; they like the ritual without the relationship. Likewise, I suspect some scientists in my opinion have a relationship with the process (ritual) of science to the exclusion of any larger reality that it might refer to. That's fine too. Thought (or employment) should not be constricted to certain types of people. That is what the I. D. movement is about. Why should some scientists have the latitude to bring up ambiogenesis, self-existing multi-verses, and flying spaghetti monsters like Dawkins did in his interview with Ben Stein, and other scientists have their careers destroyed because they mentioned "unapproved" words like design, designer, or heaven forbid - God.

For me, Christianity offers the best explanation of the evidence I personally observe in my environment. People conduct science all the time in their personal lives just as science conducts faith all the time. For instance, a scientist will proceed with his experiments on the basis of his faith, his hypothesis. He hopes to find supporting, testable, and repeatable evidence for his faith.

I proceeded along the same lines. I formed a hypothesis that I was separated from God, and he was unknowable to me because of my sin. I postulated that since I observed great order in the universe, God also must be a God of great order. The evil and suffering I observed in the world seemed to suport my hypothesis that God has alienated himself from much of mankind. I further concluded that the observable, testable, and repeatable moral failures in my life must also put me at odds with him.

I further deduced that an intelligence so vast so as to be responsible for the "universe" inside of just one cell, let alone the universe and all the testable "fine tuning" thereof would be absolutely unknowable to me unless he himself chose to reveal himself. So, going with what I did know, and not with what I didn't know.... I made peace with God through the instrument of the cross. I asked God to save me from myself and my lostness. I did this without any confirmation, evidence, or any observable responses from the Diety at all. I accepted as a hypothesis that God already took the first step on the cross in reaching out to me. I felt that the next move was mine. After many years of contemplation, I took that next step.

Thereafter, things changed, little by little. It really was God's turn if he really existed. He didn't let me down. I had more than one "Damascus road" experience. These were proof for me that my hypothesis was correct and that God could be known, observed, and tested in a meaningful way that goes beyond hypothesis or faith.

So, you are correct in a sense: If there weren't Christians, the I.D. movement might not mean as much . Christians are especially delighted to know God personally and are fascinated by his nature, part of which is inside of them through the process of the re-birth.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Well at least it can't be said that you're taking yourself too seriously, Burn- Fearless Champion of the Mute God .

God is not mute, Nvrgnbk, the fearful Deaf Man.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I began to question whether or not I had a good grasp on exactly what it was that I was rejecting

It's a shame you have never decided to get a good grasp on evolutionary theory, and no looking at christian apologist websites doesn't count.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    God is not mute, Nvrgnbk, the fearful Deaf Man.

Ok.

So what's He saying?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit