Richard Dawkins Gets "Expelled" by Ben Stein!

by Perry 365 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Perry
    Perry
    It's a shame you have never decided to get a good grasp on evolutionary theory

Caedes,

In your opinion, what do you think is the strongest argument that you can think of for evolution? Please, first define the term "evolution" so we don't waste time there.

Perry

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

So what's He saying?

She told me for you to bring beer and fine cigars when you come up!

On a serious note....you ever wonder if all these people who claimed to talk to God weren't just mentally ill? Obviously those who wanted to manipulate the system for power and money weren't. But true believer's who hear voices.....hummmm! Today we just put them on med's.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Ok.

So what's He saying?

Words are imperfect representations, you'll have to learn to listen for yourself. "Hear's" some advice, taking you're fingers out of your ears helps you to hear the symphony.

Burn

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    you'll have to learn to listen for yourself. "Hear's" some advice, taking you're fingers out of your ears

A little arrogant assuming I haven't been listening?

The idea that only special people are graced with receiving God's communiques is worn out, isn't it?

She told me for you to bring beer and fine cigars when you come up!

I got the cigars. Nellie's has the beer, right?

• Caedes
    Caedes

Perry,

I would say that is a subject for another thread, but your posting history makes me somewhat skeptical of your sincerity.

If you decide to start another thread on the subject I will endeavour to contribute.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    Nellie's has the beer, right?

Yes.....yes they do! Although I've made a personal goal of trying to drink it all.

• Perry
    Perry

Already been through all that Caedes. For every contentionable item that evolutionists throw out there, Creationists have a counter example. I am curious though what one thing, in evolution, led you to believe that there is no God. Or, at least to strongly suspect.

For me, it was the design and the fine tuning of there universe that led me to strongly suspect the existence of a creator. The evidence is overwhelming to me. As a student of sociology, I am led to believe that the conflict between evolutionists and creationists is of an entirely different nature than science.

• inkling
    inkling
    define the term "evolution" so we don't waste time

Too late?

[inkling]

• 5go
    5go
    Besides we all know Thor exists.
    I don't watch that show. How is Thor, another false God?

The problem in proving a god exists is just that, you proved a god exists. You haven't proven your theology correct. So if a god exists why can't it be Thor? If it is then, we are all screwed. Most of us aren't going to die in glorious battle and make it to Valhalla. So just about everyone here will be doomed to be sent to the domain of Ell. Or worse it could be Allah.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Eugenics has become a word that everyone must decry as false or be shouted down.

But the truth is that a form of eugenics has been practiced long before Darwin came along. Ancient peoples probably noticed that when close blood relatives had children they suffered deformities far more often than offspring from non-relatives. Of course they didn't understand about genes so they quite reasonably attributed the deformities to a divine curse or similar and made religious edicts preventing such mating. To this day most societies disapprove of brothers and sisters etc. having children.

Whilst evolution is primarily guided by natural selection, unnatural selection (say, dog breeders) can also force species to evolve along a different path than they otherwise might have done. This is as true of humans as it is of dogs. Don't get sentimental that we are biologically different. Just because monsters like Hitler went to the extremes of terrifying brutality does not make human eugenics automatically untrue or inherently evil. The ancient custom of preventing close relatives from mating is a mild mannered form of eugenics that benefits us all by preventing potentially dangerous recessive genes from becoming dominant (or preventing Thor's/Jehooby's curse if you prefer).

Preventing brother/sister matings is unnnatural, human guided selection at work - i.e. eugenics. Although you can mate with almost anyone in the world of the opposite sex you can't mate legally with everyone. This is controlled selective breeding, though of course in its mildest possible form.

And like most things (like the answers I no doubt will get), it can be taken to extremes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit